When did you finally realize that Animes are different from Cartoons?

Diablo

When I saw an ad banner on a web page that said "learn how to draw anime" and I thought it was a mistake by an English-as-a-second-language individual who wrote the ad who didn't now how to spell "animation". Later I heard someone talking about anime, and realized at that point it was a legit thing, and when I asked them about it they told me it was Japanese animation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I was six.

They were playing Madou King Granzort on Japanese with Serbian subtitles, as well as English-dubbed Gal Force.

But I've only learned of the term when I was around ten or eleven, and when I was actually officially introduced to the AniManga world via Hellsing, X, Genma Taisen (Harmagedon), and Boogiepop Phantom, all of which aired on Canal+ in Japanese, and all of which remain my all-time favorites.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In the 90's in France (1989-1997+-), when i have 8/9 yo, with Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Captain Tsubasa, City Hunter and Hokuto no Ken. Theses series was really popular and brocast(ed?)/showed in 2PM in the first channel of France (like BBC in UK).

Just, for English people who don't know what is Ken, is that :

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MppC6uYODYo

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQD2w4HU3jw

Beside that, we had in the 90's American & French cartoons : Ducktales, Tintin, Mickey, Spirou, Heidi, He-Man, TMNT, X-Men, etc... and the difference is huge...

And the manga (the book) too, is really different of the European comics (like Tintin, Astérix, etc...) or the old American comics with some cheesy stories/lines/drawn, it's really evolued (and the book is really big beside US/EU Comics).

Edited by nohammad

• 3 weeks later...

For me i was 10 when I woke at 4 am one day and saw dark stalkers and dragon ball on TV. and i was like " these are not cartoons what is this, it would be about an other year before i found out they were anime , back in 1994  computer and the internet were not so readily available.

Pokemon and DBZ were really popular when I was in 1st grade and I remember hearing that Pokemon was from Japan. I LOVED Pokemon as a kid in all forms, though I didn't care for DBZ as a kid (I like it now). I always knew those shows were different, but didn't hear the term "Anime" until around 4th-5th grade when my older friend next door talked about it.