Best antivirus software for PC?

DEATHxxx50bmg

• 5 years later...

Been using Eset Nod32 for several years now. If you're willing to pay for anti-virus software there is nothing else I'd be comfortable recommending to anyone.

I also do scans with Malwarebytes as well as their Anti-Rootkit. If I'm feeling OCD, I'll throw a Hitman Pro scan in their as well during my monthly system checks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Samue1 said:

Gave up after paying for Avira, Kapersky and Mcafee for around 10 years+. I asked my mom it's ok without anti-virus because I don't simply download when I see fake stuff.

The best AV is common sense, yes. However, a decent AV to be a backup would help.

I use Eset Smart Security. It's a pretty good AV.

I also get the 3-Yr sub for only $20 as I sell it work.

So, even better.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 11:45 AM, NeutralHatred said:

The best AV is common sense, yes. However, a decent AV to be a backup would help.

I use Eset Smart Security. It's a pretty good AV.

I also get the 3-Yr sub for only $20 as I sell it work.

So, even better.

Doesn't it slow down your PC?

18 minutes ago, Samue1 said:

No. Anti-Virus software doesn't slow down a PC no matter what you use. If your computer slows down with an anti-virus software, it just means you don't have enough RAM. You would have the same issues when running a game, also, if it uses more RAM that what it has access to.

6 hours ago, Samue1 said:

No. Eset is one of the best AVs out there that does not impact system performance. It even has a gaming mode where it disables he real-time scanner when a full-screen application is in use.

5 hours ago, ragnawind said:

No. Anti-Virus software doesn't slow down a PC no matter what you use. If your computer slows down with an anti-virus software, it just means you don't have enough RAM. You would have the same issues when running a game, also, if it uses more RAM that what it has access to.

True but, an AV that uses 4+ GBs of RAM is absolute garbage. Norton, for example, is a great AV but eats up RAM more than Chrome does. An AV that requires you to have a ton of RAM to not bog down your PC is shit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

No. Eset is one of the best AVs out there that does not impact system performance. It even has a gaming mode where it disables he real-time scanner when a full-screen application is in use.

True but, an AV that uses 4+ GBs of RAM is absolute garbage. Norton, for example, is a great AV but eats up RAM more than Chrome does. An AV that requires you to have a ton of RAM to not bog down your PC is shit.

yeah, I never use Norton, but it is not just because of the insane RAM requirements, but also by how much it can affect your computer if you stop paying for it and don't properly remove it. It basically embeds itself into your system until you use the complete uninstaller for it. Other Anti-Virus are also better at Zero Day infections, also, which are the only real issues nowadays to be careful of. Everything else is a simple fix to get rid of, including most ransomware. Personally, I use Trend Micro Maximum Security and it only uses around 256MB RAM total, unless something messes it up somehow 8GB should be all anyone needs with RAM and it shouldn't affect performance and will be future-proof for awhile yet. Not even games should need more than that with Anti-Virus disabled. Not even the most demanding games.

1 hour ago, ragnawind said:

yeah, I never use Norton, but it is not just because of the insane RAM requirements, but also by how much it can affect your computer if you stop paying for it and don't properly remove it. It basically embeds itself into your system until you use the complete uninstaller for it. Other Anti-Virus are also better at Zero Day infections, also, which are the only real issues nowadays to be careful of. Everything else is a simple fix to get rid of, including most ransomware. Personally, I use Trend Micro Maximum Security and it only uses around 256MB RAM total, unless something messes it up somehow 8GB should be all anyone needs with RAM and it shouldn't affect performance and will be future-proof for awhile yet. Not even games should need more than that with Anti-Virus disabled. Not even the most demanding games.

The average PC user and casual gamer would be fine with 8GB. However, depending on how much you want running in the background, the more RAM you'd need. I have Steam, Bnet, Eset, Corsair LINK, and other various programs I typically leave on, then there's Chrome and whatever game I want to play at the time. I also have two monitors so, my ability to multi-task is higher so, more things open. I'm currently replying to this with WoW running on my main monitor and I'm sitting at 6.5GB / 16GB being used.

To be safe, 12GB is probably closer to the recommended area if you do more than just surf the internet.