Director: Warner's Death Note Is Still in the Works

Koby

Director Shane Black confirmed at his Long Beach Comic Con panel on Saturday that Warner Brothers' planned live-action film adaptation of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's manga Death Note is still in the works. However, Black added that the project was in jeopardy because the studio initially wanted to lose "the demon [Ryuk]. [They] don't want the kid to be evil…. They just kept qualifying it until it ceased to exist."

Black said that "the creation of a villain, the downward spiral" of the main character Light has been restored in the script, and added that this is what the film should be about.

Warner Brothers hired Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang; writer of the Lethal Weapon film series) to direct Death Note, shortly before Marvel Studios revealed that Black would also direct Iron Man 3. Anthony Bagarozzi and Charles Mondry were slated to write the Death Note project's script.

Warner Bros. had acquired the rights to the series from previous rights-owner Vertigo Entertainment in 2009. At the time, screenwriter brothers Vlas and Charles Parlapanides were attached to the project.

Sounds like Warner Bros. wanted to fuck up the movie from the very get-go without even the need of having to actually start work on the movie first to screw it up.

It's good to hear it's been straightened out and that Light and will be himself and Ryuk will exist. However I still question the need for this movie considering that there was already a Japanese equivalent that did the anime justice.

Even with correcting the story... I still feel they will screw up sometime down the road with this.

I can assure you that the movie won't be good and I probably won't see it, like I did with dragonball evolution. But I haven't watched the Death Note Japanese movies (should I?), I can only compare it to the anime.

Wait, why would they remove Ryuk and "They don't want the kid to be evil", it wouldn't make sense. The guy has a notebook that kills people that come from the "Reapers". (Sarcasm)Lets remove the shinigami and the evilness from this movie, what a good idea.(/Sarcasm)

I haven't watched the Death Note Japanese movies (should I?), I can only compare it to the anime.

I enjoyed them. The second one ends a little differently and concludes the L vs. Light story. The 3rd movie is a completely original story staring L as he solves a new case (great movie btw). The guy who plays L did so great too.

yeah don't see the demand to make this, they're better off just dubbing the jap version some old school marketing thats what i think.

That's the thing. They've already had the English Dub anime voice actors dub the Japanese movies as well and aired them in select theaters and even released them to DVD in dual-audio.

That's the thing. They've already had the English Dub anime voice actors dub the Japanese movies as well and aired them in select theaters and even released them to DVD in dual-audio.

Whoa! I'll probably search for that and I'll make my brother watch them. Its one of the few anime he's watch and he kind of liked it, i think.

woah, i didnt know that, that sorta warps my view on this to "why bother".

my opinion on this is mute. though i would like to see what they do with death note.

I ordered the movies on DVD from Amazon a while back, they were advertised as Dual Audio...they weren't. So instead, I just downloaded the English Dub...which is what I should have done in the first place.

As for a quick review of the movies...they're okay. L's actor is fantastic, plays the role perfectly, and there are some changes

Light orchestrates the murder of his girlfriend (not Misa) to win L's trust (that entire scene was just badly done, and looked cheaply written, it's just three people standing around in a museum. Plus, Light's father never dies, and L writes his own name in the Death Note, and pretends to die from it (can't remember whether it was Light or Rem who wrote L's name in their Death Note). He does die from writing his own name 23 days later though

The third movie, L Changes the World, was just god-awful. L barely does anything in it, just goes from one place to another, and has only one "Ah-ha, that's what it meant" moment, when it comes

to figuring out the cure for a killer virus

All in all, I can't recall any good live-action movies that were adapted from anime. Can someone suggest a good one? To me, there are certain tropes that you can do in anime but once you remove them and do it live action, it's sort of...translated (best word I can think of) badly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I enjoyed them. The second one ends a little differently and concludes the L vs. Light story. The 3rd movie is a completely original story staring L as he solves a new case (great movie btw). The guy who plays L did so great too.
Actually, the 2nd movie was an ending that Ohba was considering for the anime, but he scrapped it in favor of the "Yellow Box warehouse" ending.

I honestly think that I'll watch the movie no matter what, but I think I'd enjoy it more if they'd stray away Light's story, & come up with a new protaganist, a different Shinigami, & maybe using Near as the antagonist, or use one or some of the unintroduced one letter detectives established in L: Change The World. Doing that would be more enjoyable, kind of like Avatar, a game & movie, but two separate storylines under the same name.