Family Guy vs American Dad

RazorDan

Which is the best?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like both shows, as does my wife, but I voted in the end for Family Guy for two reasons...Stewie and Peter's segues. Stewie should be self-explanatory and the segues Peter comes out with can be worth the price of admission for the entire show, even/especially when the main storyline of the episode is just not up to par (Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Conway Twitty...). I also love FG for Herbert the clearly incapable pedophile and his dog, at first when their characters were introduced I was less than amused (I have some rather harsh opinions on the topic of pedophiles thanks to personal experiences) but over time I have found him to be a very useful tool for driving home some serious points with humour, and the episode where Lois's father gets Chris into the Ivy League and about to be initiated into Skull and Bones only for Chris to back out and then Herbert tells Lois's dad that he was getting very tired of him as he takes him into the closet that he was expecting to have Chris in has always stuck with me and my funny bone.

On the other had American Dad does do a very good job of lampooning the ideal American family as seen by too many hard core American right wingers as well as doing some excellent political commentary dealing with the reality of American national politics both domestic and foreign, and Roger the alien while more than a little abrasive at times also does brilliant sendups of different personality types. I will admit that the recent serious reduction/absence of Hailey from many of the more recent episodes without much explanation has not worked well for me and been a bit of a distraction as well from the overall story material. I love Avery. Stan's boss at the CIA though, he is one of the best caricature characters I have seen anywhere in a very long time and Patrick Stewart's voice work on him is absolutely brilliant IMHO. Steve though I find generally far less useful as a character, but Fran can be wonderfully wicked at times and sadly Klaus hasn't been doing much for me as of late either.

In the end though even though lately I find American Dad being the better show at the moment overall I still have to give my pick between the two to Family Guy despite the flaws and warts showing because of its age.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Used to like Family Guy a lot, but it's gotten worse in it's recent years.

It doesn't look like FG is getting any better, so I'm going with American Dad.

It has better jokes and better characters.

Stewie Griffin was great when he was an more of an evil genius, and less of a walking "gay joke".

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I would not degrade myself into watching that stuff. I've seen some of a few eps when I had the tv on while doing things on the computer for

background noise. I find most the adult cartoon full of trash. Anime on the other hand is a completely different story. You can always see

something in the anime, like protecting the ones you love, or friendship or honor etc.

Other cartoons I feel reflect sick minds. Kids cartoons... Well they are for kids.

Edited by highland3r
spelling mistake