Games that should be made into animes or the reverse

Dark_Angel13

I might sound a bit odd, but I don't think any game should be made into an anime or movie. Why? The game already tells the story, show graphics, play sounds and music, and most games that come out have some kind of acting. The player gets to experience all these things and has gameplay features as a bonus.

I wouldn't care much for the exact story being switched over, but heck they do that with everything. Books, Comics, Light Novels, etc... all get turned into anime and people bitch when they don't follow the source exactly.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want some games turned into anime. I'd actually like it. I'm just saying, I'd rather see a new plot when it happens. Take for example Resident Evil. It has 2 CG anime movies, but rather than simply take one of the games and turn it into the movie, they've came up with a new plot that ties into the games. Such as the first one being set like 6 months after the evens of the fourth game. Now something like that I'd be completely interested in seeing more games done that way.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I think Panzer Dragoon would make an awesome anime.

I always thought MechWarrior would make a good anime.

Aquanox, it's under water and has submarine combat. That's enough for me.

Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit, totally sucked as a game but could make a good anime if done right.

Not sure if Oni has an anime or not, but it kind of reminded me of a cross between Armitage and Ghost in the Shell. It could also be good if done right, but would probably be redundant.

Serious Sam could also be a good one if it was done in a similar way to Desert Punk.

I haven't really been all that impressed with most of the newer games, except for Portal. I don't think it would make a good anime, but I'd watch if it ever happens.

To weigh in on the discussion about whether adaptations are a good idea or not--there are certain things that can be done in each medium that can't necessarily be achieved in another.

Switching viewpoints is easier and more seamless in a non-interactive medium like a movie or show. If you switched halfway through Portal to play as GLaDOS, it'd feel pretty weird to suddenly have to work against Chell. And then to switch back and continue working against GLaDOS? What would the point even be? I'd feel conflicted as hell--if I could, I would throw as much of the game as I could while playing as GLaDOS.

In an adaptation, though, it wouldn't be weird or jarring to spend some time with GLaDOS. You could get information about what happened from GLaDOS's point of view, things that Chell couldn't possibly see. You can still cheer for Chell and want her to succeed, but another layer of depth is added because the audience now has some insight from GLaDOS and other sources.

So like with Dangan Ronpa, which is a game that is getting an anime adaptation, you spend the whole game viewing events from Naegi's viewpoint. There are definitely things that happen in game I would have loved to see, but these are things that wouldn't make sense for Naegi to have been a part of. It would have been jarring for the game to switch around perspectives.

But an anime can easily do that. It can fill in the blanks where Naegi wasn't around because the audience is no longer an active participant and maintaining a single viewpoint isn't as important for immersion. Anime can create and maintain immersion through other means.

I'm not disagreeing that a video game can convey a story successfully, because they definitely do. It's just people have certain expectations for a game that don't carry over to other media like movies and anime, and vice versa. If you want to explore different aspects of a story, one medium may be more effective than the other.

• Like 1

An MMO version of Soul Eater where you could choose to be a weapon or Miester would be pretty sweet.

That's an AMAZING idea! Oh my god. Though I can imagine it being the cause of a lot of fights, ahah. xD

I wouldn't mind a Kingdom game. Would be quite fun!

I had been thinking about this one for a long time. It will probably never happen but if it did, I still can't decide if I would want to be the weapon or the Meister wielding it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the gaming industry supports the anime industry very well. You never see people just think up an anime game and make it.

That is true I suppose and no the gaming industry doesnt support the anime industry very well but imagine if they did, every new anime would be a new game!  lol

I don't think the gaming industry supports the anime industry very well. You never see people just think up an anime game and make it.

That is true I suppose and no the gaming industry doesnt support the anime industry very well but imagine if they did, every new anime would be a new game!  lol

That would be amazing lol. There are so many i would get but wouldn't some of them just turn into dating sims. Clannad for example would more than likely be one. Your actions would determine who you end up with that might be interesting.

That would be amazing lol. There are so many i would get but wouldn't some of them just turn into dating sims. Clannad for example would more than likely be one. Your actions would determine who you end up with that might be interesting.

A Hellsing game is my dream lol, they probz have one I just dont know about it haha. Dating sims arent so bad, especially if you love the anime and wanna see the main in an anime with someone FINALLY!

A Hellsing game is my dream lol, they probz have one I just dont know about it haha. Dating sims arent so bad, especially if you love the anime and wanna see the main in an anime with someone FINALLY!

very true lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So today I was reminiscing about Outlaw Star and how totally cool the Starship battles were in the show and it got me thinking. "Could you take this universe and make it into a customizable Starship game." Now I don't know a lot about computers but I just thought it would be cool to have a game where you could make your own grappler ship and crew kind of like EVE online. But it would have the playability of HAWX. I love thinking about the possibilities but, it's always kind of a downer when I realize a game like that will never exist. Oh well, just another idea I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking a Fullmetal Alchemist MMO where you could create your own alchemist would be sweet. You can start off as just a simple soldier for Amestris and then learn alchemy and get a state title. Then like in Old Republic you could just pick your own title and specialize in one or two kinds of alchemy flame, health, weapons etc. Just another thought from the noggin but, ya know whatever.