Kametsu MIA Explained | Future of Kametsu

Koby

i'd say having your own download server is best and most would agree with that after all torrents are too slow.

i know it'l be hard to get one made up though.

if the torrent thing happans though would it be like the whole series in one torrent?

i only joined up on this site get the downloads at first but im staying on.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say having your own download server is best and most would agree with that after all torrents are too slow.

i know it'l be hard to get one made up though.

Except Koby would have to buy servers that can handle the load, and that is many dollars. (I presume, anyway, but I can't say I have much knowledge regarding that whole thing.) Also, there's the issue of legality and not landing Koby in jail because that's just unpleasant.

And I imagine that if a series is complete, it would be in a single torrent (just makes sense), and if it's ongoing, it would be in separate torrents, just to save people the hassle of downloading 2352352362365236 episodes once again. But that's just what makes sense to me--how the uploaders intend to do it may be entirely different, haha.

Having our own ddl file host server is completely out of the question.

It'd cost us literally thousands of dollars each month to maintain.

and again, someone making crap up about torrent speeds when they don't understand torrenting. <.<

Having our own ddl file host server is completely out of the question.

It'd cost us literally thousands of dollars each month to maintain.

and again, someone making crap up about torrent speeds when they don't understand torrenting. <.<

Agreeing here, hosting a dedicated download server is def not going to happen. Emphasis on what Koby said, the cost of doing this would be in the thousands. Not including this will put a bulls eye right on Koby's head; not including any other user funding it could be nailed.

For the whole torrent thing, I don't know where some of you get this info. The health of the torrent is based on seeds in the swarm and the seeds capabilities (like u/p & d/l rate) in a nutshell. This isn't blamed on the torrent, but the users themselves or the users isp. As for the viruses, a very slim chance that will happen on our own private tracker and usually infected files happen cause of untrusted public torrents.

HALLELUJAH!!

we're back dude! good on ya getting it up and running as fast as you did. About the torrent trackers, i haven't read the whole thread (too much crap just now) but, I'm pretty good friends with the guys that run Demonoid, so I might be able to smooch some info off of them to do private torrents. Otherwise, I still reccomend the IRC channels of the (unfortunatly few) groups that still dedicate themselves to it...

I'll get back to koby about the torrent stuff once I know it, but until then, I'm glad that the forum is back! WHOOP WHOOP!

I was finding it rather amusing see people claim that torrents are slow when others have stated they're not, as they said it comes down to the seeding. I do alot of downloading with torrents and at times I get slow downloads as well as fast, some of the downloads had little seeding so for like 3 gig it took about 16 hours because of the lack of seeding, but then i've found ones at like 5 gig and they've come down at like 3 - 4 hours because many people were seeding.

I've stated earlier but I'd suggest torrent downloading myself and as said i'd help with the seeding by keeping things up for a few weeks to about a month.

Glad to see you up and running again,

There certainly is a lot to think about, torrents would be good but getting people to seed them would be an issue....

i dont think it would be an issue cuz we all want more anime so i dont see why people would not seed it would be like a kinda trade, il seed this and you can seed that so we all get what we want =]

me again screw the torrents idea i just been reading up on IRC and there awesome well worth donating for =P

Seeding is quite an issue for some.

Take myself for example, I have a limited upload of 0.5mb/s that is shared between 4 pcs and 3 laptops (and the neighbour leeching that for some inane reason I am not allowed to disable)

IF we could use a program to get it all working right though, that would be the likely best option.

I've had good experience with DC++ at lan events, may be worth looking into.

I will forever still support this site, BUT

BUT!

I don't think you should do away with the downloads section

The government seems to enjoy scaring the piss out of us stupid mice

They're like a snake. It watches the little mice and sometimes it will even EAT one.

The mice will freak out. OMFG we're gonna die

BUT the mice will eventually forget...and return to their happy ways

but...the snake will always be there, watching and waiting.

Creepy i know , but that's the best way I can describe how the government works. They like scare tactics. So they utterly destroy Megaupload and everyone else runs scared of the big bad FBI.

But with Mega gone there's like a huge vaccum of space needing to be filled and filled it will! Trust me! The amount of market for file sharing is too big to be ignored or destroyed despite the governments despicable efforts

What I am saying is give this whole thing some time to blow over, THEN try to find somewhere to put all the file links.

Because giving up the DL section is giving in to them.

And maybe someone REALLY computer savvy could find a way to back up everything in case something like this happens again

All in all I am happy everyone is back :D

That is all

Thing is, regardless of if the server or domain name is out of their reach, I'm not.

Agreeing here, hosting a dedicated download server is def not going to happen. Emphasis on what Koby said, the cost of doing this would be in the thousands. Not including this will put a bulls eye right on Koby's head; not including any other user funding it could be nailed.

For the whole torrent thing, I don't know where some of you get this info. The health of the torrent is based on seeds in the swarm and the seeds capabilities (like u/p & d/l rate) in a nutshell. This isn't blamed on the torrent, but the users themselves or the users isp. As for the viruses, a very slim chance that will happen on our own private tracker and usually infected files happen cause of untrusted public torrents.

I said it earlier before, but I reckon I have to say it again:

You guys should seriously take a look at Usenet/Newsgroups.

Nothing is hosted on any ones personal/purchased server, so you won't have to worry about DMCA/RIAA/MPAA/SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/LMFAO/WTFBBQ takedowns/threats.

There'd be no "omfgwtf dl speed suxorz wtb seed!", I'd say that's a +1 for the torrent-aphobes.

And if you could get a Kametsu newsgroup going, say.... alt.binaries.anime.kametsu,

everyone would still be getting their anime fix from their favourite community.

Those are mostly pros; the cons are a little bit more nerdy - uploading to a newsgroup is a tad (*cough* alot for the everyman *cough*) more complicated then getting a tracker up off the ground.

Here's a few sites that might interest people, if you haven't understood a word of what I've written:

Usenet

Usenet Newsgroups

How to Usenet

Beginners guide to getting anime from newsgroups

TL;DR Newsgroups are pretty alright, you should google it.

great to see Kametsu back. been relying on Netflix for my anime fix the past few weeks.

Koby, i can help seed if you go for torrents since i have no cap, though i won't be able to do much on a 0.4mbps upload. i can also upload my meager 300gb collection to mediafire. i can send you a list of what i have if you want. let me know. i'd like to help get Kametsu back up.

another thing about torrents, instead of doing entire series, how about we do something like 5 episodes per torrent? then people like me with slow connections could download a little, watch that day, download, watch. anyway just throwing out some suggestions.

I said it earlier before, but I reckon I have to say it again:

You guys should seriously take a look at Usenet/Newsgroups.

Nothing is hosted on any ones personal/purchased server, so you won't have to worry about DMCA/RIAA/MPAA/SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/LMFAO/WTFBBQ takedowns/threats.

There'd be no "omfgwtf dl speed suxorz wtb seed!", I'd say that's a +1 for the torrent-aphobes.

And if you could get a Kametsu newsgroup going, say.... alt.binaries.anime.kametsu,

everyone would still be getting their anime fix from their favourite community.

Those are mostly pros; the cons are a little bit more nerdy - uploading to a newsgroup is a tad (*cough* alot for the everyman *cough*) more complicated then getting a tracker up off the ground.

Here's a few sites that might interest people, if you haven't understood a word of what I've written:

Usenet

Usenet Newsgroups

How to Usenet

Beginners guide to getting anime from newsgroups

TL;DR Newsgroups are pretty alright, you should google it.

I may not know much about xddc bots, but at least I've downloaded from them before.

With Usenet, I have absolutely no idea how it works because I've never once used it and I don't have anyone I can go to that has experience with it when I need help with it as I don't know anyone who has used it. The issue with this is, it's also highly likely even less people know how to use it than the other options as well.

I'll read up about it more and see what it's all about though anyways.

Like everybody else here is saying Welcome Back Kametsu and Koby

my personal opinion would be that we wait a few weeks and see what file sharing sites are useable,

if theres nothing useable after that then a private torrent tracker would be the next best thing

but thats just my opinion

Koby, i can help seed if you go for torrents since i have no cap, though i won't be able to do much on a 0.4mbps upload. i can also upload my meager 300gb collection to mediafire. i can send you a list of what i have if you want. let me know. i'd like to help get Kametsu back up.

another thing about torrents, instead of doing entire series, how about we do something like 5 episodes per torrent? then people like me with slow connections could download a little, watch that day, download, watch. anyway just throwing out some suggestions.

I'm guessing you don't have much experience with torrents.

Because you can select what files in a torrent to download. Meaning you don't have to download the entire torrent and therefore splitting series into different torrents is kind of pointless for completed series.

I also only have a max upload speed of 120 kbps that usually averages around 40 kbps instead. :/ However this is where seed boxes come in. A cheap seedbox is as low as $10 to $15 a month. That's the same you'd pay for a premium account at a file host, except the seed box can be used for any torrent on the entire internet.

What a seed box does is download/seed a torrent using a server instead of your home computer. The server is on a much faster connection. Most seed boxes I see for rent online are usually on a 10 GB connection. So it'll seed amazingly fast as well as download amazingly fast. Then you can download the files you want directly from your seed box server through ftp.

gah those tech guys were f**king useless > <

it's great that's kametsu's back online ^^ it was gone for too long =(

anyway downloads.. well i don't have a lot of free time, so my upload posts wont look flash or anything but i'll try to upload as much as i can

i'm gonna use rapidshare and see how that goes..

hmmm seed boxes ay, sounds like a really good idea i'll look into it =)

seed boxes / dedi file hosting can & will end up being a costly endeavor, and exposes the domain to seizure under these crazy radical new laws that they havnt even gotten passed

rapidshare looks good - but only time will tell whether they'll get nailed under the same guise as megaupload.

there will always be reasons for the paranoid not to put themselves out there by sharing their stuff, but end the end if no-one shared anything, where the hell would we be as a society.

(also, most torrent paranoia can be quelled with a decent p2p blocklist)