What were ur childhood animes?

cvillasana73

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Earliest I can think of were DB, DBZ, Sailor Moon (though watched too little), Digimon Aventure, Digimon Tamers, Pokémon, Card Captors Sakura (little special child me found it boring for some reason or did not understood it so I watched little of it on CN)... there was this Cybercat Kurochan that aired on a local channel before coming to the states. I do remember my dad watching Evangelion one or two nights when I couldn't sleep as a child, does that count? 😛 

Funny story about Digimon.. that was like that first thing I watched on former channel Fox Kids while channel surfing. I think either my parent's provider added new channels, or my parents got a cable upgrade. I could never get into Saint Seiya as a kid sadly (kinda wish CR didn't geo-blocked the series in the US but licensings and such). 

I didn't pick up on anime again 'till 2007 or so, with the internet and such. ...and the change of watching taste.

Anime during my childhood mostly consisted of what aired on TV.

This included:

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Outlaw Star
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Speed Racer
  • Gundam Wing
  • Yuyu Hakusho
  • Digimon
  • Pokemon
  • Beyblade
  • Zoids
  • Hamtaro
  • Rurouni Kenshin

and probably many others I'm not remembering at the moment.

• Like 1

For me it was Speed Racer, G-Force (aka the Americanizaed Science Ninja Team Gatchaman), Star Blazers (the first Space Battleship Yamato series and what started me into finding anime in the first place in the late 70s), and of course Astroboy.  Not that I had a lot of options in my youth...lol.

Seriously, it was Star Blazers that drove me to find the origins of the series, and led me into the world of anime by the end of the 70s, a journey I have never regretted, indeed been ever grateful for.

Pokemon and Digimon were the first animes i've watched. 

As far as my mind goes it was Pokemon first then Digimon, Yu-gi-oh, Beyblades, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Shaman King, Duel masters, Sailor moon, Kenshin, Full Metal alchemist. A few episodes of Gundam and Neon Genesis. Watched some Naruto later but I was in my teens already... and then started watching other animes on web.   

1. Pokemon - Until Hoen at max, i did check how hoen ended on interenet but never watched any episodes anymore, just only movies and played games. Heon still feels as if it is a new region for me , even though i've seen all the newest ones.. .:D 

2. Digimon - all seasons at least frontier was the last one for me

3. FMA - non brotherhood version

4. Yu-gi-oh - first season only, dropped it when GX came out

5. Watched all Dragon Ball franchise , except movies... have not watched all of them yet until now

Well these aren't animes but Samurai Jack, Jhony Bravo, Ninja Turtles, Spiderman, Spongebob, beavis and butthead do were very popular... :D , ed edd eddy, courage the cowardly dog, simpsons... street sharks, transformers, pinky and the brain, angry beavers, tom and jerry.. the land before time.... 

Edited by dorall

5 hours ago, Bluenoser said:

For me it was Speed Racer, G-Force (aka the Americanizaed Science Ninja Team Gatchaman), Star Blazers (the first Space Battleship Yamato series and what started me into finding anime in the first place in the late 70s), and of course Astroboy.  Not that I had a lot of options in my youth...lol.

Seriously, it was Star Blazers that drove me to find the origins of the series, and led me into the world of anime by the end of the 70s, a journey I have never regretted, indeed been ever grateful for.

Did you watch any VHS fansubs passed around back in the day? I wasn't around for that... by the time I got into anime pretty big, it was being distributed online via 30MB rm and rmvb re-encodes of divx.avi hardsubs in the early 2000s.

It was mid 1990s when I started watching anime on TV though, but it was much later until I realized Speed Racer was an anime, or even that anime was somehow different than regular American toons, lol.

18 hours ago, Koby said:

Did you watch any VHS fansubs passed around back in the day? I wasn't around for that... by the time I got into anime pretty big, it was being distributed online via 30MB rm and rmvb re-encodes of divx.avi hardsubs in the early 2000s.

It was mid 1990s when I started watching anime on TV though, but it was much later until I realized Speed Racer was an anime, or even that anime was somehow different than regular American toons, lol.

Yup...got started in the mid 80s at local SF cons, well at that time con, we only had one at that point in the region, you would not believe the levels of distortion from copies of copies of copies we were willing to put up with as it was the only way to get nearly any anime around here back in those days.  I remember when the rm and rmvb encodes showed up, it seemed like such progress from then...lol.  Yes, I know, I'm old...lol.

• Like 1

It's been a long time , I'm shure I will forget to mention some of them . The first anime I saw was Magic Boy ( Shonen Sarutobi Sasuke ) , then I saw :

- Fist of the north Star ( VHS tape )

- Hello! Sandybell ( TV )

- Candy Candy ( TV )

- Akira ( VHS tape )

- The Rose of Versailles ( TV )

- Superbook ( TV )

- Lupin ( TV )

- GoShogun / Macron 1 ( TV )

- Attacker You! ( TV )

- Demon City Shinjuku ( VHS )

- Little Princess Sarah ( TV )

- Captain Tsubasa ( TV )

- My Daddy Long Legs ( TV )

- Dragon Ball ( TV )

- Sailor Moon ( TV )

... blank , I can't remember  . The others where after 94-95 , many of them where older series reruns or things lke Dragon Ball Z , Ghost in the Shell or Kaiketsu Zoro ( The Legend of Zorro ) and stuff like that .

Edited by Grundy
Just remebered three more : Cat's Eye , Heidi - Girl of the Alps and Little Lord Fauntleroy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...