Groups list

McLEMUR

You know there is no reason to come off that harsh. If she wants to put her name in the hat that is her choice, and if Koby want her help that is also his choice.There is no reason for negative comments. You might want to be a little more considerate when making remarks like that. A harsh word never helps accomplish anything.

I don't see how pointing out that someone broke one of the unwritten rules of the internet is a bad thing tbh. Staff picks staff for a reason. To you it might be seen as "throwing her hat in the ring" but I guarantee that I'm not the only one who thinks it speak of desperation instead of actual interest in helping the community.

• Like 1

Look, I was just offering. If I'm not wanted, then okay. If I'm wanted, that's okay too. Trust me, I will not be hurt if I'm not wanted. My life doesn't depend on it. End of story. I have no interest in getting into it with you, Loki. It's a waste of time and it's pointless. If you want to continue, do it by yourself.

Edited by Sakura Rei

I don't see how pointing out that someone broke one of the unwritten rules of the internet is a bad thing tbh. Staff picks staff for a reason. To you it might be seen as "throwing her hat in the ring" but I guarantee that I'm not the only one who

thinks it speak of desperation instead of actual interest in helping the community.

I can see you point, but what matter is it to you. It is not our decision and I don't think that comments by us will persuade the "staff" either way. Your comments end up just being degrading and unwelcome. Please just reflect on being a little more considerate of others.

• Like 1

Reptoholic, I do appreciate you trying to help, but I don't want an arguement started offer this. There is no point to it. I understand both of your point of views. Like you said, "It is not our decision and I don't think that comments by us will persuade the "staff" either way." Look...if it is that much of a bother, nothing further will be said.

Reptoholic, I do appreciate you trying to help, but I don't want an arguement started offer this. There is no point to it. I understand both of your point of views. Like you said, "It is not our decision and I don't think that comments by us will persuade the "staff" either way." Look...if it is that much of a bother, nothing further will be said.

don't worry about it to much Sakura Rei and just go about doing what you normally do when using the forums, you don't necessarily need to be a member of staff to help out. being a member of staff can be a bit stress full just ask EO as i believe she has to be the most stressed out member of staff, though i could be wrong.

if said anything wrong in this post i do apologize.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with offering to help, maybe do it in a PM next time to avoid Loki's wrath...

Where can I find a copy of these unwritten rules of the internet?

I had to mention how much this cracked me up when I read it, I'm hoping that the writer understood the humour in their writing of this (I'm assuming so anyway). I suspect these rules are copied in various vapourwares out there, everyone knows about them yet they tend to have a certain amount of variability suiting the person referencing them them at the time. I've been hearing about these rules for over a couple of decades now and have yet to actually find a list of them anywhere, they are as elusive as that dammed Scarlet Pimpernell! LOL

Edited by Bluenoser

I had to mention how much this cracked me up when I read it, I'm hoping that the writer understood the humour in their writing of this (I'm assuming so anyway). I suspect these rules are copied in various vapourwares out there, everyone knows about them yet they tend to have a certain amount of variability suiting the person referencing them them at the time. I've been hearing about these rules for over a couple of decades now and have yet to actually find a list of them anywhere, they are as elusive as that dammed Scarlet Pimpernell! LOL

They actually were originally codified in RFC 1855. Since we're on the internet, they're changing constantly, though. Then again, refraining from offering help is usually not included, so whatever.

Regardless, zx0 certainly made a good and funny point. :P

Well Well Well, lets not stray from the topic! we talking about groups!

and if u are so eager to help why don't u come up with some interesting group tags? that would be your chance to prove yourself and attract more useful attention that all that pointless arguing.

ps i have yet to receive information on where those groups are separated and what tags they have

I'm the laziest staff member on Kametsu yet even I do a lot of things when I eventually get on. I never asked for the position and was delighted to accept it, but trust me, it's not all the glory and fun some people think it is when they ask for a role. That's why, although Loki was a tad harsh, she was entirely correct in stating how asking for a position doesn't get you one. I'm a staff member, and trust me, Koby, EO, Sicka etc, are doing an unbelievable job, it's hard work.

Quantifying stress seems rather difficult, so I won't take the title of "Most Stressed Staff Member", haha.

While I have no qualms about asking for a staff position, it has been shown time and again on various fora, as Koby mentioned, those who ask for it generally aren't as qualified for the position as they think. People often find themselves in situations they don't want to deal with and prefer to step down rather than handle it. Consider a situation I had brought up previously before the forum rolled back with regards to bullies on a forum. Bullies differ from trolls in several significant ways--trolls aren't part of the community and never intended to be. They're easy to spot and easy to remove. Bullies, however, are not. They're deeply entrenched in the community, generally highly influential and well-liked in the community, but act in a detrimental manner that isn't always seen or recognised by the general community. People rarely come to the "rescue" of a troll, but bullies generally have people who do come to support them and back them, regardless of the situation.

Removing bullies is painful and difficult--it can culminate into riots, people throwing accusations around based not even on secondhand knowledge but third-, fourth-, and fifth-hand knowledge passed on by others who are well-versed in manipulating emotions and twisting events that had transpired to favour them, make them seem like the victim or otherwise in the right.

It's not just a matter of cleaning up spam or responding to reports, but fostering a community--innovating events, getting people to post and participate, making people feel welcome without being overbearing. It's also fairly political in its nature--one of the reasons why Java refuses to take up a mod or admin position ever again. Everything you say and do, moreso than most any other member but significantly less than the admins, can and will be used against you. When life comes up and you need to take a break, people harangue you and say that someone more qualified should take up the role, someone who won't have life get in the way. As if that were possible, as if there's any one person in the world who never has extenuating circumstances arise that necessitate a departure from their jobs and regular schedules.

A lot of the work the staff here does is largely unseen by the userbase, so you get people who think we don't do anything, that it's a fun and easy job with a sweet status symbol. People who do it for the status or power aren't doing it right and are extremely misguided about what it means to be a moderator. I didn't specifically volunteer to be a moderator--I offered my help to clean out and rebuild the download section after it had been ravaged by the loss of Megaupload. After that, it was moving threads into the Two Cents subforum--a less than exciting job to be certain. I have been a member of this community in some way or another for years and Koby has been witness to my progression and participation in this community through the years.

It's nothing against new people, but since being a moderator is a community position, we need people who are familiar with the community, who will work well with the other staff and help us continue to foster a favourable environment. It's not just about how much you post or how many reports you make. It's not just about how much content you create, although that is helpful. It's not even really about how many questions you answer when people ask for help, which seems to be a niche I have fallen into. Here's a good post on being a moderator, although I'm sure you'll find many more out there like it. It does require, more or less, an almost comprehensive understanding of the person before promoting them to moderator.

One of the things that sticks out to me is the willingness to be unpopular--Koby seems to exemplify this concept, but I have seen the other staff step up and allow the hit to their reputations for the good of the community--myself included. A lot of people don't particularly like that--and trust me, I tend to be a people-pleaser and prefer to avoid confrontation. It requires being faced with people who do, enjoy, or believe in things that don't sit well with me or disgust me, things I otherwise disagree with--even people who just plain annoy or bother me, people I don't particularly like or am unfamiliar with, people disliked by those I am on good terms with...

... and being willing to step up for them when they're being abused by other members. It also requires being able to step up to those well-liked members and approach them about their rule-breaking, uncomfortable as it may be, and not let them get away with things just because they're your friend or are an established member of the forum. It requires not coming in with guns blazing, but approaching them firmly, respectfully, and calmly to work things out to keep the forum in order.

All that said, we do have a thread requesting suggestions for what you would like to see on the forum, so please direct your suggestions there for the time being. I don't recommend making any threads about the merits or demerits of actually requesting a staff position, publicly or not.

• Like 5

chuckles wow i fall well and below must of what those rules for a good moderator should be oh well i started on this forum back in 2010 and i came here like so many of us originally for the downloads and i got sucked into this community and with a decent connection decided to help out by uploading to megaupload (god so many anime lost there T_T) eventually i earned the status of uploader and struck up a personal friendship with koby, eventually when he started promoting again i stepped up and asked him to be made an SMOD and so he did and i worked my ass off helping with this forum not because i enjoyed the power or ability but because i wanted to help, my homepage is this site and everytime i open up my browser i take a quick flick through the user list and new posts checking for obvious things like bots and the like to ban them, 90% of what we do here is invisible to you guys, when we upgraded this forum i spent 2 hours manually upgrading every single donator back to their donator status and let me tell you something holy god is that a mind numbing task click, click, right click, click, and click then rinse and repeat for 114 people,

its not an easy job and more then once ive had to crack down on people or tell them they cant do this and yeah if your gonna be a mod being popular is not the way to go trust me when you kick someone for 3 days for being an asshole they will NOT like you and more then once ive had to deal with really difficult situations like harrassment or bullying or trolling its not all fun and games and a very very big responsibility one i take very seriously, i dont post around much because my grammar is just atrocious as im sure you can see by this post, and im not very good at socialization if i dont have an interest in the subject at hand i have a very difficult time coming up with something decent to say but regardless i do my job in the background from fielding the questions of the new guys to popping some guys in the back of the head for overlarge signatures

as for Sakura asking for a job, prove you want it keep active in the community do good posts follow the rules and when koby decides he needs more staff then well look at those who should be good at thier job and well grounded and well pick out who we want well mostly him im basically a super powerful ultra mod, koby still has controls over all the administrative functions of the site i just have the power of profile editing and promotion/demotion, eventually i may get more but im happy where im at right now

on a side note its been a long while since i posted something so large

• Like 3