Japanese vs. American Animation

Koby

• 3 years later...

Looks like an older thread but id have to disagree with most. If you think American cartoons are for youngers kids; then watch some adult cartoons, adult networks like Fox's animation domination, and the adult swim network. I can tell you those cartoons are hilarious and Mature as well. I do like some anime like attack on titan and space dandy and cowboy bebop, but most of those are shown on adult swim network anyways. And those younger kids cartoons are just classics from the 80s and 90s that are awesome.

US Animation fucking sucks. The golden age is the best of the best even better than Japanese animation imo but the shit's been trash since the TV era started. Too many cost cutting measures, too much limited animation, too much lazy animation and the animators just aren't as good. Lower budget/run time ratios compared to theatrical cartoons too and wayyyyy too much outsourcing. There isn't much good western animation on TV animation wise and when there is it's almost always Canadian (for example Ren & Stimpy, Cow and Chicken, Ed Edd n Eddy, Pig Goat Banana Cricket, etc.). Spongebob's pretty good at times, especially this newest season. DC animated's decent, it's way better than most American animation I'll give it that but they re-use way too many animation cycles/have too many character designs that are nearly identical, jus mixing and matching 10 different heads on the same 3 bodies and shit like that. Avatar's is phenomenal. Don't even get me started on how bad American animation was from the mid 60s to the late 80s. Thank god for stuff like Mighty Mouse New Adventures and Ren & Stimpy and Tiny Toons. Japanese animation on the other hand is fantastic, especially a lot of the new stuff. Madhouse and BONES always blow me away.

3 hours ago, DabDeity710 said:

US Animation fucking sucks. The golden age is the best of the best even better than Japanese animation imo but the shit's been trash since the TV era started. Too many cost cutting measures, too much limited animation, too much lazy animation and the animators just aren't as good. Lower budget/run time ratios compared to theatrical cartoons too and wayyyyy too much outsourcing. There isn't much good western animation on TV animation wise and when there is it's almost always Canadian (for example Ren & Stimpy, Cow and Chicken, Ed Edd n Eddy, Pig Goat Banana Cricket, etc.). Spongebob's pretty good at times, especially this newest season. DC animated's decent, it's way better than most American animation I'll give it that but they re-use way too many animation cycles/have too many character designs that are nearly identical, jus mixing and matching 10 different heads on the same 3 bodies and shit like that. Avatar's is phenomenal. Don't even get me started on how bad American animation was from the mid 60s to the late 80s. Thank god for stuff like Mighty Mouse New Adventures and Ren & Stimpy and Tiny Toons. Japanese animation on the other hand is fantastic, especially a lot of the new stuff. Madhouse and BONES always blow me away.

Spongebob really? you must be from the new age u must have not grown upp with the classics then,.... I can tell u my 13 year old brother loves spongebob but he was born 2004, 15 years after me. I guess it all depends on your era. I can tell you it doesn "fucking suck" aha

17 minutes ago, TunaTunie said:

Spongebob really? you must be from the new age u must have not grown upp with the classics then,.... I can tell u my 13 year old brother loves spongebob but he was born 2004, 15 years after me. I guess it all depends on your era. I can tell you it doesn "fucking suck" aha

Watch some 40s stuff and tell me the animation doesn't shit all over today's. When you go forward in time and have all the technological and artistic advancements we've had animation should get better, but it's progressively gotten worse in American cartooning (although there was a boom in quality from 1987 to like 1991, from there it's went back to going downhill). Executives want cheap animation over good animation cuz it's much more profitable and they know their audience doesn't consist of animation connoisseurs who'd take major offense to that and these uncreative executives who only care about money run everything. I was born in 97 but I assure you all the 90s animation the internet's so hype about really isn't too well animated except for a few. I'm not saying American animation doesn't have good shows but the cartooning and the animation itself is almost always trash. Even the ones that are well animated have a bunch of shitty animation in them due to too much outsourcing. The cartoons from the 30s-50s with no outsourcing have virtually no animation errors, but just because a show doesn't have animation errors doesn't mean the animation's good. A lot of stuff with no errors has really boring and dull animation that doesn't use line of action properly or at all (like most of today's stuff). I'm talking about strictly the animation itself. For example Spongebob s1-3 is obviously the best the show as a whole ever was but the animation in s10 is wayyy better than it's ever been.

I'm not trying to be rude or offensive or any of that shit but imo the animation in American cartoons sucks and has for a very long time and I feel very strongly about that.

Edited by DabDeity710

The animation nowadays really sucks in my opinion, anything from 2000 and up, the only cartoons i like after that are the adult cartoons from adult swim and foxs animation dimination.

4 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

Watch some 40s stuff and tell me the animation doesn't shit all over today's. When you go forward in time and have all the technological and artistic advancements we've had animation should get better, but it's progressively gotten worse in American cartooning (although there was a boom in quality from 1987 to like 1991, from there it's went back to going downhill). Executives want cheap animation over good animation cuz it's much more profitable and they know their audience doesn't consist of animation connoisseurs who'd take major offense to that and these uncreative executives who only care about money run everything. I was born in 97 but I assure you all the 90s animation the internet's so hype about really isn't too well animated except for a few. I'm not saying American animation doesn't have good shows but the cartooning and the animation itself is almost always trash. Even the ones that are well animated have a bunch of shitty animation in them due to too much outsourcing. The cartoons from the 30s-50s with no outsourcing have virtually no animation errors, but just because a show doesn't have animation errors doesn't mean the animation's good. A lot of stuff with no errors has really boring and dull animation that doesn't use line of action properly or at all (like most of today's stuff). I'm talking about strictly the animation itself. For example Spongebob s1-3 is obviously the best the show as a whole ever was but the animation in s10 is wayyy better than it's ever been.

I'm not trying to be rude or offensive or any of that shit but imo the animation in American cartoons sucks and has for a very long time and I feel very strongly about that.

Just now, TunaTunie said:

The animation nowadays really sucks in my opinion, anything from 2000 and up, the only cartoons i like after that are the adult cartoons from adult swim and foxs animation dimination.

Nowadays it's especially bad. There's still well animated stuff but it's so rare (Pig Goat Banana Cricket and the Mickey Mouse reboot to name a few). Ren & Stimpy APC was fucking phenomenal animation wise since you said anything 2000 and up sucks but for the most part the humor lacked the substance and creativity of the original spumco episodes, just a bunch of really in your face shit jokes. But even the 90s stuff that people are so fond of are so overrated (like Animaniacs, ewwwwwwwww. There is good animation present but more often than not it isn't very good. They try to make it seem like they embrace the principals of the golden age but they don't and when they try to they make a ton of mistakes cuz they don't understand it. So much of the animation is outsourced to Korean studios that either don't understand classic American animation or don't care and unlike many of the in house Tiny Toons cartoonists most of the in house cartoonists for Animaniacs don't understand it either. Tiny Toons can be like that too at times but they often use said principals correctly. Shows like Ren & Stimpy and Ed Edd n Eddy and Cow and Chicken are actually the shows that embrace these principals even tho they don't have this "we're bringing back classic animation" attitude about them. Well Ren & Stimpy does but the other 2 don't. Cow and Chicken's more like "we're taking the advancements of Ren & Stimpy and building on them" the way every cartoon should. Every cartoon should build on the advancements of the last properly made one, not go backwards in evolution like we have for so long). I understand it's virtually impossible to make a cartoon 100% in house anymore cuz it's way too expensive but at least when Ren & Stimpy outsourced animation John K was going over to the Korean studios himself with a translator and oversaw the whole thing instead of just sending the main parts of the animation over and waiting for stuff like the inbetweening to be sent back with tons and tons of errors.

Why not both?  xD If I like something, I'll watch it.  If not, I don't.  Simple as that.  xD

I would hazard a guess and say that all countries have great writers and great artists, not just one place or another.  The trouble is what is 'selling' in one place might not work in another.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woozle said:

Why not both?  xD If I like something, I'll watch it.  If not, I don't.  Simple as that.  xD

I would hazard a guess and say that all countries have great writers and great artists, not just one place or another.  The trouble is what is 'selling' in one place might not work in another.

The real trouble is executives with no creative ability at all call ALL of the shots and tell the talented creative people how to be creative, that's why I love Japanese animation the execs let the cartoonists rock

Edited by DabDeity710

• 2 weeks later...

I like the animation of america but I think with the years was losing in quality vs the Japanese animation is that in America the cartoons began to deform and in Japan not but I still like much more the American animation greetings to all Friends of kametsu and may God bless you all :)

i feel like its like quantity vs quality. American animations got more frames and episodes (quantity)  but usually really simple designs (with primitive geometry like boxes and cylinders for heads and such) while animes are made at a lower FPS count, around 12 episodes but has more anatomically correct designs and better (quality) written stores (probably because most cartoons are made for children while anime is targeted towards all ages thus the writing.).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, JJex said:

Japanese animation is better almost always aside from Avatar TLA and Legend of Korra lol

Exactly, the "cartoony" style is dead cuz nobody does it right anymore, only realistic animation gets it right these days. It's funny the only stuff with good "cartoony" cartooning these days outside of a few (like the Mickey Mouse reboot and Pig Goat Banana Cricket) is anime and the Last Airbender franchisesxD

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...