Life without Internet...

Jikochuu

We had a life without Internet, right ? But... can you remember how it was ?

What were you doing at that time ? What was your hobbies, occupations... how did you lived without it ?!

I recently noticed how my life has changed since Internet came in my life and I started to ask me this question "What was I doing before ?"

Of course, I have the answer : I wrote stories, read mangas and went to the library to make research... I bought CD's (one time a year XD) and sent letters.

See, now I can barely imagine to live without this "facility" procured by Internet... What about you guys : How does your life has changed ?

PS : I forgot the most important thing >>> I can DOWNLOAD animes XD

I think I was six when the internet was prominent. What was that, 1999/2000?

Either way I didn't do much out of ordinary besides going to school, come home to play video games on the PS or SNES. Rinse repeat for a couple of years until it did become a common household technology. I know my brothers used to walk or bike everywhere but in my personal experience, I've been to the public library about 3-6 times in my entire life. Mostly just to renew my library card so I can get research paper sources.

Can't say I ever bought a CD in my entire life... There are a few but I don't go out and buy them because [insert Musician] just released a new hit single.

I was a young'un, I wasn't expected to do much.

Interesting question. That was a long time ago it seems. I recall being an avid reader. I also played with toys more, but I suspect that may have been because of my age (though I refuse to believe there is anything wrong with an grown man breaking out a bucket of legos from time to time). I suppose I called people more back then. Honestly, I think that the internet expanded my life more than anything. I got my first video game console around the same time as the internet, which seemed to kill any interest in reading I had at the time (unfortunately. I've since desperately recultivated that skill).

On the positive side, however, I became much more aware of my creativity through the internet. I became a semi-notable artist in the spriting community, and made some good (but sadly, lost) friends at the time. Interestingly, it was that passion that brought me to a debate forum for the first time, and that has (for anyone who frequents the mako reactor) obviously influenced my life. It was around that time that I also began writing, mostly comic strips and a few short stories. The internet became a sort of proving ground for me, I could upload my work and was offered generally positive comments. I'm kind of a sucker for affirmation (probably not a good way to judge self-worth, here's hoping I've grown out of that a bit), so getting encouragement really helped encouraged me to pursue my creative side (and I'm still writing, so I guess it stuck).

Now then, onto a completely non-personal topic. This reminds me of some research a professor shared in one of my comm classes one day. The researchers observed that internet use restructures the brain, in that internet users think in a different way from non-internet users (for example, we sort information as interconnected pages rather than chronological pages as in a book). An example of this phenomena is when you try to teach your grandparent how to use the internet, they just don't get it (at least mine didn't), because their brain simply doesn't work that way. Just something I thought was intriguing (wish he'd given us the article. I really should try to find it).

i remember when you had to pay for the internet by the hour before AOL

I remember it all too well, broadband internet didn't become accessible to people other than business owners down here until a few years ago. before that, all we had was an overpriced 30 hour dial up package, after you've used the net for 30 hours, no more internet, google images was my only source of stimulation and sexual development...

These are good points !^^

i remember when you had to pay for the internet by the hour before AOL

I had the Internet very late (about my 18th ? XD) so I didn't know about that... but sounds almost prehistorical XD (not that far but...)

At the time I discovered Internet I went to my friends house to see how it was working. Blue, I couldn't get the thing ! XD

To learn japanese looked easier XD

before the internet i was a console gamer. went traveling. messing around with friends ect. after that decade of my life i got my first computer. with 56k use to chat on mirc with some hoties. then i got in to online gaming with quake 3 arena. now im a up and coming game designer and programer. so with out the internet i would be jobless.

• 2 months later...

My life was exactly the same. I'd get up, go to school, talk with friends, come home and chill, go to sleep. The only things that have changed are who I talk to and where they/school is located. The major things that have changed (going on day trips, going out to dinner, etc) aren't even related to the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

I can live without it, it's just a luxury for me. Been using the internet since 2001 when I was 10 or so, I don't really think it is all that important other than a better way of keeping in touch with friends and news. If I can't download anime then I would rent/borrow them and copy them like I used to do with movies. If I wanted a place like Kametsu, I'm sure at my university I can join an anime/manga club but right now I cbf doing extra things.

Basically I used to read alot and i remember being constantly outside getting into trouble with nextdoor neighboors ;p

Don't mind me asking, how do reading outside get you into trouble with your neighbours? It's not like you're making a lot of noise, unless you're a reading out really loud. If my neighbours told me off for reading outside, I would say go F off for sure. Recently my neighbour's kids, since they are teenagers they are causing a lot of trouble for me and a bad influence on other younger kids. Playing football in front of my house and breaking my window twice, broke a car windscreen. Now I'm scared they might damage my RX8, so every time they are in front of my house I walk out and stand outside to keep watch. That stupid teenager thought he could gang up to me with his little buddies, he thought soo wrong after I made him look soo stupid in front of his stupid friends, my dad has a lot of connections with the police, friends and such, lucky he was coming over that day and taught them a lesson. The teenager was basically begging me to don't let the police talk to his mum, but my friend did and she whacked him in front of his friends and told him to say sorry to me. LOL funny thing is that he was crying, what a sore loser. Anyway enough of my ranting.