How do you convince people to watch Anime?

Diablo

• 1 month later...

Normally I convince people to watch anime by talking about anime I've watched. I really get into describing it so that people get a feel for what I'm talking about. Like, I'll talk about a specific scene and the things that happen in it, and maybe that segues into a conversation about what the anime is about it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A lot of people don't really like to give anime a chance for some reason, so you have to put a lot of effort in if you want to convince someone to watch. But once they watch at least one anime, that usually is enough to hook them. Then you can recommend at will and they'll watch practically anything. At least that's what I've found in my experience.

Hard to say, but you can't show them a series that the western has a habit of using as a stereotype of anime, that's for sure. 

I usually show them what I'm watching and I explain to them why, from there, it's up to them if they want to check anime out. 

Edited by Aesima

since no one knows i acutally have massive archives of anime if someone were to ask me it would go along the lines of this:

them: why do you watch?

me: do you like boob shots and hot teens?

them: YES!!!!

me: your going to just love loli and anime

them: whats that

me: google it your mind will be blown by how awesome it is

------

a few hours later

----------

them: IM SOLD

me: irk

make them watch Spirited away .. it has always worked for me... i have a friend who is a defense analyst so he writes columns and articles of defense policies of different countries he is a top notch Genius even he fell and he showed it to his whole team on bday... at first they said no way we are not kids but as they watched it they fell in love with Miyazaki Magic.. and this  has worked on many people..

show them Spirited Away ....

Personally, if they're completely green to the anime world, I don't volunteer to be their inductor. If they're interested, I try to see what they know and if they're any anime that they're curious about, so that if they a have bad first experience, it was more of their own idea than my own. 

So far, if they haven't had any idea where to start, I've pointed them towards Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It hasn't failed yet.

Edited by The Question

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I describe it like a middle age white woman would describe her soaps so it sounds interesting just with words coming out of my mouth. Then I improvise words while letting them know what I know about x-anime. I guess it would be kinda like being excited and the excitement is so exciting so every one else around you is pumped but you're not really saying much. A good third of the time I just pick a topic point of the anime and go "Oh! This and this! Oh! Let me tell you about this! Oh! I can't! Oh! You have to watch it! Oh! And that thing I just said! Oh! I can't tell you! OhHHHhhHhHHh!~ It's soooo good, I think it's on Youtube, you want me to check? OH!~ We'll watch it off the PS3!! OHHHH!OHHOHOHOH! Wanna smoke a blut while we watch it?! OH~ OH!" After watching like five minutes we'll ether keep watching or end up watching some thing that the other person wants to watch because I feel embarrassed. xD