Anyone play Magic: the Gathering?

JCBeezy

Just wanted to check of course. :P I know how big YGO is with everyone and all, but I graduated from YGO to Magic when the Upper Deck/Konami mess happened a few years back, and really haven't looked back since. I haven't regretted it either!

If you do play, what formats do you enjoy? Standard? Legacy? The new Modern? Or casual formats like EDH? Cube-drafting?

I've only got one friend who has ever played it and he quit and gave me all his cards but never really explained the game. So without someone to play with I just never even bothered to learn the game, collect the cards, or anything. I ended up throwing away the cards he gave me later since I had absolutely no use for them and no one who wanted them. Now I just couldn't bother to care to try it out. Too much to do and too little time to learn something new and as for TCG's YGO takes care of that urge for me with DuelingNetwork to play against everyone online without having to spend money on cards.

I've only got one friend who has ever played it and he quit and gave me all his cards but never really explained the game. So without someone to play with I just never even bothered to learn the game, collect the cards, or anything. I ended up throwing away the cards he gave me later since I had absolutely no use for them and no one who wanted them. Now I just couldn't bother to care to try it out. Too much to do and too little time to learn something new and as for TCG's YGO takes care of that urge for me with DuelingNetwork to play against everyone online without having to spend money on cards.

Totally understandable. Magic, at one point, was actually financially more accessible than something like YGO, which required 150 dollar SCR's (Pot of Duality anyone?), but has since caught up to YGO in terms of investment to play. Magic currently has cards, outside of the 1000 dollar "Power Nine" pieces, that push 100 dollars and up, and it's just so unhealthy.

With the community getting onboard of the DuelingNetwork, I'm half tempted to relearn YGO and try it out, just to see if I can break formats. :P

I occasionally play MTG although the only format I'll play anymore is EDH. Regular MTG is just too boring to me anymore in comparison to EDH, once I found out about the format I never looked back. I got two decks right now a Teneb The Harvester and Experiment Kraj (which I want to be Spymaster of Trest) deck. Used to have a group to play with around here but that seemed to disappear once a few of them got addicted to League of Legends >___>. Occasionally I'm on MTGO however I don't have either of those decks on there.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this thread seems empty compared to the YGO ones XD. I switched over after playing mtg with some classmates. I've started to get into EDH and standard constructed, however my budget tends to lead me to red decks or decks missing format staples. I mess around on Lackey ccg from time to time if anyone is on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I do like it, but im a casual player, just at school and on free tournament nights :P I run a white black artifact deck and it gets kinda rude. usually by the third turn my field will be filled with 10 myrs with 1-0 mana costs all with flying added on :P my opponent usually gives in or there dead in the next few turns XD gotta love the artifact creatures with demons and gryphons to back em up :P

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

also own a red-blue-green token factory deck, I just mix n match cards that seem to go together in that deck (4 charmsbreaker devils with 4 cackling counterparts cloning a ludavek's abomination x 4 each turn) :P

I do like it, but im a casual player, just at school and on free tournament nights :P I run a white black artifact deck and it gets kinda rude. usually by the third turn my field will be filled with 10 myrs with 1-0 mana costs all with flying added on :P my opponent usually gives in or there dead in the next few turns XD gotta love the artifact creatures with demons and gryphons to back em up :P

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

also own a red-blue-green token factory deck, I just mix n match cards that seem to go together in that deck (4 charmsbreaker devils with 4 cackling counterparts cloning a ludavek's abomination x 4 each turn) :P

Sadly your deck are completely open to burns or a good elf deck. You would need to run some enchantments like tempered steel or else your myrs are sitting ducks. Plus anyone with a good weenie saproling deck could kill you off just as fast.

• 1 year later...

As far as not being good enough for tournament play, I find that players who participate in FNM increase their skills at both playing the game and deck building much faster than those who do not. You may lose each week, but those loses allow you to see the strategies that more seasoned players have come up with and how they function in tournament play. It could also spark a creative urge to build a deck around one or more cards that you saw being played against you or others. Sadly the only decent FNM around where I live is about a half hour drive and two cities away from where I live. But I do make the drive for prerelease and sometimes release events because they are the most social gatherings outside of professional tournaments for players. They are also the best way to increase your collection outside of buying booster boxes. Just make sure to try and trade for cards you really want at prereleases because usually the cost for them will never be lower than at that point. One example of this was a couple of years ago I traded a $40 card for 13 cards other people didn't even want. Later on those cards ended up with a combined value of over $300. Sometimes it takes people a while to realize how good a particular card is. One example of that is Pack Rate from Return to Ravnica. Right now it can be purchased online for $0.79 each, but once more people start realizing that it is nearly as broken as Jace, the Mind Sculptor it will likely skyrocket in price. To at least 10 or 20 dollars a piece. I would recommend to anyone reading this to buy at least four of them before that happens.

I have been playing the game off and on since the first set and I still find things to learn every time I participate in FNM.

I used to play mtg a lot in the past, nowadays i am taking a break. It is one of the best games ever, always different, i recommend it to everyone, it is a little bit complicated at the beginning but you will soon get the hang of it, that is why it is awesome, there are so many possibilities. And it is also the fact that it is collectable!!! I keep all my cards since i started to play, and i will play in the near future for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I play although i find it hard to keep buying sets to keep up with the torniment standards, i use to play at my local card shop but i just moved to fl back in november so ive yet to look at the local card shop here.

I dont know how good i am seeing as being a girl most the guys didnt take me seriously, atleast not the ones who play magic. Not that i blame them once they looked at my decks, i have a tendency of making decks out of cards i find work together but no one else thinks would work lol, actually made it funny as hell when i won aginst them and they realize the marret of my combos.

Edited by SammiePumpkin

I recently picked up playing MTG lately; I have a decent White/Green Elf/Wurm Deck. The elves ramp up my mana to cast my wurms; which ultimately spams out mass 5/5 Trample Wurms; who can then be populated. Which I'm talking about Armada Wurm, I cloudshift him if I can, or I equip a Whispersilk Cloak onto Worldspine and say GG. My only defense against flying is to either Fog/Eat with Silklash Spider, or nuke it out of the sky by making one of my wurms flying with Nimbus Wings. I also have a standard Dimir Deck that Mills for land; and mills hard. Not to mention Cloned Consuming Abberations are the worst combined with a mean Mind Grind.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently got into it and thankfully I have a few friends who are also into it so I can vs them. In fact i got one of my room mates into it so I tend to vs him every second day and if i don't vs him i normally catch up with my other friends every week to play out a few games.