Measures I'm Considering.

Koby

i agree their is a certain amount of frustration that comes comes with posting anime

but if don't have thick enough skin it can seem like ever one is just leeching not giving

props but truth be-told if i was posting anything on the net would pray for 1 in 500 to

say thanks sad but true i have sympathy your lake of appreciation and say hang in their

and just delete the spammers and take a grain of salt when it comes hoping for a little

gratitude

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how annoying it can be to go to a post and find that a good number of the post are just people talking about nonsense. O by the way I am new to this form. But I am not a spammer. I would like to contribute to the form in any positive way that I can.

I like to post and make comments on certain subjects, but some of the subjects don't appeal to me or I know nothing about it. Maybe it could be because of my age, but I do read the date of the first post so I don't necro post. I greatly appreciate the uploads and all the hard work everyone does. My local T.V. station doesn't play anime like it use to and it's to the point that there is nothing on any more. My daughter and I love to watch anime together. Keep up the great work and good luck with this problem.

Just an idea (and I'm not too sure how it would work, but...) what about something like a warning system normal people in the forums can use on other people in the forum. So as to stop spammers, I mean like if someone is spamming the forum and none of the mods have seen it yet there could be a button or something to click on under the message the spammer is posting that will send a mod a message to that tells them to pay attention to that person. Maybe anyone with a certain number of post should be able to give warnings out against other people. Could make it easier to find spammers that way. Or maybe have a task force or something for it.

Just an idea (and I'm not too sure how it would work, but...) what about something like a warning system normal people in the forums can use on other people in the forum. So as to stop spammers, I mean like if someone is spamming the forum and none of the mods have seen it yet there could be a button or something to click on under the message the spammer is posting that will send a mod a message to that tells them to pay attention to that person. Maybe anyone with a certain number of post should be able to give warnings out against other people. Could make it easier to find spammers that way. Or maybe have a task force or something for it.

Well on the info area of a post, you know under your avatar. There is an image that looks like report.gif that. You can click it to report a post which then sends the report to the staff room for any staff member to see an take care of it.

I'd rather not give a whole lot of powers to just everyone who reaches a certain amount of posts. Because just because they reach that limit doesn't mean they are responsible enough to handle it.

However I'll probably want to hire some more moderators that can help maintain spammers.

I'm not sure how mods can temp suspend members though.. but cloud1414 seems to have done so before so they must have the option somewhere. I just temp ban them in the admin cp and give em a warning to when they come back not to spam or risk permanently getting banned.

Since you mention having to deal with so many members, you're probably annoyed at having to go to the Admin CP so much. That said, I was wondering if you would be interested in a modification called "One-touch Spam Ban and Cleanup."

That modification adds an option to the drop-down menu of a user which, upon selection, directs you to a page that asks for confirmation on several actions (which you may enable or disable in the Admin CP), such as deletion of a member's posts ("soft" or "permanent"), or the banning of a member.

Unfortunately, I do not know if you can select the type of ban, though if you enable the option, members banned may be moved to a designated user group for sorting. In any case, it may be worth checking out, as it may quicken and ease the process for many of the tasks you have to perform often.

In any case, as a fellow manager for a vBulletin-run forum, I thought I'd throw that out there.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you do not want people simply dropping in to download anime from this site. You want them to be regular members who contribute to the forums and add to the community. If that is the case, then having such a low post number necessary before being able to download is only going to encourage spam. "oh I just have to make a few posts and I'm free to download!" Of course people are just going to post nonsense to quickly get the post counts out of the way.

I would recommend a decently high number. 25 posts, perhaps even 50 or 100+. You cannot easily spam 50 posts in a hurry, and if you try, it's a lot easier to catch them. This way, the people who have established themselves here for a bit, and shown at least a small bit of loyalty to your site will be granted the "privilege" of being able to download anime.

Just thought I would throw my thoughts in here since the situation seemed to be frustrating you a bit. Good luck with this!

It sounds like you do not want people simply dropping in to download anime from this site. You want them to be regular members who contribute to the forums and add to the community. If that is the case, then having such a low post number necessary before being able to download is only going to encourage spam. "oh I just have to make a few posts and I'm free to download!" Of course people are just going to post nonsense to quickly get the post counts out of the way.

I would recommend a decently high number. 25 posts, perhaps even 50 or 100+. You cannot easily spam 50 posts in a hurry, and if you try, it's a lot easier to catch them. This way, the people who have established themselves here for a bit, and shown at least a small bit of loyalty to your site will be granted the "privilege" of being able to download anime.

Just thought I would throw my thoughts in here since the situation seemed to be frustrating you a bit. Good luck with this!

I proposed that same idea not too long ago, darling. A lot of people seemed to be against it.

I proposed that same idea not too long ago, darling. A lot of people seemed to be against it.

I dont see why alot of people would be against it that are already on the site i mean it wouldn't affect them that much and even if it did affect them and they left youd at least know who was loyal.

Since this has been solved, and new Mods/Smods are assigned.

I request lock/close on this topic.

It hasn't been solved and even if new mods or what not have been assigned that doesnt mean there will be any less spam so i believe this topic should stay open so people can discuss this and so that hopefully someone will have an idea that koby will use

yes, I apologize. I didn't know if this had been resolved or not, so I thought I would post some ideas in here to try to help and resolve the issue. forgive me if I posted out of place.

Well it kind of has been resolved but kind of hasn't i believe this thread is a good discussion. Yes we may have stricter Mods but the post thing does need some retooling or so a lot of people think.