Anime You've Recently Completed?

Kid Ryan

Redline(movie) About an extreme race in the year 30XXXXXX. The plot was decent and easy enough to fallow. The art was despite being wacky and stretched at times, akin to dead leaves was highly detailed and vary colorful.

Art 8

plot 7

style 8

Voice(sub) 7

over all I decided to give this one an 8 because it was a pleasure to watch.

Hekugei- Legend of Moby dick.(Series) I have to admit this one surprised me. This classic is about an adaption of no other but the famous book Moby dick as the title implies. Set in the far future were whale hunters are actually deep space scavengers the crew of the lady wisker is employed to save an entire planet from the great white "ship" the Moby dick.

Art 6 Detailed but at times the colors get in the way

Plot 6

style 8

voice(sub)7

Over all a 7 on my scale. Its not an average anime and well worth it to see. Hell who can really claim they've seen Moby dick the anime. The plot was unique despite it being a retelling of another story and the characters were for the most part unique. After that there some old cliche's that got in the way.

The Tatami Galaxy

SHIT, What the hell did I just completed? Man it was so boring, at least until the end came. While I agree that the plot was somewhat twisted and intriguing, the anime didn't justify it pretty well in my opinion. I could not grasp what was going on (other than Watashi living his College campus life again and again and again...), but by the end, the reality finally came. Anyways, one thing that'd definitely get watcher's attention would definitely be this series' animation; some people hate it, some people like it. I, for one, liked the cartoonish feeling that I got from this series due to it's cartoon-like animation. The characters weren't the main attraction, might I add; the main character's name wasn't even told. It was "you" or "watashi". At any rate, I felt extremely bored while watching this shit up till some point... but after that, it turned out mediocre. I'd give this series a 6.

The Tatami Galaxy

SHIT, What the hell did I just completed? Man it was so boring, at least until the end came. While I agree that the plot was somewhat twisted and intriguing, the anime didn't justify it pretty well in my opinion. I could not grasp what was going on (other than Watashi living his College campus life again and again and again...), but by the end, the reality finally came. Anyways, one thing that'd definitely get watcher's attention would definitely be this series' animation; some people hate it, some people like it. I, for one, liked the cartoonish feeling that I got from this series due to it's cartoon-like animation. The characters weren't the main attraction, might I add; the main character's name wasn't even told. It was "you" or "watashi". At any rate, I felt extremely bored while watching this shit up till some point... but after that, it turned out mediocre. I'd give this series a 6.

Since this is actually one of my top 5 favorite series, I feel the urge to say stuff.

It was most likely boring for a lot of people due to the rapid fire dialogue and pre-requisite of needing to know some of the extraneous details of what some of the clubs entailed to appreciate some of the comedy/message. The protagonist was nameless, he had No Name. xD (silly puns). 私 "Watashi" is how someone refers to oneself, politely, in Japanese, mal is ghey, so whoever wrote up the info probably didn't know.

It wasn't that he was living "in campus again and again," it was that the story retconned for each one of the activities he would hypothetically participate in.

Yes, the characters weren't the main attraction, which is one of the beauties of this story. It's a story that focuses on the story and the message of each "attempt" overlapping the overall themes (insignificant decisions = truly significant results & yet not all change is bad)/conflict that is presented. I personally think stories that focus too much on ethos and forget mythos are shit. This didn't do that. His viewpoint (narration) mattered, he (characterization) didn't.

Each of the unsuccessful attempts of the main character at trying to integrate into the club and the find the ideal college social life, ended up with truly absurd conclusion delivering a nonsensical yet somewhat relatable theme.

The ending pretty much solved the conflict, the absurdity of his idealogues climaxing to the realization of reality, leading it (the story itself) to go full circle and changing viewpoints.

The art is that director's niche. It's abstract look was perfect for the series, a more "realistic" style would have lead the audience to take the work too seriously where they should not, thus being unable to actually pinpoint what the author was trying to convey.

I'm not trying to get you to change your grade. It's a very hard series to appreciate, most of the 10s on MAL and the reviews attached are full of completely incorrect half assed assessments of the show (It's not a "TIME LOOP" it's a full blown RETCON arggggh). At least you realized that, yes, in this story, the characters themselves don't matter one bit, instead the significance of their (and for the most part "him") experiences are the foundation of the story.

I actually want to encode this series when I get a better computer since I have the BDMVs.

Maybe this cleared some of it up though. Again, if you don't change your opinion of it, that's fine. :>

It was most likely boring for a lot of people due to the rapid fire dialogue and pre-requisite of needing to know some of the extraneous details of what some of the clubs entailed to appreciate some of the comedy/message.
You see, I actually liked that fast dialogues-part of Watashi, because well, that reminded me a lot of Bakemonogatari – the series I really loved. Not just because for being a reminder, it was more like Watashi's untouchable and significant property, which I liked.

It wasn't that he was living "in campus again and again," it was that the story retconned for each one of the activities he would hypothetically participate in.
Amen.

The ending pretty much solved the conflict, the absurdity of his idealogues climaxing to the realization of reality, leading it (the story itself) to go full circle and changing viewpoints.
Yeah, the ending was probably the best part of the series, for me. All the necessary and unanswered questions were answered in just one-go, and I finally get to know why the series is named "Tatami Galaxy". I actually increased my score due to the ending.

The art is that director's niche. It's abstract look was perfect for the series, a more "realistic" style would have lead the audience to take the work too seriously where they should not, thus being unable to actually pinpoint what the author was trying to convey.
Exactly. The artwork reminded me a lot about this movie called "Mind game". It was a decent movie and if I remember correctly, was by the same director. The movie, also, had those strangely-colored visuals. I guess the animators chose vibrant colors to specifically justify the Tatami world, the Tatami galaxy.

You see it was not the series as a whole that bored the hell outta me, it was the desperate need to know what the hell's going on in the preliminary episodes; why the hell's time looping? why the hell's every episode sorta related to each other? I know the series could've been a serious downhill if the director didn't do what he did with it, but as an easy-going person, I tend to like easily understandable stories. I hope you understand.

AnoHana

I always thought how hard it could be on people who've lost their dear friends, who were really near to them. Going through this, I got how strong the bond can actually be. The story revolves around a shut-in, yet cool, boy named Jinta (Jin-tan) and his, long-dead, dear friend named Meiko (Menma). One summer afternoon, the girl unexpectedly appears in front of him. He addresses her as his "summer stress" and mostly ignores her in the first episode. Even during all that ignoring, he still cherishes the moment and in the late episodes, tries his best to make her wish come true – which she doesn't exactly remember. On the surface, AnoHana looks like a fairly straightforward tale of teenagers learning to deal with a past trauma and maturing in the process. One surprising aspect is the manner in which flashbacks are used to punctuate specific occurrences or emotions, whilst adding historical context to the relationship between Jin-tan, Menma, and the rest of the gang. The plot is very well constructed. Because AnoHana is a character driven piece; there is a heavy emphasis placed on the dialogue, the majority of the script is actually pretty intuitive. AnoHana is a surprisingly simple, yet slightly over sentimental, look at the coping mechanisms of children and adolescents when coming to terms with a past trauma. The series has a great name "We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day" (AnoHana is the abbreviated one) which is actually outstandingly justified by the end.

I must agree I did shed a tear by the end, but that was the happy one. All in All, AnoHana is one of those better ones which are exceptionally nicely directed. Yet, it's still not awesome, but I'd definitely give it a 9 for it's purity and all the enjoyment that I faced.

Highschool Of The Dead + OVA

Man, I can't believe how better this series could've been if it hadn't been for mindless panty-shots and that uncalled-for ending. Well, I actually didn't expect much from this series from the start because I knew it was full of fanservice and didn't practically had a plot to begin with. The story started out lame, but it soon gained speed as the episodes passed by. Several question were asked in between; "What would you do if such a situation occurred in your world?", "Would you think of killing zombies who were humans once if there's no practical choice?", and sort. The series, being a 12 episode series, flew with a decent flow. In my opinion, the biggest downhill for this series has to be it's fanservice elements; the show-makers didn't put much thought and added panty-shots, tit-slips, even at the places they weren't ever needed! Sure I know that it is also of ecchi genre, but those cheap shots weren't needed, at least. Bath scenes, nose bleeding moments, etc. were fine but still... a lot of the scenes weren't necessary. Second downhill would be it's cliff-hanger type of ending. I do know that the manga is on-going and the show-makers didn't had much choice but at least they could've put more effort and sense into the ending. Dammit, so many questions are left unanswered now, like

"What happened to their parents?" being the biggest one.

The soundtrack was exceptionally good and I would definitely get this part a high score because it really mixed well. I really liked the opening theme. The animation was quite good; background scenes were nicely made and the characters were also nicely designed at places. The opening theme had great animation. I have to say, while the anime didn't have much story to beging with, it had decent amount of interesting characters. All in all, it was character-driven series and I quite liked Saeko's and Takashi's characters.

Ah, you wanna know about the OVA? Well, since the OVA is named as the series' sequel, I just gave it a shot thinking it'd maybe tone up the ending a bit. But what did I got? More fanservice! Damn. Still, the fanservice the OVA had was better than those cheap panty-shots. At any rate, the OVA didn't have a little bit of story in it and was basically made for masturbating, for the ones who do it seeing animated boobs. It was said at the end of OVA that it is to be continued, so I'm expecting a second season. I just hope it has less amount of the downhill elements.

Gave the anime series a 7 and the OVA a 5.