Anime You've Recently Completed?

Kid Ryan

Paranoia Agent

Ah, another work by Satoshi Kon (whose movies, Perfect Blue and Paprika, I really liked) and he also has directed this series fairly well, and you can see his own way of doing it in it as well. The way he directs is quite phenomenal; take this series for example, it started out as a typical detective-style anime but then the plot twists turns. For those used to Satoshi Kon's work, none of this is news. It's his trademark, anyway. Well, coming back to the review, I didn't quite like the series up till... like, episode 6... I thought of dropping it but I didn't, I kept on going and finished it with a bang. Well, Paranoia Agent is about a series of attacks by an unknown hit-and-run assailant that wears golden roller skates, a baseball cap and wields a badly bent golden baseball bat. These random attacks seemed to be unrelated at first but as the detectives look further into it, they found out that the attacks were not as random as they ought to be.

At first, it seems like the Shounen bat hit people randomly but as the series pass by, the mystery gets more and more twisted till the end comes knocking... and I must say, the end explains a lot of it. Still, some episodes – which seemed like fillers – weren't much needed and were not explained in the end as to why they were included within the series. But meh, I could care less! They were fun to watch. One thing that would definitely lower this series' score would be it's art; it was really bad and sorta creepy, in my opinion.

Despite being disturbing as hell, Paranoia Agent also has it's share of fun moments, however, even if it tries to be funny, the aura of creepiness is still abundant. Paranoia Agent is disturbing at its core. With that said, whenever it tries to be funny, it's still disturbing; whenever it tries to be dramatic, it is still disturbing; and whenever it tries to be disturbing, it does so, in great proportions. Simply put, Paranoia Agent is the absolute description of disturbance. Still, it was fun to watch. A 7/10 from my side.

I finished Hunter x Hunter last year but I had been holding off on the OVA series as I didn't want to complete it and always had hope they would continue to the series. Now that a remake is being aired in Japan I figured I best get them out of the way before watching the new series and such. So in the last couple days I've finished the first two OVA series which were 8 episodes each. They may be OVA's but really they are just the continuation to the series which is still left without an actual ending. The first OVA ends the Spiders arc which was left open at the end of the TV series. The 2nd OVA starts the Greed Island arc, but doesn't finish it. I'm going to be starting the 3rd OVA now which is the last one. It's 14 episodes long. Hopefully it actually ends the Greed Island arc as I'd hate to have to wait years to see the conclusion to the arc in the remake. Anyhow, I'd rate the two OVA's I've seen the same as the TV series as I consider it one whole. I gave them an 8/10. The series certainly has potential to be better but I feel like we haven't gotten to the best part of the series yet.

Arakawa Under the Bridge

God, what a weird series. I have to agree I only watched it because it was made by Shaft, but damn, I'm disappointed now. It's not like it was that bad, but it wasn't much fun. It didn't had much of a plot to begin with. The series was basically for humor, in my opinion. It was sometimes funny, sometimes stupid, and often both. The art was good, by the way. You could actually see the Bakemonogatari(sh) style in it. The music was fun, too. I actually liked the opening theme, it was rather refreshing. All those vibrant colors in the OP animation made it reach even a greater height. Enjoyment? Well, here's the problem. Everything in this show was sacrificed for the sake of random humor. Now personally, I wasn't too amused. I mean, sure, when it's completely left-field, randomness is funny, but in this case it became a constant barrage of randomness and ceased to be terribly funny. It was still often funny despite this, but just as often it was stupid. My brain definitely turned off as I watched this.

I've seen many people have recommended this to the Bakemonogatari fans, probably because of the similar artwork and Shaft. But I disagree on the fact that some people call it better than Bakemonogatari. Bakemonogatari was a much smarter, character driven, and well... creative anime. Many fans will be disappointed. That being said―If you like random humor, then you will love this show; if you only like intelligent anime, then this show isn't for you. My rating: 6.

I'm currently watching season 2, by the way, and it seems comparatively better.

The last anime that I have completed is the Armored Trooper Votoms series and OVAs. God I have no idea why I haven't seen them until now. They have good characters, and a good story, and its also very gritty and dark. I highly recommend you see that series! I also saw a spin-off called Armor Hunter Mellowlink. Mellowlink doesn't require that you watch the other series. You can just go into it completely blind and enjoy it.

Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge

Jesus. One thing I'd definitely wanna point out is that people who like plot-driven animes, don't ever watch this. Seriously. It's full of mindless laughs, with no actual story to back it up. Eh, anyways, I was looking forward to this series and I really thought it'd turn out better than the first season. It did show potential in the start and then... it turned into nothing. The review would mostly comprise of what I already said in the first season's review, so I won't bother writing all the shit over again. All in all, the thing could've turned better but it didn't. My score: 6.5!