Chatbox Temporarily Removed

Koby

That's not the point of why he is doing this. He is trying to get all users, both old and new posting more. What he is trying to do is essentially revive the forum from it's current dying state. The best way to do that is honestly one of maybe three drastic routes that I doubt anyone would like...

Kek.. asking a question is not suggesting why he temporarily removed the cb o.0 i was asking because he hasnt mentioned the idea yet.. please dont assume that im going to contribute to a meaningless arguement.. please assume that im trying to help by 1# agreeing with kro about the chatbox being on a page that isnt visited first like it is on the homepage and 2# offering ideas/suggestions rather than troll people and tell them what they say is either wrong or not contributing to the help.. that being said.. i still would love to hear koby's opinion on moving the chatbox! =)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kek.. asking a question is not suggesting why he temporarily removed the cb o.0 i was asking because he hasnt mentioned the idea yet.. please dont assume that im going to contribute to a meaningless arguement.. please assume that im trying to help by 1# agreeing with kro about the chatbox being on a page that isnt visited first like it is on the homepage and 2# offering ideas/suggestions rather than troll people and tell them what they say is either wrong or not contributing to the help.. that being said.. i still would love to hear koby's opinion on moving the chatbox! =)

Oh, sorry Bro. I missed Kro's comment, and parts of what others have said, I load the page and it takes me to the last comment, and I forget to read the rest, sorry. but it still wouldn't fix the problem like it needs to be fixed. (which is a simple observation from a few things) and I really didn't mean to troll. again I'm sorry.

I tried putting it only in a certain board but seems I can't do that. The option is for actual file pages. So I can put it on every boards threads page or every boards post page or the index page, etc. Other option is to just add a link to the full CB.

As for the idea of only allowing those who have access to the premium section.. I could easily do that as well, but that doesn't really do anything but prevent new users from using it. It does nothing to help encourage the long time members to try to keep the forum alive.

Oh, sorry Bro. I missed Kro's comment, and parts of what others have said, I load the page and it takes me to the last comment, and I forget to read the rest, sorry. but it still wouldn't fix the problem like it needs to be fixed. (which is a simple observation from a few things) and I really didn't mean to troll. again I'm sorry.

No worries bro. ^_^ Well that stinks koby.. and I understand what you guys mean by it wont help long term members start being more "active".. I have another idea though! for the year and a half that I have been a member of kametsu I have never seen a new section, for example: "Shinra Headquarters", "Media Central", "Content Distro", and "Tantalus Hideout".. Maybe a 5th section would be a nice idea to get people focused on posting rather than using the CB all the time because that section would be more interesting/productive! This is only my idea so if you decide to do this of course you can change it any way you want! My idea would be to add a "Development" section, for game developement subsection(content as in 3d models, tutorials, user help, etc), user created/and or hosted game servers subsection, a Youtube videos subsection of users finished work, General Bussiness plans/ development subsection, and a random development subsection! To sum it up there would be a new main section, "Development" and 5 subsections. Good idea? why or why not? (I sound like an annoying college instructor dont I? xDD)

Edit1: lama thats not a new section xD

I had removed it completely, but decided to re-enable it for those over that. The whole removal is only temporary at this time. However as I did mention the majority of problems reside with the CB and depending on the circumstances it's likely the CB may eventually be removed entirely rather than being enabled again. The staff and I have talked about removing it entirely several times in the past year and despite all the reasons and urges I didn't want to remove such a feature although it's been the cause of a lot of the problems and negatives of the forum for a really long time.

You're point about your own posts is exactly the point. A year and a half and only 293 posts. You've got post per day average of 0.57 which is roughly only one post every other day. Point proven that you rarely actually post as it's easy to post 2-3 posts a day on average. Heck in just the last year my posts went from a little less than 4000 to over 9000. That's over a 5000 post increase in the time you've made only a portion of your 293. You know what? My daily post average is only 5.34 and I actually only post on topics I have something worth posting about and even pass up a lot of topics I could have said something in. So don't blame me for removing a feature that you haven't earned.

As for your point about spamming to 500. That's kind of unreasonable. Why would anyone bother spamming only to gain access to a CB which isn't even the point of the forum anyhow and would likely be removed or the activity requirement removed by the time they reached the point?

My point is.. your point is rather moot and just goes to prove further the reasons why this action was taken to start with although the main point of the removing wasn't the activity aspect, as I mentioned in the first post there were other reasons involved (including testing server usage).

I'm not going to lie Koby, that is where a majority of my post count comes from. I honestly don't use CB enough to complain about it being missing but I literally come on every other day now to see what's anew. Was wondering what happened to CB at first, then saw this in the Newsfeed. /shrugs.

I find it hard to post imho when everyone posts about the same material, constantly. "What console is better, favorite anime series, religious beliefs, etc." It gets old, repetitive, and in worst case scenario - irritating and frustrating. I'm not trying to beat up on other members, but I sometimes believe a me in another universe kills a kitten for every post that I read with poor grammar or misspelled words. I like to discuss things with people on my level of intelligence, none too much higher, and none too much lower. "When ppl typ lik dis?" I tend to get thrown off and promptly ignore the entire post/thread just because I can't find myself posting enough to contribute to the thread without picking a bone with a person, let alone the thought that I may provoke anyone else to make a post as lengthy as mine while staying on topic, AND that they contribute without repeating what has already been discussed.

Dunno why people are complaining about lack of CB either, several members have facebook; I'm sure of it. Not to mention a select few have shared MSN/Yahoo/Ai/ICQ/Skype's.

P.S. I'd like to mention that I don't regularly post in many "What are you playing/watching/reading/listening to now" threads on a daily basis neither so my post count is reflective upon my real contribution per day. Except that period where I stopped coming to Kametsu out of that random ragequit I had, even then i still rarely use CB. Hell, most of the time I say Hi and then forget I said Hi after tabbing to a different webpage that I have open.

No worries bro. ^_^ Well that stinks koby.. and I understand what you guys mean by it wont help long term members start being more "active".. I have another idea though! for the year and a half that I have been a member of kametsu I have never seen a new section' date=' for example: "Shinra Headquarters", "Media Central", "Content Distro", and "Tantalus Hideout".. Maybe a 5th section would be a nice idea to get people focused on posting rather than using the CB all the time because that section would be more interesting/productive! This is only my idea so if you decide to do this of course you can change it any way you want! My idea would be to add a "Development" section, for game developement subsection(content as in 3d models, tutorials, user help, etc), user created/and or hosted game servers subsection, a Youtube videos subsection of users finished work, General Bussiness plans/ development subsection, and a random development subsection! To sum it up there would be a new main section, "Development" and 5 subsections. Good idea? why or why not? (I sound like an annoying college instructor dont I? xDD)

Edit1: lama thats not a new section xD

bump on this question lol @______@

Eh, I personally found the chatbox boring the one time I was actually talking to anyone on there. From what I've seen, it's mainly the same group of people talking to the same group of people most of the time anyway. I have seen A LOT of "Hello"s being ignored on there.

I don't know what people mean about lack of quality in threads. There are plenty of threads for people to have serious or silly conversations in. If people don't want to contribute and actually have a conversation or get to know other members through threads, what do you expect? I personally have found many threads that I found "reply worthy", but I usually only reply on the few that I actually find interesting. Regardless, almost all of my current posts have been made in the past 2 months so it is definitely possible to contribute more to the actual forum.

Well I'm not too knowledgeable on IRC either.. but I've made one at: irc://irc.rizon.net/Kametsu

Though most of the members of Kametsu have either MSN messenger (now called Windows Live Messenger) or Skype (mostly MSN).

Hey, Koby, you should probably make this a sticky or whatever it is you call those important threads. This way, people can still have the fun of a Chatbox, just in a different way.

Also...what's the best freeware IRC program? At the moment, I'm using mIRC, but its a 30 day trial.

Hey, Koby, you should probably make this a sticky or whatever it is you call those important threads. This way, people can still have the fun of a Chatbox, just in a different way.

Also...what's the best freeware IRC program? At the moment, I'm using mIRC, but its a 30 day trial.

I use Chatzilla. It's a plug-in for FireFox.

Oh Mai Gord!! Nuuuu!!!

But seriously ...

Well that's too bad. 'Tis a shame because I just recently (like a couple weeks ago) started using CB here and there. I have WAY more forum posts than CB posts (not kidding). It's a shame, it is gone and it's a shame that people are not posting on the threads as much as they once did. I understand the problem you face, Koby. Although I'm not too sure I agree with the solution. Either way, as one person posted, it is YOUR site and you have 100% right to do what you wish with it. I will try to post more often and with meaninful replies, and I hope to look forward to you reopening the chat box soon.

I've only been active in the cb. Only joined because I was told. It was a friendly community. If that's changed to where it's only a friendly online community for those who have 500 or more posts, then I probably won't be back.

If this is truly a temporary thing, and the ridiculously high post requirement is removed, then I'll make an effort to be a more active poster.

I've only been active in the cb. Only joined because I was told. It was a friendly community. If that's changed to where it's only a friendly online community for those who have 500 or more posts, then I probably won't be back.

If this is truly a temporary thing, and the ridiculously high post requirement is removed, then I'll make an effort to be a more active poster.

A CB is not a community. Most forums do not have one because it leads to an inactive forum and this kind of mindset of it's members. If this is the way of thinking you have, then honestly I feel it would be in the best interest to simply do away with the CB completely for good. The CB was nothing more than an extension of the community, it was not the community itself. Part of the reason for the temporary removal is to let this fact sink in. If you're only here to lurk in the CB then you're coming here for the wrong reasons and would be better off finding another place to do that. This is first and foremost a 'community forum', not a 'community chatbox'. If the forum is inactive then there would be little point in keeping the whole thing around.

So far the responses of this thread has only lead me to believe stronger that the removal of the CB was and is the right thing to do.