How much is too much?

Koby

I don use consoles since Sega Mega Drive, so i just spend a lot of money once, and then enjoy gaming a year or two. Now when my PC has oldend beyond any measures, i play on emulators and just surf the net. But i still read a gaming magazine from times to times, so i'm up to date in gaming world.

By the way, there are no licensed games here, so i dont spend money on them, just get a copy somehow.

• 4 weeks later...

Good question, it really depends on what I get for it. In case of a ps3 I thought that I got more than enough for the money.

Back when I went to school something like a ps3/xbox/whatever was impossible to get for me. But now that I'm working I don't really care how much a console costs. If it's cool I get it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
...I don't really care how much a console costs. If it's cool I get it. :)

I'm the same way, I own a gaming comp, a 360 and a Wii. I really enjoy gaming, it is and always has been a big part of my life and I wouldn't put a price cap on how much I would spend on a console.

I owned an original Xbox so the 360 was the obligatory system for me. And the PC always has great exclusive games and I spend lots of time on my comp anyway so I just decided to invest in a good one. The Wii has the obvious nostalgia value, plus it's really unique and has a vast line up of excellent games. The PS3 just wasn't for me, and I don't really think I'm missing out on anything. From what I can tell the only thing it has to offer me is a bluray player, and I don't own, or plan to own any bluray discs so that point is null. It looks like it has some good games, but not enough to justify the price tag imo.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm getting to the point where this question is split pretty much down the middle between Nintendo and everything else. I don't want to pay more than $200 for an Xbox or a PlayStation ever again, but I'll happily pay up to $500 for a Nintendo console. The simple truth is that I love Nintendo's games--all of them, and any investment in that direction is going to make me happier than either of the other guys. Sure, there are Xbox and PlayStation games that I'd like to play, but I'm comfortable satiating myself with Nintendo's offerings until prices come down. For most games I play PC these days at any rate, so PlayStation and Xbox... well, this generation there's fewer than ten games exclusive to each of those consoles that I'm interested in. I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way. Sony and Microsoft are going to have to seriously innovate their next hardware cycle or put some real work into developing a solid stable of exclusive IPs if they want to keep playing in the console marketspace. Microsoft seems to know the writing's on the wall, as they keep pushing connectivity between the PC and the Xbox platforms. Sony... I mean, yeah, the PS4 has sold tremendously well, they're looking healthy, but I really don't think the PS5 is going to see the same sort of success. The market has shifted quite a lot over the past few years.