What Games would make good Movies?

Dartril

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having a discussion with my brother about a week ago, of how good a Zelda OOT movie would be. Not just one movie, but a trilogy.

First movie young link up until the discovery of the Master Sword (Ending with a blinding light as he is pulling the sword out of the ground). Second movie would be all the temples (or up to Spirit Temple, being the final temple and Ganondorf's birth place). And the third revolving around Link and Ganondorf and Spirit Temple. This would be so awesome.

I know I went in a bit too in depth and isn't what the thread it about but oh well, too bad lol.

Half-life 2, or Bioshock.

Nah, screw those ideas.. they should just make a 3 hour long film about PONG. The epic tail about a pixilated ball's journey from one side of the dark abyss to the other, then back again, then back again, then back again, then back again.......the possibilities are endless, truly endless.

Meh, not a huge fan of straight adaptions. A lot of games are learning storytelling from film these days and are even incorporating film sequences into gameplay (Uncharted and God of War did it well, and Enslaved did it rather seamlessly). Heavy Rain, of course, was essentially a movie, just really long and interactive. It seems to me that the prime difference between film and games right now is (and will always be) the interactivity. While most people take this at face value and try to adapt a movie with the same elements, it just doesn't work like that. All those hundreds of thousands of enemies you kill in a game are interesting because of the interactivity, but, by being in the game, they become part of the story. If you leave the enemies in the movie, they won't mean much, if you remove them then you change the story. This sort of thing makes me wonder if a movie can actually retain the emotion of the game it is adapted from. It should also be noted that the story structure is, at present, very different from film structure.

Still, if I have to choose a game I'd like to see as a movie, I'd love to see a Mortal Kombat movie made off that mock trailer that was released a long time ago (the internet series just wasn't as cool as that one trailer). God of War might also have potential, though capturing the frustration of the game would be difficult.

• 2 weeks later...