Chatbox Temporarily Removed

Koby

Though I do agree with Koby's banning, and I also agree with the post count rule, I think 500 is a bit much. And the reason being is your gona be seeing a lot of this:

"I agree"

"I cannot participate because ____"

"That's stupid"

etc.

I can almost (misspelled word alert) gauruntee that spamming will inevitably increase. Maybe you should lower to something like 250... I mean, I'm only, like, 40 posts away from 500, so it won't affect me either way, but I just don't feel like seeing mega-spamnations unless it's the edible Spam.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can almost (misspelled word alert) gauruntee that spamming will inevitably increase. Maybe you should lower to something like 250... I mean, I'm only, like, 40 posts away from 500, so it won't affect me either way, but I just don't feel like seeing mega-spamnations unless it's the edible Spam.

Instead of just enforcing CB, should take it one step further to enforce posting requirements for certain sections. Seems to me certain members pour in a lot of content to their posts, such as the members who contribute their stories in the Arts and Literature Section (although most of them have posted over 500). All to often I do see those one line phrases "I agree". I am sure it is difficult to try and "customize" the forum to everyone's personal opinion, but it seems like people could write "at least" 2 complete sentences in their posts, and say something meaningful in the process if their intention is to contribute to overall activity of Kametsu Forums.

I have to agree a post limit on the cb thing can increase the spammy or pointless posts tenfold. I also think it's silly to remove something in order to try to force people to post more. Honestly, if you want people to post more you would need more threads that warrant posting in it. The CB is a fun place to get to know forumers though, can't do that through threads and stuff usually.

The CB is a fun place to get to know forumers though, can't do that through threads and stuff usually.

I agree. I remember the first day I joined Kametsu, I went on the CB to ask someone a question about how to make a thread. Mute Point was the first person on the forum to welcome me, followed by Shazi. They are now two of my closest friends on the forum.

All I'm saying is that the shit starters shouldn't make the actually nice people who do nothing but fangirl over Cumberbatch (Me and Poe FTW) suffer.

I have to agree a post limit on the cb thing can increase the spammy or pointless posts tenfold. I also think it's silly to remove something in order to try to force people to post more. Honestly, if you want people to post more you would need more threads that warrant posting in it. The CB is a fun place to get to know forumers though, can't do that through threads and stuff usually.

24,000+ topics. I seriously doubt more topics is an issue as to why people aren't posting and if it is, they can create the topics themselves.

You got to remember the CB is an extension of the forum, not the other way around.

Also this whole 'spam' point is rather moot considering the only people who would want to use the CB so badly are those same people whining that it's been removed yet are too lazy to do anything about it. The average person will spam for download access, not for CB access and regardless of the reason for the spam they'll be suspended anyhow.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. We're only encouraging. If someone only wants to be in the CB then they're coming here for the wrong reasons and may as well move on down the road. Most forums don't have a CB for a reason. With a CB around people get lazy and neglect the actual part that actually counts, the forum. A CB is the leading cause of most forum downfalls (and that's not even accounting for the drama caused by users using it).

I don't know. I like the CB, but I also enjoy posting. It's why I love this forum, because they have both. I just think that some people, including me sometimes, do take the CB out of hand, but when I'm told to shut up, i usually do. I at least try and listen to those above me, unless of course I feel they are abusing there power, which some do.

Either way, for now, i do agree that most need a break from the CB. I just hope that its not permanent.

That's nice that we have 24,000+ threads, but if your concerned with member activity then it's clear that there is an issue with the thread quality, not quantity. Which is why I find it difficult at times to come in here at post, there's nothing overly, well fun here where you can just mess around with random crap. Everything is either serious, about something specific.

I click on the anime section, or the video game section and there's nothing there that draws my interest. I really get tired of seeing "whos the best," "What's your favourite," "best (Something)" or announcements. I'm not really into posting for the sake of posting, it's pointless to me. Same with the video game section.

General discussion has always been where I've gone in forums cause it's always the most fun and random area, but here it's not overly used and seems like an after thought. Maybe a new layout or design is needed for the increase in activity.

Maybe when you decide what to do with the CB and if its a permanent fixture change the location to a separate section. If it's not the first thing people see, perhaps the rest wont be ignored. Usually the first thing spotted is the first thing that becomes the most active. Since the CB is the first thing there is to see when you log in, it's reasonable to see it as the most active.

I agree with Kro on the thread issue. A lot of the threads that I've seen are serious (which I usually stay out of unless something is obviously wrong and I feel they need to be set straight), threads about favorite/best characters or are only about One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach (which I really don't like), or they're uploads. I'm not saying that any of that is bad, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. And, yes, we could make those threads, but if the rest of the community isn't interested in what the thread is about, then there isn't much point to it anyway. Or, the discussions happen through VMs or PMs (Minecraft, for exmaple. I think I've talked more about Minecraft off the threads than on).

The few discussion threads we have in anime section that are not about bleach, naruto or one piece never actually make it that far though. Ironically it's the generic "who your favorite etc.." that get the most posts and stay alive the longest.

Then why not try making your own thread about something there that you care about. regardless of whether or not others will follow it and reply unless there already is a topic for it?

That's nice that we have 24,000+ threads, but if your concerned with member activity then it's clear that there is an issue with the thread quality, not quantity. Which is why I find it difficult at times to come in here at post, there's nothing overly, well fun here where you can just mess around with random crap. Everything is either serious, about something specific.

I click on the anime section, or the video game section and there's nothing there that draws my interest. I really get tired of seeing "whos the best," "What's your favourite," "best (Something)" or announcements. I'm not really into posting for the sake of posting, it's pointless to me. Same with the video game section.

General discussion has always been where I've gone in forums cause it's always the most fun and random area, but here it's not overly used and seems like an after thought. Maybe a new layout or design is needed for the increase in activity.

Maybe when you decide what to do with the CB and if its a permanent fixture change the location to a separate section. If it's not the first thing people see, perhaps the rest wont be ignored. Usually the first thing spotted is the first thing that becomes the most active. Since the CB is the first thing there is to see when you log in, it's reasonable to see it as the most active.

For general threads and all, sometimes you shouldnt just look at the anime or video game ones. Bambalamb Cafe is basically designed for random general threads.

Then why not try making your own thread about something there that you care about. regardless of whether or not others will follow it and reply unless there already is a topic for it?

I did, start a couple of discussion threads, and like I said, they never got far.

I know a thread about jobs might be wierd on an anime forum but its a prime example of not getting far xD anyway.. I agree with kro about maybe moving the chatbox to a page that isnt on the index.htm-or-php(homepage) because in most of the sites ive visited/ still do things in I always tend to look around if there isnt something interesting(chatbox) that will cause me to not look around(first)

More specifically maybe a link at the bottom of the homepage that goes to a page specifically for chat(nothing else so that it minimizes the load on the server) would be a good idea..

About the "active" comments.. I usually make threads when something is requested since i have comcast blast.. im not the type to upload something unless im overly excited about it(which isnt very often xD) without it being requested(for example I just made a Titan AE thread to fullfill seirachan's request) although instead of saying why I dont post.. I think itd be a good idea to say what I(and anyone else with their own "likes") would enjoy discussing! For myself I love talking about game design, game engines, possible business ideas, places in the world(I know thats kinda vague but it is the world afterall.. not just some tiny-one-town meteor lol) and believe it or not I enjoy learning about most things game design related.. and learning about game engines/how to use them.

I know none of this is related to anime(except games maybe..) but as kro stated already,

"General discussion has always been where I've gone in forums cause it's always the most fun and random area, but here it's not overly used and seems like an after thought."

and you also get an idea of what topics I prefer to talk about more specifically(I think instead of us all saying we need a chatbox even though I like the cb also.. we should instead say what we prefer talking about then talk about it. That would increase the forum "activity" and also show people that there are others with common interests!)

I don't post in those sorts of topics either, but there is a ton of topics that aren't like that in which I do post in. Just because you don't notice them doesn't mean they aren't there. I have no problem finding threads that warrant a nice reply from myself without going into those topics you mention.

I did, start a couple of discussion threads, and like I said, they never got far.

Because no one worth noting tends to post anymore and thus all those easy to spam threads bump the decent discussion threads to another page when the n00bs post in them. If more people bothered to respond to such topics then it wouldn't be a problem. The thing is, people complain about stuff like this, but what they don't realize is it's their own fault as to why it's ended up in such a state to begin with.

A good chunk of whats discussed in the CB could easily be discussed in the Balamb Cafe, but since we have a CB... well the Balamb Cafe is seldom used.

If a topic you want to discuss doesn't exist, make it, don't complain that it wasn't made for you.

So koby.. what do you think about the idea of changing the page the chatbox is on to something other than the homepage?(another idea could be to "secretly" restrict access to the chatbox unless you have 40 posts so new people wont even know there is a chatbox until they've been "active" community members!)

So koby.. what do you think about the idea of changing the page the chatbox is on to something other than the homepage?(another idea could be to "secretly" restrict access to the chatbox unless you have 40 posts so new people wont even know there is a chatbox until they've been "active" community members!)

That's not the point of why he is doing this. He is trying to get all users, both old and new posting more. What he is trying to do is essentially revive the forum from it's current dying state. The best way to do that is honestly one of maybe three drastic routes that I doubt anyone would like...