Latest One Piece Manga Dicussion [Spoilers]

spidey5443

Chiffon got some close calls before Oven could do anything to her, with Bege coming back for his wife. Wonder if something's gonna happen to Carrot when the full moon rises. And Luffy acts like Goku (unless the former's done stuff like this before; can't remember) and will want to bring down Dogtooth at his best. That oughta be a hell of a fight, with more certainly to come with future foes.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:48 PM, Predaking-117 said:

Luffy acts like Goku (unless the former's done stuff like this before; can't remember) and will want to bring down Dogtooth at his best. That oughta be a hell of a fight, with more certainly to come with future foes.

Luffy didn't said things like that before because he was always goofing around and didn't understood full weight of being a captain completely. Now with him getting an experience of how strong an Emperor's power and influence is and the recent war, I think Oda is trying to demonstrate Luffy's maturity with respect to the weight of his position as someone trying to aim for the seat of Pirate King.

Edit: Oh btw; Bege was bad-ass again this chapter.

Edited by dragonamar

On 11/27/2017 at 7:42 PM, dragonamar said:

Luffy didn't said things like that before because he was always goofing around and didn't understood full weight of being a captain completely. Now with him getting an experience of how strong an Emperor's power and influence is and the recent war, I think Oda is trying to demonstrate Luffy's maturity with respect to the weight of his position as someone trying to aim for the seat of Pirate King.

I don't know, I always felt that Luffy has always been surprisingly mature when it matters - remember the lecture he gave Vivi in Alabasta? And dealing with Usopp during Water 7? I don't know if him wanting to beat Katakuri has anything to do with that though - he's always been like that, I think. And I will very disappointed if he suddenly manages to pull future sight level of Observation Haki out of his ass, like was implied in the second last chapter - that just goes completely against the nice power creep One Piece has always had, IMO. Sounds like - well, it sounds like something Goku would do. Or rather, DBZ in general. And that would suck for One Piece.

This chapter has made me actually like Bege, which was totally unexpected. I got some respect for him when I saw his genuine love for his family, but it's even higher now.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:56 PM, dragonamar said:

That scene of ship running over Oven was quite funny but then execution of chiffon's dad left quite a few readers including me sad considering he didn't leave much of impression when he first got introduced.

I'd be a bit surprised if the dad is actually dead - One Piece has ridiculous levels of plot armor most times, almost nobody ever dies. Seriously, apart from Ace and Whitebeard, I can't think of a single other character who's died in anything other than a flashback. Hell, I just checked the wiki, and they haven't even listed Pedro as dead yet due to OP's tendency to rez people. In general, if the reader doesn't see the body, they ain't dead.

Edited by SirVer

23 minutes ago, SirVer said:

I don't know, I always felt that Luffy has always been surprisingly mature when it matters - remember the lecture he gave Vivi in Alabasta? And dealing with Usopp during Water 7? I don't know if him wanting to beat Katakuri has anything to do with that though - he's always been like that, I think. And I will very disappointed if he suddenly manages to pull future sight level of Observation Haki out of his ass, like was implied in the second last chapter - that just goes completely against the nice power creep One Piece has always had, IMO. Sounds like - well, it sounds like something Goku would do. Or rather, DBZ in general. And that would suck for One Piece.

Yes i completely agree that he has surprising level of understanding when it comes to way the world works. But when i say maturity, i meant it as the Captain leading his crew to the top of this pirate era.
Take a look at the Enies Lobby arc. When he learned to push his abilities further it was due to his desire to protect his friends but at that point he hadn't truly known a total defeat which he faced at the Sabaody archipelago and then the War.

I think with Luffy's attitude towards Katakuri, Oda is trying to demonstrate that Luffy now not only just fights to protect his friends but also as someone who understands the true level of the world, and what he has has to overcome in-order to stand at the top of this era as the Pirate King.

34 minutes ago, SirVer said:

I'd be a bit surprised if the dad is actually dead - One Piece has ridiculous levels of plot armor most times, almost nobody ever dies. Seriously, apart from Ace and Whitebeard, I can't think of a single other character who's died in anything other than a flashback. Hell, I just checked the wiki, and they haven't even listed Pedro as dead yet due to OP's tendency to rez people. In general, if the reader doesn't see the body, they ain't dead.

Yes; there is that possibility seeing as Oda refrains from showing deaths unless and until it's truly necessary for the story to progress.

13 hours ago, dragonamar said:

I think with Luffy's attitude towards Katakuri, Oda is trying to demonstrate that Luffy now not only just fights to protect his friends but also as someone who understands the true level of the world, and what he has has to overcome in-order to stand at the top of this era as the Pirate King.

OK, yeah, that makes sense. I just hope he handles it well - I don't want him to get any bullshit powerups out of nowhere. Although, it's hard to see how he'll win without something like that - Katakuri has literally twice Luffy's bounty on his head, after all. I'm not sure even Doflamingo would've been that high, and it took Luffy AND Law nearly killing themselves to beat him.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:47 AM, SirVer said:

I'm not sure even Doflamingo would've been that high, and it took Luffy AND Law nearly killing themselves to beat him.

That fight with Doflamingo was draged on unnecessarily. I mean Luffy had one or two chances to finish him off earlier in the fight but he didn't. Same thing he did in gear 4th. He kept gawking and wasting time instead of delivering the finishing blow. I wouldn't really call that killing themselves because their opponent was too strong; its just this guys were messing around too much.

When it comes to Luffy's current state, I get the feeling he hasn't yet shown all his tricks he learned in those 2 years. That being said I expect the fight with Katakuri to end up in a draw at best or end up being postponed until Luffy comes with his pirate fleet to challenge big mom later in a full scale war.

On 12/8/2017 at 11:18 PM, SirVer said:

Carrot is hot now.

That's the first thing i thought. And its probably due to her height (maybe)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 6:34 AM, Gangstabean said:

How different is the Manga from the Anime...I'm thinking about starting to  watching One piece

Depending on each individual, One Piece can be slow at start unlike other series (speaking from my own experience; i almost got bored at around episode 10; i think ) but once the group gathers it will get interesting.

I prefer to see anime first since it gives a good grasp over the series characters, tone and overall flow. So my suggestion is watch anime first, up till episode 516 (this is up till first half of grand line) and then read manga from chapter 598.

This is a long series, but if one enjoys adventure and shounen series then One Piece is a must watch.

Edited by dragonamar

On 1/16/2018 at 3:04 AM, Gangstabean said:

How different is the Manga from the Anime...I'm thinking about starting to  watching One piece

Not different at all, the anime might be slow at some points dragging on some scenes but still very enjoyable, the anime does have fillers but not that many, some are great but some really bad... just google a filler guide and see what episodes you can skip and stuff :)