Primus - Nemaria Universe

nemarious

Would you like to see Primus be restarted?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Primus be restarted?

• Yes
    • No

Hi folks, it's been a few days since I last posted something here so I figured I'd get something put up. This time I'm sharing with you my character designs for Enix, Koby and Square. I'll put the all in a spoiler so they don't take up too much room.

enixface.jpgkobyface.jpgsquareface.jpg

Mm, Malteser... oh, you're back. A little explanation? Why not!

Well, my design for Koby's incarnation in this game is based on where I plan on him being. The hair colour was based on his profile saying he had reddish-brown hair so I think that fits. A bit more red than brown but it looks nice. Coppery.

As for Enix and Square I tried to base their appearance on my views on their games. Enix was the company that originally made the DragonQuest games with Akira Toriyama's monster designs still present now, although a bit touched up obviously. I feel that those games take themselves less seriously. Indeed, the somewhat cheesy jokes and monster names are one of the things that makes DragonQuest Dragonquest. Because of that, I chose to make his appearance a bit zany and weird, hence the Mohawk and only a cloak covering his torso.

Contrary to that, I think Square has always taken itself quite seriously and is also more bothered about the appearance of it's games more than Enix. Both of these reasons explain the suit. I also imagine them as quite traditional and wise which is why I made him look a bit stuffy and thought he would be a more mature character. There's no reason especially for the moustache, it just looked right.

Also, welcome to those 5 people that have responded to the poll on recent days. Thankyou for your input, I hope you continue to visit the thread.

Koby, I hope you like my new signature as well :P I figured your opinion might attract some more people but who knows. Change is good anyway.

I'll hopefully have another update sometime Monday or Tuesday. I'm actually working on some poetry but that is relevant don't worry. See you whenever.

Dammit, I'm out of Maltersers...

EDIT: I had considered making Enix a cat-girl but figured that would be a little out of place. A bit too zany.

Wow, red hair and green eyes. xD Yeah that's me. lol @ at your new sig. ^.^

Lol, I got sick of having the same sort of crap that everyone else has where it shows how much time you've spent watching stuff but I didn't really know what else to have.

I also figured it might get more people a bit interested as I'm trying to push for 1k views.

On another note, is there anyway, when the game is finished, of stickying this thread? My thoughts are just that, after I've finished the game, the thread will slip down the Games board and no new people will see it. Seen as it is (essentially) a community game I thought it would make sense. Also, from that, I could start a new thread with my other games on it (after I've made them) and have it as like an RPG archive and have that stickied rather than this thread because organisation is the key.

Well I sit at a table waiting for my lecture and the oncoming boredom of the six hour gap after it and a thought pops into my head.

I was looking for a walkthrough for another game which made me think would you want one for Primus. I had considered writing one myself alongside developing the game but I won't waste my time if there is no appetite for it.

As I already have a poll up on the thread I can't set another one up so if you just respond here then that'll have to do.

As usual I look forward to your input.

I rarely use a walkthrough unless it's for one of a couple reasons. Either I got lost or stuck and after spending quite some time trying to figure my way back to where I need to go and being unable then I'll check the walkthrough. Or if I've beaten the game at least once and want to replay it and ensure to get every item. Or if just want to make sure to not miss anything at all in my first playthrough.

I rarely use a walkthrough unless it's for one of a couple reasons. Either I got lost or stuck and after spending quite some time trying to figure my way back to where I need to go and being unable then I'll check the walkthrough. Or if I've beaten the game at least once and want to replay it and ensure to get every item. Or if just want to make sure to not miss anything at all in my first playthrough.

The main reason I'd thought about doing one is because of all the hidden stuff in the game. There are plenty of hidden passages and quests. The point being that the chance of someone 100% completing the game on their first playthrough is very unlikely.

Added to this is the point of me not having to answer all the questions by myself when someone gets stuck because I already will have in the walkthrough. I thought the idea, at least, would make more sense than putting up a thread where help can be discussed.

If I do make one then I'll include it in the download as it'll probably only be around 1MB. If people want to use it for a second playthrough or they get stuck they can then just check the walkthrough and continue playing instead of posting a question and having to want for myself or someone else who has done that bit to respond.

Just a short notice that I've put up an estimate of the planned release period for the game in my first post. Currently my idea is late 2012 possibly slipping into 2013.

Ideally I would hope to get it done and dusted over next summer which would be Q3 2012 but it's always better to be generous with time frames from my experience.

As a note of what I've been working on today:

• A Poem
  • Alchemy Table (beta)
  • Weapon and armour lists (beta)
  • Adding area recommended levels to the concept document
  • Fleshing out two new areas in the concept document

Today I've been working on the Concept Document (more of a GDD now) focusing on tidying it up and adding plans for the bosses in the game so far. I have also scrapped one section because it made no sense.

I'll be working on it a bit more tomorrow. I plan on having the first section done completely with the new layout changes and information about bosses and recommended levels by the end of the week.

Then I can focus on Chapter 2.

I also need to finish the poem...

I'm not feeling too great at the moment so I will admit to not doing all that much Primus wise over the last few days.

I have done some things so which include some editing of the facesets I made for Enix, Koby and Square. This is mostly down to JPEGs seemingly not displaying accurately in RPG Maker so they are now PNGs to remove the white background from the image, which means they are compatible with any window colour.

Additionally I've been working more on the GDD (Game Design Document for anyone who didn't get it last time) as Concept Document is a bit of a stretch now. I've started a Spell/Skill list during which I decided to remove the Ice element spells because they didn't really fit into the whole elemental weakness thing. Plus I couldn't remember what I'd decided to call them :doubt:

Additionally, while we're talking about spells, I have reduced the maximum number for each element from six to four purely so I don't have to make tier three animations for all of them again, I'll just have to do tier two ones for those that only have one single target and one all target animations.

For now I'll focus on ridding my system of these germs and pull the focus on the game again next week. See you whenever.

EDIT: Ignore the Ice thing I figured it out...

Four princes bound through time and space,

Destined to save the human race,

From an otherworldly threat,

The conclusion is eternally set.

The first from a faraway place,

Was shepherded through, at unearthly pace,

No recollections of his fate,

Drawn to others with whom he can relate.

The second calls home a land of snow

The rivers frozen, they do not flow,

He cares for others, deep in his soul,

His kindness and charity will take its toll.

The third from a desert land,

Led by instinct not what was planned,

With great strength he leads them on,

Uniting them all to act as one.

The last dwells in a place of green,

Completely honest, always says what has been,

His intelligence helps to bind them,

Without knowing how to find them

The enemy that they face is great,

But no one will know of their foe's hate,

We do not know, for them, what awaits,

But should they fail all will revile their mistakes.

Make of that what you want...

Quite nice so far :). Even though I've just seen the first village and nothing more...

I'm looking forward to the continuation of this game! Especially the Battle Sytem appeals to me somehow xD.

And to write something useful, I'd like to show you a little bug ;):

djds4o7p.jpg

You've forgotten the self switch for the event here; one can get the item there unlimited times ;).

If you need any betatesters just tell me. I'm betatesting 2 other RPG-Maker games right now and translating one of them into English, so I'm quite familiar with things like that :).

@ walkthrough:

A thread where people can post their problems is imho enough for the beginning. After the game is (almost) fninished, there is no need for a walkthrough, as it simply means more work for you.

Cale

Quite nice so far :). Even though I've just seen the first village and nothing more...

I'm looking forward to the continuation of this game! Especially the Battle Sytem appeals to me somehow xD.

I thankyou for your kind words but would just point out that that is demo from the now redundant first incarnation of the game. I restarted it as mainly a graphical change (to Mack's tileset) which is when my PC died. I am now working on the third version that is completely separate and will not have the same maps. The premise of the story so far and the battle system will be the same though. I had considered implementing Tankentai as a battle system to have the full on FF7 looks to the combat but decided against it because it would mean delays that I don't strictly need to have.

And to write something useful, I'd like to show you a little bug ;):

djds4o7p.jpg

You've forgotten the self switch for the event here; one can get the item there unlimited times ;).

If you need any betatesters just tell me. I'm betatesting 2 other RPG-Maker games right now and translating one of them into English, so I'm quite familiar with things like that :).

As for the bug, nice spot but again, it's from a redundant version so I'm not all that bothered about correcting it, plus I don't have the project file anymore anyway.

As far as beta testers go, the project is still in the development stage. I'm reworking bits and pieces and doing the foundations properly with a industry standard Game Design Document at the moment which is where a lot of the content on this thread, like the poem above, have come from.

I'm yet to decide on whether to have beta testers or not at this stage because the project is in such a foetal stage. Having said that though, you clearly know about the structure of RPG Maker so you would certainly be a worthy candidate for testing when the need should arise. I'll add you as a friend on the forums as I may forget about it otherwise.

@ walkthrough:

A thread where people can post their problems is imho enough for the beginning. After the game is (almost) fninished, there is no need for a walkthrough, as it simply means more work for you.

Cale

I'm not bothered about doing the work. To be honest I quite like the idea of it myself because I can little insider notes about why I chose to things the way I did; like a directors commentary you get on DVDs.

Just as a note, if anyone else would be interested in testing the game, if you want to write a request in the thread and I'll add you to a list for consideration. Anybody that does end up testing the beta of the game will of course be credited.

I thankyou for your kind words but would just point out that that is demo from the now redundant first incarnation of the game. I restarted it as mainly a graphical change (to Mack's tileset) which is when my PC died. I am now working on the third version that is completely separate and will not have the same maps. The premise of the story so far and the battle system will be the same though. I had considered implementing Tankentai as a battle system to have the full on FF7 looks to the combat but decided against it because it would mean delays that I don't strictly need to have.

Ahh, now I understand everything xD. Didn't get it so far since I found Kametsu just a few days ago and I wasn't in the mood to read this whole thread ;).

I'm yet to decide on whether to have beta testers or not at this stage because the project is in such a foetal stage. Having said that though, you clearly know about the structure of RPG Maker so you would certainly be a worthy candidate for testing when the need should arise. I'll add you as a friend on the forums as I may forget about it otherwise.

Just ask me when you think the right time has come ;). It's not that I will run away - and maybe it's even better this way since I can finish the translation first.

Four princes brave and strong

Fought against injustice, what was wrong,

But, alas, they were not victorious,

The world plunged in a fate inglorious.

------------------------------------

Four princes brave and strong,

Fought against injustice, what was wrong,

They suceeded, after all, preventing catastrophe,

Their names forever written down in history.

All I will say about these poems is two things: Canonical and Zelda

haha nice! keep working at it man! I'm actually going to school for game dev next year!

I was doing a degree in game development last year but it wasn't as much fun. The reason I like making games is because I can do what I want, when I want for how long I want. At University it was make this game, like this, in three weeks or fail which kind of sucked the fun out of it.

Whereas now I can spend some time working on Primus and if get stuck (unlikely) or bored (more likely) I can take a break and come back to it in a few days. I guess what I like - and we're going all philosophical now - is not making games in itself, although I do enjoy crafting worlds and universes, but the thing I like is it gives me the freedom that doing it conventionally, for a job, wouldn't give me unless I was independent.

At some point I hope to write a tutorial on how to make games in RPG maker so other users can make them. I love playing and making RPGs so it would be fun to see what came from the minds of other users.

Either way, hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I did and good luck to you.

EDIT: I did learn a lot about the psychology of games, how they coax you into doing things for example which have helped me when I make games. One thing I've always struggled with is quest variety but there's not all that much you can do about it with RPG maker. I even looked through my DQ9 guide at there quests but they boil down to gathering/kill quests the same as any other game. I've tried to incorporate some puzzles into some of the ones I've planned so far but it is getting harder.

EDIT2: I also just noticed you live in Canada. You'll get a job up there very easily my friend, lots of incentives for studios to set up shop there. EA, Ubisoft, Eidos have all set up new studios in Canada and that's just a few. They're popping up all over the place from what I've read.

the thing I like is it gives me the freedom that doing it conventionally, for a job, wouldn't give me unless I was independent.

That's like me with graphical design. Everyone is always saying I should go to school and do it professionally, but I've always told them that I enjoy it as a hobby but if it was a job it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy the same way and thus it's not what I want to do professionally. I do occasionally take odd jobs for web designs and such (made 3-4 that I've been paid fairly well for, as well as some banners) but I just don't do it a lot of the time. I've never found the right balance of something I enjoy doing and something that wouldn't be ruined if I did it professionally so here I am... 22 years old and completely undecided what I want to do with my life or what I should take in college... so I still haven't even gotten around to the college part.. which I fear that I'll end up procrastinating too long about it.. ><

That's like me with graphical design. Everyone is always saying I should go to school and do it professionally, but I've always told them that I enjoy it as a hobby but if it was a job it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy the same way and thus it's not what I want to do professionally. I do occasionally take odd jobs for web designs and such (made 3-4 that I've been paid fairly well for, as well as some banners) but I just don't do it a lot of the time. I've never found the right balance of something I enjoy doing and something that wouldn't be ruined if I did it professionally so here I am... 22 years old and completely undecided what I want to do with my life or what I should take in college... so I still haven't even gotten around to the college part.. which I fear that I'll end up procrastinating too long about it.. ><

I'm not sure how much my advice will be worth to you but all I would say is that, from my experience at least, the things you love doing are not always best suited to being the things that you do, so to speak. For example, my love of anime is far newer than my love for making games (I originally started by making my own version of Monopoly aged 8) but I still wouldn't want to be a reviewer of anime professionally because I wouldn't be able to chose what to watch as much as I do now.

What I would suggest is you try to do something that's close to what you love but no too close that it could infect what you love if you know what I mean. So, for me, I chose to change to a Networks degree because, for one it's not an area I know all that much about, but it's also an area that could still get me into the games industry (considering the fiasco at Sony recently and the move towards cloud computing) although in far less a capacity than my programming degree would have. I'm not entirely sure what the parallel is for graphics design but maybe you could look into something that is like graphics design's third cousin once removed and study that.

Of course another alternative is to do something completely mundane in your day to day and then you'll appreciate your loves and passions even more so because of that.