Code Geass vs Death Note  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Code Geass vs Death Note

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Death note sucked so bad after the first season, it was a joke (the whole concept of a death note is quite silly anyway). Killing L is was like killing Sherlock Holmes & continuing the story. The authors of the Death Note wanted to dragged the story as long as they could, because it was their cash cow. I was a shame they should have finished it with L. :(:(:(default_emos_sad.png

Code Geass had the best ending. The Ending  had all the epicness & greatness that Code Geass promised to deliverer from the very first episode & it did deliver, even though I saw it coming.default_emos_big_smile.png

32 minutes ago, Machan said:

Death note sucked so bad after the first season, it was a joke (the whole concept of a death note is quite silly anyway). Killing L is was like killing Sherlock Holmes & continuing the story. The authors of the Death Note wanted to dragged the story as long as they could, because it was their cash cow. I was a shame they should have finished it with L. :(:(:(default_emos_sad.png

Code Geass had the best ending. The Ending  had all the epicness & greatness that Code Geass promised to deliverer from the very first episode & it did deliver, even though I saw it coming.default_emos_big_smile.png

There is a big difference between Death Note and Sherlock. For starters Death Note was mostly Light's POV, not L's. While Sherlock was always Sherlock. Also your point on the matter is a bit off, because if they wanted to just continue the story to make cash; they wouldn't have killed L. In fact in the movies, L didn't die. He beat Light and then went on to solve another separate crime in the third film that didn't even involve a Death Note. However I enjoyed Part 2 just as much as the first. Mello was an excellent character imo and the plot was just as intriguing as before.

As for Code Geass. Season 1 was awesome. Season 2 was utter garbage. It had terrible pacing, ass-pulls galore, and deus-ex-machina to correct their inability to tell a coherent story. One of the biggest flaws has to do with Lelouche being a one-trick-pony who took out all of his biggest adversaries with the exact same trick. However the biggest yet is how badly people misinterpreted the ending. The writers eventually had to come out in an interview and explain that Lelouche couldn't die and that we may even see a new adaption some day way off into the future where he makes an appearance again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koby said:

There is a big difference between Death Note and Sherlock. For starters Death Note was mostly Light's POV, not L's. While Sherlock was always Sherlock. Also your point on the matter is a bit off, because if they wanted to just continue the story to make cash; they wouldn't have killed L. In fact in the movies, L didn't die. He beat Light and then went on to solve another separate crime in the third film that didn't even involve a Death Note. However I enjoyed Part 2 just as much as the first. Mello was an excellent character imo and the plot was just as intriguing as before.

Right on the money with that. I still don't understand why all the hate for the second part. I thought killing L was a bold move and what made Death Note an awesome anime.

The second season of both CG & DN sucked, but DN S2 sucked in a whole another level & the characters of the DN S2 were nauseating & phony. DN S2 was painful to watch. Killing L was a dick move to drag the manga there is that.

There is two scenes in the DN S1 I  really despised & liked.

In the scene where Yagami sneaking a portable tv to find about the criminal when he was under surveillance,  it was stupid beyond comparison, I thought the authors could have come up with a better idea than a freaking portable tv in a chip bag which was kindergarten level. It was plain stupid.default_emos_anger.png

I think this the best scene of death note,where Yagami extracts the real name of the FBI agent's wife & killing her with out any remorse, oh! it was so good! & priceless!. default_emos_big_smile.png That scene really made Light Yagami the true evil default_emos_hell_boy.png genius. I think its a one of best scene of anime all time.

The protagonists of both CG & DN witness their worlds crash beneath their feet. But in CG Lelouche has an epic end, he dies as he planned & his creation zero & his little sister live on as he expecteddefault_emos_victory.png. But in death note Yagami dies like a wounded little default_emos_too_sad.png bitch dragging his feet around & running away, it was so pathetic. In the end Shinigami had the last default_emos_haha.png laugh there.

Edited by Machan
typo

I don't think you understood the end to Code Geass. There isn't anything 'epic' in ass-pulling a deus-ex-machina win using the exact same strategy used twice before in the series and then faking your death to end the hatred you've placed on yourself so that people wouldn't hate anyone else. You seem to be trying too hard to hate on Death Note.

• Like 1

I understood the end of CG as any one would have, I am not a die-hard fan of Code Geass & I am not into mecha. Then the end of Death Note was abysmal in comparison to Code Geass, that's all I want to say (weather the death of Lelouche fake or not, I assumed it was real). Both of them were good anime series, but I've never re-watched both the series again after watching them for the first time six or seven years ago. But I watched Bakuman twice, as you might know Bakuman is around 75 episodes anime series from the authors of Death Note.

Edited by Machan

Yeah there are definitely similarities between the two, though only really superficially, I think.  Both of the main characters begin as ordinary guys who happen to come upon an ordinary power, and try to use it for good.  After that though, the two series really go off in different directions, with Code Geass becoming a resistance story, while Death Note sort of evolves into a detective-thriller hybrid.  Despite Lelouch dying, the end of Code Geass was for the most part optimistic, while the end of Death Note I viewed more as nihilistic.  But as for which one I find better, I don't know.

The one major complaint I have about Code Geass is that I view the show as kind of xenophobic towards America.  While it really isn't America (CG being alternate universe, and everything), to me the show kinda comes off as having a kind of attitude like, "America is being a bully to innocent Japan."  Of course, this may just be me, and I still like the show despite it.  The only other complaint I really have about the show is that I found R2 really underwhelming.  It wasn't necessarily bad, but I felt a lot more could have been done, or the show could have reached the same ending in a different way. 

The one thing I really did like about Code Geass, though, is that it really didn't seem to take itself too seriously, and seemed to have fun with it's characters.  Between the constant fanservice shots of all the female characters, Spinzaku, and the gloriously hamtastic performances of JYB and Crispen Freeman, the show is definitely something that's enjoyable and fun to watch.

I don't really have any major complaints about Death Note, like I have about Code Geass.  The only big complaint I really have is that I don't particularly like Near.  Perhaps that was intentional, as L was also a bit strange as well, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if Mello was the only replacement L in the second half of the story, instead of the quasi-L character Near was. 

I also enjoyed how over the top Death Note was as well, with all of these master plans playing out where L and Light thought exactly what the other was going to do, and formulated plans accordingly.  Wildly unrealistic, but entertaining, nonetheless.

As for which of the shows I enjoy more, I have to go with Code Geass.  That choice in the end comes down to the main characters, Lelouch and Light.  While both characters do succumb to some of the darker aspects of their powers, Light fully falls into and embraces the darkness.  By the end of the series, it becomes clear that he is only using the Death Note to keep the population of the world fearful and under his control, rather than his initially stated goal of making the world a better place.  While Lelouch definitely performs some morally questionable acts throughout both seasons of the show, at the end he shows that he never really forgot what his true purpose was, and strove to create his new world at the cost of his life.  He dies believing that what he did made the world a better place, while Light died (in the anime) running away and fearful for his life.  Perhaps it's just because I'm an optimist, but I like the idea of Lelouch keeping his ideals more than that of Light getting justly killed.  That's why I enjoy Code Geass more than Death Note.

• 4 weeks later...

Based on my experience of reading the Death Note manga and watching both R1 and R2 of Code Geass, I liked both for different reasons. I think that they are not similar to each other at least in the goals of the protagonists. Light wanted to become the god of the new world by controlling people through fear by using the Death Note to kill criminals. This would act as a deterrent for violence. As a result of having the power over life and death, Light developed a god complex. This is similar to Schneizel's plan for world peace as he would have used Democles as a deterrent for war. Lelouch's plan was different than Light's as he wanted to have the world focus all of their hatred on him. This was to show the people, what their own hatred unmasked looks and feels like. He would then die which would allow the world to look past their differences and work together to ensure peace. Light wanted to run everything himself in order to ensure that his new world would not fall apart at the seams.

• Like 1