which is more popular MTG or Yugi-oh?

ruhl8881

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never knew anyone who played MTG to ever bother learning it. While YGO was so popular I was playing it the very day it came out state-side. From what I've been told YGO is currently the bigger money-maker. Whether that means it's more popular or not, I do not know, but it at least is making more money.

YGO has a lot of video games, and even fan-made sites/programs to play the TCG for free, but I haven't seen any MTG video games or fan-made sites/programs to play it. So to me that kind of says the fanbase of MTG is likely much smaller.

Although it does appear the MTG fanbase is comprised of people older than the YGO series fans on average, which means people are buying their own cards while YGO is likely being bought by parents for their kids.

Magic makes much more money than YGO and has more tournaments. YGO may have a larger fanbase with the anime and all, but MTG has a more dedicated fanbase. And there are MTG games, just that they are either really old or exclusive to certain consoles

Actually all the sources I've looked up show that MTG barely makes even half of what YGO is making.

In my town at least MTG is super popular compared to Yu-Gi-Oh I was at the card shop the other day and they said they don't hold any yugioh cards anymore cause they just don't sell. They have had 2 yugioh decks for 2 years just sitting there. But MTG is mostly played by older people then Yugioh, MTG doesn't have a tv story base to it so to a lot of the younger people it might not interest them as much. I am more interested in Yugioh because of the TV show and it's a part of my childhood. My mother, my two brothers and a friend of mine in the US play MTG over yugioh.(I don't know very many people) Only me, my closest friend and one of my brothers play Yu-Gi-Oh out of everyone I know. There's probably also some hypocritical people running around saying Yu-Gi-Oh is childish because of the bastardized TV show. I once put up a Naruto background in school and some kids were telling me it was stupid and childish.

Yugioh as a WHOLE(Anime, Card Game, Apparel, etc.) makes more money because it has more merchandise, and a better marketing scheme. But, if you go into a store that exclusively sells cards(or Collectables), then they will all tell you Magic CARDS sell more than Yugioh.

I personally like Yugioh more because I find the card game more fast paced and exciting, also Magic at this point has almost TOO many cards, and the rules are constantly changing making it become easy to exploit and make decks that are over powered, but Magic has this fan base that will never die(I have friends in their late 30's who play Magic while my oldest friend that plays Yugioh just turned 21). I feel with time Yugioh will get old, or at least won't come out with new sets, while Magic will continue on for a long time.

Also with the Dueling Network I don't know how much longer Yugioh the card game will continue to make money off it's cards. :|

Also with the Dueling Network I don't know how much longer Yugioh the card game will continue to make money off it's cards. :|

There has been free ways to play YGO since close to the beginning of it coming out in the US market. Dueling Network is not the first and likely won't be the last way to play the TCG online with friends for free.

• 3 months later...

Personally, I couldn't choose between the two if I didn't have more experience with Yu-Gi-Oh.

I love playing the MTG games that I got from Xbox Live Arcade, & that was how I got into playing it.

But Yu-Gi-Oh I'd been playing for years on video games & with the cards, plus I use to love the series (Not really into the new anime, but loved the first series until GX).

Yu-Gi-Oh isn't as mature as Magic, but I like both. Whether you're just looking to play a good card game or to collect cards, both are great in my opinion.

I feel that YGO is more popular, but MTG has a stronger following within it's fanbase.

I tried to get into MTG, but I didn't know many people who played it.

With YGO, it was very easy to find people to play with, and even easy to find tournaments.

Plus, I think YGO is more accessible to younger audiences.

To be honest, I don't remember much of the MTG rules.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Guiness World Records, Yu-Gi-Oh! is the best selling trading card game of all time, based on the number of cards sold, not profit. But i think Magic has a more stable future up ahead, because it's game play mechanic has been pretty well eshablished. Yu-Gi-Oh!'s is ever-changing and reforming, and that causes some dissension among players. Either way I love both games and I wish them bright and properous futures.

• 2 weeks later...

Yugioh is the better game because of the community...

That is like saying that you play an mmo for the game's community o.0

Anyways the upside to it is that it has more players immediately "known", but as far as which is more popular... neither, Magic still has one of the strongest championships, but ironically the most viable championships ccg wise is Pokemon. Have yet to pay an entry fee ever for a pokemon tournament.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that in my area, MTG has a much bigger following, there's almost no interest in YGO.

There are a small group of about 5 or 6 that play YGO, taking over the local card shop 1 day out of 7 (if they even still do it, haven't been in for a while) while the MTG community has people in and out of the shop every day for games, trades and conversation.

• 4 months later...