What settings do you have for Utorrent?

shinji

@Koby: Are you sure it's your ISP's fault? If you're like us, then every street (perhaps every other street, I'm not exactly sure) has their own dedicated line. And that line has a limit, so, during busy times, when everybody in your area is trying to get online, it gets really slow.

It might be that, lol.. I'm not really sure about it.. but I've heard a lot of people talk about ISP throttling connections with P2P Programs.. so I just kind of figured that was probably it.

The slow times happen at odd hours too.. most of the time it's around 8 PM to 10 PM.. and then 1:30 AM to like 4 AM.. :/

Then other times it's just random.. I'm not so sure that there would be enough people on our street up at 4 in the morning to cause the torrents to go to less than 1 kbps.. do you?

I've also heard that some P2P programs sometimes limit the download speed when your ratio is too low.. and will try to let it pick up some before going back to normal.. My ratio is at 0.51 at the moment. I'm not sure if uTorrent does that though.

I'm been seeding like crazy, but on a normal day of speed here.. all the torrents together are like 320 KBPS downloading, and like 30 KBPS uploading..

The upload speed is slow.. for the downloads to be so fast. O.o

@Koby: I can understand the slow times between 2000 and 2200, but 0130 and 0400 is very odd. So, I doubt that's the case. Especially because you say it's 1kb/s. No, I don't ever get that low. At worst, it's down to 20kb/s. Which is still bearable to me for an overnight torrent.

What you say about limiting the speeds on P2P programs sounds plausible. And I don't think uTorrent does the ratio thing, as my ratio is 1.3 and I'm not much better off than you for speed.

So, who knows what the issue is.

maybe it's because your settings aren't optimal for your current setup?

also, do you have the encryption on for your uTorrent? I've heard that allowing encryption would result in faster speeds if you're being throttled by your isp. As for the ratio thing, I highly doubt that that's the case. My ratio would be surely crap (dl and then switch it off) but i still get good speeds.

btw, i know it's not good to do that, but unlike you guys in the U.S, Australia has limited downloads / uploads.. so yeah. When you go over that limit u get capped to 64kbps / whatever or pay extra pending what your contract is.

Perhaps it's because of the seeds - leechers? and that you're getting a bad batch of seeds (people who only upload like 5kb/s or so and is divided amongst x amounts of people.

maybe it's because your settings aren't optimal for your current setup?

also, do you have the encryption on for your uTorrent? I've heard that allowing encryption would result in faster speeds if you're being throttled by your isp. As for the ratio thing, I highly doubt that that's the case. My ratio would be surely crap (dl and then switch it off) but i still get good speeds.

btw, i know it's not good to do that, but unlike you guys in the U.S, Australia has limited downloads / uploads.. so yeah. When you go over that limit u get capped to 64kbps / whatever or pay extra pending what your contract is.

Perhaps it's because of the seeds - leechers? and that you're getting a bad batch of seeds (people who only upload like 5kb/s or so and is divided amongst x amounts of people.

Some of the torrents are aXXo's dvdrips which have like 14,000 + seeds when first released a lot of the time.. O.o

• 3 months later...

I tweaked everything I can for utorrent and I get an average speed of 30~ kB/s if it's a good torrent (plenty of seeds)

On a not so good torrent, the max I get, around 15~ kB/s but most of the time i get around 5~ kB/s

My ISP (Malaysia) is very good at throttling speeds... 24/7 throttle, I'd be lucky to get those 30++ speeds. I'm on an unlimited download/upload 512/256 kbps connection though, so the max download speed I get is around 64 kBps.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...