Japanese vs. American Animation

Koby

my god your really are a genius.I understand everything about the iggnorance of the western world and how they must catergorize anime.

oh and just to let you know in my country(England) the general public shares the same idiotic,sterotypical, narrow minded views about animation.All this and most of said people have never seen anime.Also in the late 90's up until the early 00's during the time when such anime as dragonball z,gundam wing and tenchi muyo was available to the general public via satelite tv,anime had a cult level following.however now in 2010 many of that of that cult following claim to have grown out of anime,calling it a phase during childhood.

At 14 years old where most of freinds accept the what is offered to them in the media(such as prime time soap operas and reality tv),i feel ostracized for having what people my percieve as being "nerdy" interests.hopefully in this decade anime was finally be recieved in the mainstream and popular culture.hopefully.

japanese anime is downright bad to the writing to the animation so much stills and its always the same story with 90% with there shows. america has better animation then japan. Those adult storys from japan can't even be taking seriously cause of there character designs they all look the same all they do is change there the color of there hair and eyes. Listen i watch alot of both I am a fan of them but you have to be honest with what your watching. i don't mean to mean to any one on the board but I am just giving my point of few

Japanese art styles i love, but the stories do get repetitive, but u get that from a communist country. American and Western world anime brings new shots, art styles and stories, a different perspective, and they normally get in japanese artists anyway, yeah sometimes they miss the ball but right now im sitting on the fence with who is better, im happy calling them equal

Anime is way better than cartoons. It has so much more to offer. Cartoons are dumbed down for kids, so it's hard for adults to get into the story. And the thing about how american cartoons are strictly good versus evil is right on. The only cartoons I remember from my childhood were always about some hero fighting a bad guy, like Batman or Spiderman. Shows like that are just way to predictable, but then again they are for little kids.

If by "communist country" you are reffering to Japan, they have had a democratic rule since their constitution in 1947 following the events of world war two.They have a similar govenrment to that of England in which monarchy does exist,but is a mere figurehead postion weilding no actual power.They also have general elections,not an appointed government through way of revolution as would be the case in communism.

Japanese anime hands down is the best overall on the sheer variety to choose from. I think that American cartoons have some of the best writing though. Wolverine and the Xmen was great. "Batman the animated series" (early 90's) writing doesn't have a equal. At least not off the top of my head. Mayazaki is a great story teller. I do have to hand it to DC. Those straight to DVD movies that they have been putting out have been awesome. Batman: Under the Hood, Green Lantern, and Superman/Batman Public Enemies to name a few.

variety of storylines and overall artwork i would say japanese, but i kinda hate the whole "which is better" argument. i try and accept each for their own merrits, and to be honest i regluarly watch just as many american animated shows/films (and have most fo my life) that i do anime shows. probably the biggest difference is that anime is like the hbo or showtime of animation. this is gonna sound lame, but like that old hbo line, "its not tv, its hbo", i think "its not cartoons, its anime" would work just as well

• 3 weeks later...
i have a question and it kinda revolves around this whole topic, when America gets a anime to dub it how much do they change? i think they just edit the mouth a little to match the voices better... or do they not mess with anything? any help on this? im talking to a friend who said he only watch's subs cuz he thinks it gets edited a lot for the dubs. i told him that i doubt that but he doesn't believe me am i wrong or is he?

i think i know what your friend means. but, i can't really confirm it. i only watched 1 show that is dubbed and subbed and two phrases are stuck in my mind.. "believe it!" and "thousand years of death!". i like the japanese version better.. "dattebayo!" and "thousand years of pain!" :P

• 4 weeks later...

Depends totally on the show/movie. There's some fantastic stuff Put out in the States, just as there is a lot of crap. Japan is the same way. There's no question Japan utilizes the medium more diversly than the US, but that doesn't really make one better or worse than the other. The US could definitely take some lessons though as to how to fully use animation as an entertainment form.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what jeff says, I personally prefer watching anime to cartoons because character development is very evident in anime more than cartoons, genre and story lines are way more interesting in anime...most cartoons I have come across only have heroes, villains and usually has a happy ending where the hero saves the day. anime (depending on the genre) is more realistic because some animes don't have happy ending and many animes don't have pure villains that are just plain evil but are usually misunderstood guys who strayed from their path.

First off, I read the entire thing, great paper! was it for a class, or did you just decide to write it?

Second, I agree with you. I think that the maturity level, and your very good point of the "good" and "evil" bases in american cartoons are two of the major differences between Japanese animation and american cartoons. Also, I think that american cartoons are designed to keep kids occupied, but not to make them think at all!! Now a days, I look at children watching spongebob and hanna montana and I freak out for our future! I would love to see kids watching Naruto and Bleach, or other such anime that can be watched by children as well as adults because at least they would then be learning good morals and values.

i think that anime is just for people that like to get out this world and need adventure and stuff cos most cartoons dont really have that imaginary world

i think the thing that makes anime better and more addictive is the it continues and you have to watch all the episodes except for fillers to find out what is going on and because we all want to know everything about the thing we love, anime has gone to the top

• 2 weeks later...