Primus - Nemaria Universe

nemarious

Would you like to see Primus be restarted?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Primus be restarted?

• Yes
    • No

Just don't limit it too much. Some of us like to grind in some spots. I disliked that in FF13 they made it to where you have to progress to certain parts of the story before you could level up your characters on the Crystal thing. I enjoyed staying in an area for a while leveling up a little, not too much but enough to make the oncoming fights easier if I had a tough time the try before.

I understand exactly where you're coming from. However, the problem with the default damage calculation algorithm - which I'm using purely for compatibility with other scripts - is that is results in damage going up insane amounts from one level which results in balance problems. At the moment you are limited to level 7 which is more than enough. At level 7 you have over 65 health and the strongest monster is hitting you for 4 damage if you have the best equipment and you can kill stuff in a hit sometimes.

My main concern is that with the recommended level being only 5/6 currently - that's where I'll be aiming the balancing at for Irvine mine - that people will grind for synthesis drops and completely remove the challenge from the rest of the game.

When the game is complete I plan on removing the limit entirely so you could do what you like then, its just while I've got people like idl that are playing through the rolling updates I don't want the game, for the same reason as square enix I'd guess, to be too easy.

EDIT: I'm trying to limit the need for grinding anyway as I don't believe it to be that much fun.

EDIT2: I also plan on adding cactuar/metal slime style enemies for you to hunt down.

I think it could help to get people interested in trying it out if you posted some screen caps of the battle screen, some area's of the game, and some character pics in the first post.

I'm going to download it later and try it out though it sounds fun. ^.^

I think it could help to get people interested in trying it out if you posted some screen caps of the battle screen, some area's of the game, and some character pics in the first post.

I'm going to download it later and try it out though it sounds fun. ^.^

yeah I'm curious about it but I wanna see some screen shots before I look at it.

[update V0.1d revision]

Another small revision. Some slight mapping changes to Irvine and World Map.

Also, I added a small text file detailing the controls for those that may be unsure.

I have also got around to putting some screenshots up for people that want to take a look before they download the game.

I've updated the layout of my first post. This is mainly for making it shorter.

As for the game, Irvine Mine is Complete and Trapern is coming along nicely. Just have to finish Trapern, do Mt. Gaix and have a few test runs to make sure everything is working properly then we'll be onto version 0.2.

I have taken the decision to rework the game from scratch. I've recently found out that I've been doing things a bit...craply.

As such I will be restarting the whole project. It shouldn't take long though as everything is already done, so it's like installing a new graphics card in a pc that already works.

I will therefore not by updating this thread until the end of august whilst I get everything up and working again. By this time the game will be further developed and will have more content than it does currently.

I will be leaving the current one up but my premium runs out on August 6th so it may become inactive by the time the new one is up.

I will still be an active member of the forums (I logon at least once a day) so I will be checking my threads still so feel free to post if it's down and I'll re-upload what there was.

This is something that happens quite frequently in game development and is the main reason that Duke Nukem: Forever was delayed so long as new graphics and physics technologies were developed which made the original look a bit...[insert your own expletive].

I thank everyone for there kind support with development so far, especially Koby, Iki and Idl12. If I wasn't a one-man development studio this process would go a lot quicker but that's life I guess. I'll see you in August.

I'm committed to this game but want to deliver the best possible experience for you.

Regards,

Mathew Searson

I just downloaded this, but text isn't showing up and I can't open the game since the Rvproj file isn't included and the database is encrypted. Is there a specific place the game needs extracted or specific files you need to have or something?

The last time I touched RPG Maker, was when I used RPG Maker 2000... geesh, that was a long time ago.. how does this one compare to the older versions?

I have used RPG Maker 2000, RM2k3, RMXP, and RMVX myself. I didn't like RMXP, at all, for some reason. My favorites were RM2k3 and RMVX personally. This new version brought back a lot of features that weren't in RMXP that were in the older ones and is overall better than the previous ones, especially if you can program in Ruby, though I can't.

EDIT: Here is an image of what I get:

Untitled-15.png

Note that I have the RTP and RPG Maker installed to their default locations in Windows XP.

I just downloaded this, but text isn't showing up and I can't open the game since the Rvproj file isn't included and the database is encrypted. Is there a specific place the game needs extracted or specific files you need to have or something?

EDIT: Here is an image of what I get:

Untitled-15.png

Note that I have the RTP and RPG Maker installed to their default locations in Windows XP.

From that it looks like you dont have the font installed. I'm not using umegothic plus, which is the default for rpg maker font, I'm using agency fb instead. I thought this was a default windows font but after researching it isnt. Downloading and installing it into your font folder should solve your problem.

I'm assuming you can still move around and stuff seen as you don't mention and problems other than not seeing the text.

I am changing to a monospaced font for the revamped version I am working on now. I will hope to prevent this problem in the future by providing the font with the zip file.

For anybody that doesn't have the Agency FB fonts installed on their machine I've uploaded them here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BQW2QDAC

I think it'd be best to choose a font that is already on everyone's system or find a way to make the new font install itself upon installation of the game rather then adding another step of having to go install the font ourselves, especially just to play a game.

From that it looks like you dont have the font installed. I'm not using umegothic plus, which is the default for rpg maker font, I'm using agency fb instead. I thought this was a default windows font but after researching it isnt. Downloading and installing it into your font folder should solve your problem.

I'm assuming you can still move around and stuff seen as you don't mention and problems other than not seeing the text.

I am changing to a monospaced font or the revamped version I am working on now. I will hope to prevent this problem in the future by providing the font with the zip file.

That fixed the problem, so it should definitely include the font in the next release. I also had a problem opening a chest before, but with the font installed now, that problem is gone, too.

That fixed the problem, so it should definitely include the font in the next release. I also had a problem opening a chest before, but with the font installed now, that problem is gone, too.

Yeah the problem with the chest will be for the same reason because the pop-up script - and other scripts for that matter - have a built in function where you can change the font, size, colour etc of the text for those particular windows. I would have included it in previous releases but I don't remember downloading and installing it myself so I had assumed it was a standard windows font. Plus, no one else had mentioned any problems before so it seems you're one of the unlucky ones. I hope you enjoy it now everything is working properly though. Bear in mind though that I'm completely revamping what little there is there now as we speak.

So far, I've started the organisation phase of the project (setting up map folder, organising the database etc). Like I said previously though, I will not be releasing anything until the end of August so people aren't playing the same content for the third time.

COMPETITION TIME!!!

I decided to give people another competition to give them a little something to do while they wait.

What you need to do:

Correctly tell me what this formula was used for. Bear in mind it was written in Excel so if you don't know how that works then it's not your lucky day I'm afraid.

The formula:

=D6 * (1.15 - ((ROW() - 6) * 0.0011))

The Prize

The first post that correctly tells me what the above formula was used for will be able to name a town on the Northern, snow-covered continent of Ehatia in game, whatever they want. This has the same caveat as the art competition that it has to be relatively sensible.

If no one has figured it out by the time I get to making this part in-game then I will just name it what I like and the competition will close. Good luck to all of you.

I think it'd be best to choose a font that is already on everyone's system or find a way to make the new font install itself upon installation of the game rather then adding another step of having to go install the font ourselves, especially just to play a game.

Like I said just before your post...

I am changing to a monospaced font on the revamped version I am working on now. I will hope to prevent this problem in the future by providing the font with the zip file.

For now, I don't see the point of reuploading when that version is redundant anyway. I appreciate it will be annoying for any that don't have the font but I would suggest they either wait until the next (good) version comes out or if they really want to play this inferior version then they could just install the font. I'll add a link to them and a note on the first post. I'll put it here and in my other response to Ragnawind as well :)

For anybody that doesn't have the Agency FB fonts installed on their machine I've uploaded them here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BQW2QDAC

Simplified the formula a little bit so people that don't use Excel can still work it out.

A x (1.15 - ((A - C) x 0.0011))

Where A is the row you're on and C is a constant with the same value A was initially.

Here are a few examples

When A = 1

1 x (1.15 - ((1 - 1) x 0.0011)) =

1 x (1.15 - ((0) x 0.0011)) =

1 x (1.15 - (0)) =

1 x (1.15) =

When A = 2 (C remains 1 as that was A's initial value)

2 x (1.15 - ((2 - 1) x 0.0011)) =

2 x (1.15 - ((1) x 0.0011)) =

2 x (1.15 - (0.0011)) =

2 x (1.1489) =

So we can see that the formula results in slight changes to the sum when A increases. You'd think that when A=2 that the result would be 2.3 as that would be double the result of when A=1. What kind of use can you think off for a formula that results in diminishing returns?

First off, is there a definate correct answer, or is this something that can have multiple answers to?

Now for my answer.

Well, the only thing I can even romotely think of would be that this formula could possibly be used to determine how much experience some would have to earn to achieve the next level in a game. You wouls never want to multiply the experience needed by two each level, because that would make it nearly impossible to level up evenly. It would take to long and make the game boring. By deminishing the value needed each level, it reduces the amount needed, therefore making it a bearable level-grind.

I shall warn you now, I am not the most intelligent person BY FAR. This is what I think the formula could be used for with a slightly above-average level of intelligence. I can't wait to see what the formula is actually used for, because I'm veeery curious.

Well done, that is absolutely spot on. I used the formula (with a base of 100 experience to get to level 2) to work out how much experience would be needed to go from one level to another as the default gradients are not very... Liberal. You need a total of around 760k exp to max a character out.

This combined with a new script which allows for levelling up of monsters should allow me to balance the game more easily without the level limits imposed on previous versions. Instead of hitting 4 at level 1 and then jumping up to 11 at level 2 it will allow a more even keel.

I will go and remove the competition details from the first post while I await your decision on the name of the Ehatian town.

WOOOW!! I can't believe I got that right!! I looked back and thought that my answer actually sounded stupid. I'm very happy I got it right! Well, thank you for giving me a good brain puzzler. It took me at least twenty minutes to figure it out!

Uhhhmmm, how about naming the town Veruna? Like, The Town of Veruna? I think it sounds like it belongs in a country called Ehatia.

It shall be done. It is actually going to be a collegium where great scientists and scholars live and work. It is part of Ehatia but is also its own state in a way similar to Vatican city being inside of Italy but also separate. Ehatia is the third continent we visit. We have Alydra first then Malmasc, Ehatia and finally Daralas before moving onto Signaterras, the sealed lands. And that isn't even everywhere :)

Veruna is an important stopping point after going through Sepulchre but I don't want to tell everyone all the story. I hope you look forward to visiting it in game.

Very bad news today folks. Having recently had to replace my mobo, it is time for the rest of my pc to die. I cannot tell you how angry I feel right now. I have no idea how long it will take me to save up for a new pc but I hope to have one by the end of the year. I can only hope that my HDD is still ok so I won't have lost the progress at least.

Unfortunately though, for now anyway, Primus - Thy Guided hand as a project is dead.

I'm going to go punch a few walls...