Which would you prefer, PS3 or Xbox 360?

asassin06

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, this may get into the tech aspect of the systems, but I felt it had a majority of the content focused on the actual game consoles themselves.

Alright, and welcome to the Console war, let's meet our competitors:

Xbox 360: No stranger to the PC world, and manufactured by one of the biggest computer companies in the entire world. With its windows related features, and integration into the Microsoft and Live network, it's a tough competitor when it comes to setting the standard. The Xbox 360 has been praised as the coding standard for game consoles in this day and age, for it's ease of coding. The question is: Does the fact that it's backed up by these big name companies that we've all known for years, really make it superior? Or is it just over hyped?

Playstation 3: We know them, we love them, they made the best selling console of the last generation, it's SONY. SONY's more recent addition to the Playstation family, the Playstation 3, or PS3, boasts a massive powerhouse unit, with a cell processor, better graphics, and high def blu-ray disks. SONY has really taken a minimalist attack on consoles, saying less is more, but is that really true? Is a more minimalist approach really the way to go? Are these so called "superior graphics" really superior? Well that's what we're going to find out.

Alright, a little background about me, and my history in gaming:

I've been playing video games since I was old enough to talk. The first game I ever picked up was an old 1980s style Gameboy with Mario Land. Growing up I was a big Nintendo person, and marking my favorite console of all time as the Super Nintendo. I have owned every console Nintendo has ever made, both the successful, and the failures, however I owned and touched a lot of other consoles as well.

Growing up with the NES, and then the Super NES, I also owned a Sega Genesis at the same time, and I got into the Sega CD, and the 32X, which to this day I still hold as the worst gaming addition to a system of all time. I was one of the few people I knew that was able to own both major consoles and have enough to support a library of games for them. The Genesis was great, and until the Sega CD, in my opinion was matched even with the Super NES.

When we finally entered the 3D age, I actually owned two playstations, and an N64, which to my surprise both once again were very evenly matched, both pumping out great titles like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy 7, and Zelda and Mario. The Sony Playstation was the first console I recall being able to play audio CDs (besides the Sega Dreamcast, however due to it never taking off, I really don't consider it a lot of the time. Despite it being a ground breaking system). Doing that, I say was part of the start of consoles becoming more of media centers rather than just game consoles.

I never owned the original Xbox, however I have played it extensively, and at the time, it seemed fairly useless aside from its online play. Even having the best graphic capabilities didn't do it for me, as we all know by now from the past (Super NES Vs. Sega 32X, Playstation/N64 Vs. Sega Dreamcast, etc) that having the best graphics is almost never what wins it for a system. Still, for titles like Halo and Halo 2, the Xbox earned itself a sequel system.

As for the Gamecube and PS2, I owned both, and realized the PS2 earned the bestseller title it received, games like God of war, Final Fantasy 12, and even cross platform games like Resident evil 4, were absolutely beautiful on the Playstation 2. Let's not forget the wide selection of anime games, and Japanese games. Let's face it, Playstation IS the RPG console.

Entering the next generation for me would start with the Wii, and at the time, I didn't see a lot of reason for online play, as most games were just FPS, which although I enjoy, I found a lot of the online experiences to be the same. I was more in it for gameplay, and the Wii certainly delivered in the area of new gameplay ideas, however that doesn't mean I didn't like the old classic way of holding a controller.

After Halo 3 was released, I was drawn more to the Xbox 360, as I saw a better library of games being released than previously. Games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Fable 2, made me realize that American RPGs CAN be decent, however the Xbox 360, I think we all know is about the shooters, which it delivers excellently.

The Playstation 3 was the last console I got into in the next generation, however it is definitely not something to laugh at. Media center is the focus of this next generation it seems, and with it's Blu-ray, and amazing high def support, the Playstation 3 is ready to deliver. Let's also not forget, this system was indeed built for a future that is soon upon us. Game wise, we have to mention, our wonderful JRPG friends, and also it is capable of delivering an excellent FPS experience that can rival the Xbox.

I'm a fairly well rounded gamer, as I like a little of everything, and I give all systems credit where it's due.

A big debate between gamers is which is better: The Xbox 360, or the Playstation 3? Well, we're going to put them both to the test. We're going to look at all aspects of the consoles. For those who already own one or the other, or you're just looking for what to buy, perhaps this will help you check out these consoles.

This will be broken up into several parts, examining all aspects of the consoles, and not just a simple "This one is better", we're going to look at WHY it's better, and break it down. Please note this may expand over several posts for several days.

Round 1: The Interface

One of the most important aspects of a console, is what happens when you turn it on. How easy is it to get to your games, and how nice is the ride getting there? We'll be examining the PS3s XMB with the Xbox New Xbox Experience interface.

Xbox: The Xbox interface, upon start up connects right to Xbox live, and takes us right to the spotlight section. The interface is graphically appealing, and you're able to apply themes to it, and the avatar system, although a blatant rip off of the Wii's Miis, I'd say it's a better incarnation. The mini dashboard that you have access to within game is excellent, and makes it so the menus are never too far away. An excellent integration, making it easy to change settings even while in game.

A downside though, is that the graphical part causes it to slow down, and a lot of the content you have to scroll all the way to the side to find. Not to mention that some things take a long time to load up. Let's also not forget that it is absolutely spammed with ads for paid content and advertisement for consumers. A lot of the panes I wish I could just turn off so I didn't have to look at them. Yes, it's good to know that Microsoft is keeping us informed on what's around the corner, but it seems like every time I turn on an Xbox, they're just trying to sell me something. Let's not forget that most of the themes you have to pay for, and a lot of the time they slow the menus down even more.

Sometimes I have to browse through several menus to find features and settings, which are hidden behind other menus.

PS3: SONY has obviously taken a more simplistic route with their navigation system. Although not as graphically appealing, the XMB offers tons of themes, easy to install, and the ability to make your own. So you can make your interface look as pretty or as bland as you desire.

The one thing I have to say about the XMB is that it's fast. It's quick, and it's NOT convoluted with ads for paid content. Although unlike the NXE the menu features within game are a little limited, they're at least faster overall. It's easier to find things, despite it's ridiculous simplicity.

Winner?: I am going to have to go with Playstation on this one. Not because of its customization, but because at the end of the day, all that matters about a menu is how fast you can use it.

Score so far:

Xbox - 0

PS3 - 1

depends if you like kicking but and taking names would say Xbox, if your more for the internet nerd go for the ps3, but if your more of a multiplayer wo like to play with your friends while getting a good workout the wii is so for you

me personly have to with the ps3/xbox it's a tie cuse i get my plesure of kickassing of 360 while i still get the pleasure of free internet on my ps3

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Sony Man through and through;

I have a PS1 and a PS2 and would if was going to purchase a new console would buy a PS3. Although I have recently upgraded my PC so at the moment I feel there is little need as I can buy all the latest PC titles. I have never had any issues with Sony and I distrust Microsoft and I believe that Nintendo products are targeting young children and family gaming, not really my style.

Am I allowed to say both?

What I like about the Xbox360 is the number of games with multi-player on it, as well as the organization of Live. I own an Xbox 360 Elite, and I like the black color. The controller feels good too. I like the portable hard-drive, at least I think it is portable (haven't tried). What I don't like about it is how costly it is in the long run. Paying for online and certain DLC which are free on its PC counterpart. That and worrying about it getting broken by the infamous RRoD (though my cousin said he had his for 4 years before he got that, and it was the Pro version). I won't have to worry about that for a while since I've only had mine for about a year. The system is pretty noisy, and, right now, it's at a point where my system doesn't turn off completely even when I select the "turn off system" from the menu. The Wireless component costs a lot. Sadly, I don't make much money so I have to be wise on how I spend things.

What I like about the PS3 is for the fact that it has Bluray, and can play most of the media I download, as well as free online. What I don't like about it is the controller. L2 and R2 buttons are too sensitive. Every time I turn my PS3 on from the controller, the system sometimes never turns on and I have to turn it on manually.

Really, I like the systems for the games and not the console. This is sadly the main reason I have been neglecting my Wii for about a year now. Hopefully Metroid Other M will change that... With Halo Reach coming out, I'll be on the 360 again.

.... is it wrong to like both consoles?

I'm a dedicated PC gamer, but if I had to choose a console it would have to be the PS3. IMO graphics are superior, online experience is great (especially since it's free), cool games and blu-ray capable as well.

A lot of people bag the PS3 because of it's price, but you have to remember that it comes with a blu-ray player.