how do you choose a good anime?

donny8894

im looking for pointers on howtoo pick a good anime,,, any pints would be greatly appreciated :happy:

Well all of us here are anime fans so I guess no one will contradict me if I point out some anime plots that is overly recyled

1) Nakama themes. Try watching Fairy Tail and you will get the idea.

2)Fan Service. High School of the Dead and Freezing are quite notorious on this aspect

3)Excessive technique explaination. I guess no anime will best explain this other than Naruto. 

4)Excessive talk while fighting. "My God, just shut that mouth and kill each other time is running out don't tell me this fight will continue in the next episode" I often say this during the the glory days of Dragon Ball Z. Did you know that Goku vs Freeza battle is the longest in anime history?.

5)Excessive flash backs. Did you know that the Sasori vs. Sakura and Chiyo battle is considered as the longest fight in Naruto Shippuden and more than half of the screen time featured was used to show how Sasori came to be the puppet master or more accurately the puppet that he is now. I came to care about the villain though. 

6)Excessive yelling. Goku, Naruto, Luffy and Ichigo are all guilty of this offense but my mom specially hates Luffy that she yelled at me to minimize the volume.

So any anime that could break from this trend/cycle is something that I will consider good and refreshing to my senses

But there are animes who used all of the above in moderation.

Examples.

Sword Art Online

Attack On Titan

Another

Please like if you agree.
  • Like 1

^ Those are valid points. I grew up watching series with those points always being part of it. I think some would tend to believe it's not anime if it doesn't have any of those. I'd want to like your post but cannot, I keep on receiving this error message about quota. 

Is OP still watching this thread? 

It's up to my preference whether to call an anime "good". I consider the theme, if it shows morality; setting; plot; characters!

• 4 months later...

I go to anidb.net click on "latest" go to the top and pick "hot anime". Then i sort them by rating and check basically anything between the best rating and something around 5.0. If the premise sounds interesting i usually check the first 3 episode or something like that and if i enjoy the show after 3-4 episodes i usually watch it to the end. Also I'm in IRC channels on Rizon and listen to what people enjoy there. Sometimes it happens that I miss out on  a great show but you usually realize it if you do it my way.

• 2 months later...

Something I do and which really works is DO NOT READ THE ANIME DESCRIPTION. ITS ALWAYS DIFFERS FROM THE CORE OF THE ANIME. What I do is select a show (from iTunes or recommendation tab from any good anime i already know in myanimelist).

search google images as 'show-name episode', eg, 'Soul Eater episode'. This will show you episode screenshots of the show. By this you can deduce whether or not you will like the artwork

Finally, watch atleast 3 episodes to get the feel of the anime. It its good or seems to have good storyline I continue watching elese I try something else.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look under the creator of manga or anime I like, and find some stuff there

By anime that look interesting by the picture

Look under genres I watch

Some anime that my mom recomends, except for the sports ones

For new anime starting, I look at the preview and pictures, and look at manga discriptions to see if I am interested

Most anime that start on cartoon network, not adult swim, they have a lot of good battle and battle toy anime

Look for Anime made by Tezuka, Go Nagai, or Ishinomori

Any Wrestling anime without ecchi as the main focous

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

• 2 weeks later...

Like a lot of people said, you really need to watch at least one episode. I've seen plenty of anime with great concepts that sounded totally awesome only to have the implementation suck, and other series that sounded retarded that were awesome (Tsuritama and Hikaru No Go come to mind). As the old saying goes, "Its not what you do, its just how you do it".

That aside, I usually look through recommendations on forums, and any series I see popping up repeatedly I make a note to check out. I also browse by genre if I'm in the mood for something specific. The last thing I would go by personally is a description or review, but only because I've been burned a few times back in the days before online streaming when anime was hard to find and ridiculously expensive.

im looking for pointers on howtoo pick a good anime,,, any pints would be greatly appreciated :happy:

Well all of us here are anime fans so I guess no one will contradict me if I point out some anime plots that is overly recyled

1) Nakama themes. Try watching Fairy Tail and you will get the idea.

2)Fan Service. High School of the Dead and Freezing are quite notorious on this aspect

3)Excessive technique explaination. I guess no anime will best explain this other than Naruto. 

4)Excessive talk while fighting. "My God, just shut that mouth and kill each other time is running out don't tell me this fight will continue in the next episode" I often say this during the the glory days of Dragon Ball Z. Did you know that Goku vs Freeza battle is the longest in anime history?.

5)Excessive flash backs. Did you know that the Sasori vs. Sakura and Chiyo battle is considered as the longest fight in Naruto Shippuden and more than half of the screen time featured was used to show how Sasori came to be the puppet master or more accurately the puppet that he is now. I came to care about the villain though. 

6)Excessive yelling. Goku, Naruto, Luffy and Ichigo are all guilty of this offense but my mom specially hates Luffy that she yelled at me to minimize the volume.

So any anime that could break from this trend/cycle is something that I will consider good and refreshing to my senses
But there are animes who used all of the above in moderation.

Examples.
Sword Art Online
Attack On Titan
Another

Please like if you agree.

Let me add Samurai Champloo to that list as well as Cowboy Bebop.

I look for unique and involving styles and stories, that is rarely done now a days. I do watch mainstream stuff for the combat though.

Just an example of what I am talking about is animes like Hana Saku Iroha and Ano Hita.

That itself is a gamble because when an overview is given usually the description is bland. Like when reading the description for Clannad, I dismissed watching it until it was recommened and was told to atleast watch the first episode.

But those types of animes are once in a blue moon, and I patiently wait every season for animes with unique styles and stories with non fan service ambitions.

Let me add Samurai Champloo to that list as well as Cowboy Bebop.

Skyy-John.gif

I must've missed those episodes of Bebop and Champloo.

I'm not familiar with nakama themes, but for everything else I would call them a case in point. They don't waste time explaining techniques, they keep their dialogue short and to the point, and while neither is completely devoid of fan service, they aren't saturated with it like ikkitousen or HOTD (though I actually liked HOTD's use of fan service, bullet dodging boobies had me laughing for hours) and I don't recall either having a lot of shouting.

The director of Samurai Champloo went out of his way to eliminate many of the things you mentioned, in particular he wanted to eliminate lengthy dialogue and wanted action that got to the point. Nothings perfect, but as near as I can tell he did a good job.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with nakama themes, but for everything else I would call them a case in point. They don't waste time explaining techniques, they keep their dialogue short and to the point, and while neither is completely devoid of fan service, they aren't saturated with it like ikkitousen or HOTD (though I actually liked HOTD's use of fan service, bullet dodging boobies had me laughing for hours) and I don't recall either having a lot of shouting.

The director of Samurai Champloo went out of his way to eliminate many of the things you mentioned, in particular he wanted to eliminate lengthy dialogue and wanted action that got to the point. Nothings perfect, but as near as I can tell he did a good job.

My mistake, I thought you were saying that Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop had all of the things on that guy's list.

My mistake, I thought you were saying that Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop had all of the things on that guy's list.

crap, my bad. I usually check this forum between 1am and 5am, so sometimes my head is fuzzy. I missed the part where he was saying the list was don'ts and not do's

I kind of like by word of mouth. Honestly people are going to suggest different type things that you may have never heard of. I'll ask what they personally like about it. If I feel like it isn't my type I won't look but I have any spark of an interest I'll search for it and read up on it to see if I would like it. Sometimes people just give me their series on DVD's and I'll watch it no matter what. xD