Guys = Girls?

lemmingllama

So as you may or may not know, guys tend to sometimes pretend to be girls, and vice versa. So it got me thinking, is it harder for a guy to pretend to be a girl, or for a girl to pretend to be a guy?

Next question, this one a bit easier/harder depending on what you think. Is it harder for a guy to look like a girl, or a girl to look like a guy? Yes I am sometimes plagued by the weirdest questions, so dont mind my madness.

Personally I think that it is easier for girls to play as guys online, since most people are more extroverted and boisterous online. However, guys seem to be mistaken as girls much more often in real life than girls being mistaken as guys, plus some girls may have a hair/chest problem.

I think that in real life, it is much easier for a girl to pretend to be a guy, especially at a young age, when both sexes still look more feminine and boys voices haven't dropped to an unruly low octave. Also, I have never met a guy mistaken for a girl, but I know plenty of girls that were mistaken for guys, even if for only a couple of seconds.

Online, however, I think it is pretty much equal, because technically you can pretend to be whatever the hell you want to be online.

Unintentionally, someone actually mistook me for a girl on another forum. The way he found out I was a guy was when he attempted to propose a meetup with me over skype with the intention of relaying his misbegotten feelings for me. Of course I refused and had to tell him what was up, but it made it kinda awkward between us on the forums afterwards >.<'''

^That's gotta be awkward as hell. I've never had anyone mack on me for being a male because I make my appearance outstandingly masculine; pretend gay/feminine is just pure fun because it doesn't work. Now when I pretend to be a female online, I can usually pass off as a normal tomboy-ish outspoken girl. Basically, I could mirror mute or mal (for lack of masculine-In Charge women) if I wanted to and so long as I never confessed to being a male, no one could ever figure it out.

Men & Women tend to use different sets of vocabulary online imho, and that is what makes it pretty obvious male/female. However the only flaw to that is the users who tend to type like dis and has poor grmmr+spling. I'd like to say that girls online tend to be more forward with their vocabulary while guys tend to be simplified to a+b=c.

hahha depends on how i feel or how the characters look on forums like this i dont hide what i am but for instance on some games or mmo's ill play female characters merely because as i follow a certain philosophy as a male which would you rather stare at all day? a womans ass? or a mans ass? and you have your question answered, i do not however hide what i am and let anyone know who starts to mistake me that im male i just like the look of the women better

Online in places where I use my real name(Facebook, Twitter, etc), I get mistaken for a girl at times(It probably doesn't help that I tend to use female profile pictures XD) due to the fact my name is androgynous and more commonly(from what I've experienced) a female name.

I've never been mistaken for a girl offline though. XD

Although I'm sometimes told by my friends that I'm rather feminine. I don't believe them. XD

My experiences aside, I feel like online it's equal offline girls can pass as boys a lot easier than boys passing as girls. I think this is mostly due to what's considered "normal" in society. It's a lot more socially acceptable for a girl to throw on baggy pants and a sweatshirt than it is for a guy to wear a dress or a skirt.

I don't think I've been mistaken for a young male, though a few times I've been taken for a middle aged male on the Internet. It seems that, for a lot of people, the default assumption regarding the identities of other people online is "male", because I don't think there's really anything about the way I write that is specifically masculine. Maybe needs more bubbly and smilies. And loud proclamations that I am a woman.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem in diablo 2 oh shit is it annoying

The people in my friends list said they were all guys but when they gave me there skype account names and they opened up the web cam 9/10 they were like 16-21 year old girls....

Lets say i have play with "tom" for a year and when chatting with "tom" turns out to be a 17 year old girl living in new mexico for example.

(diablo 2 battle.net chat commands)

/f r account

/f r account

/f r account

Then add accounts to my channel bot aka steathbot so on channel join they get an instant channel ban + kick.