Why are we so dead?

Koby

Hey, I realize this discussion isn't really going anymore, but I think I have some things to say about it.

I own a website, dedicated to another videogame, and while the main site hardly brings anyone, its the forum that attracts visitors and keeps them there. I really don't know what happened - while the site itself has not been updated in almost two years, the forums have almost 2500 members and have a new topic every day. Recently it's died down a bit, and I blame it on school. I am guessing come June, more people will show up that haven't for ages.

The moral of the story - even though it doesn't seem very good now, websites (especially forums) go through a lot of ups and downs. Another thing you have against you, possibly, is the sheer amount of other Final Fantasy/anime/KH forums and sites. I tried opening an FF forum and site myself, and it went down because there's so many others. So you have to do something to make yourself really stand out - maybe adopt another game which has fewer sites dedicated to that, and try and lure that fanbase in.

You have the right idea with the affiliates, cause numbers are good. BUT if you can't make a website made towards other fanbases, maybe affiliate with sites of other fanbases, instead of all or mostly FF and KH.

I see your main site is doing well, since it has a lot of unique visitors and visitors looking around, so maybe to get people in your forum, advertise it more on your own site. Make a big graphic saying "Join the Forums" instead of just a link.

What you're essentially trying to do is get a lot of people, with a wide range of interests and age and what have you, to come to this one place.

I know this advice is largely theoretical, so take it with a grain of salt, I suppose. But I wouldn't give up on it... I have been there before and wanting to just throw it away especially cause of money concerns. Maybe just cut back on the things which cost you the most, or find someone willing to host the high bandwidth stuff or whatever. Something is better than nothing, after all. I'll try and help you out somehow, if I can, but to be honest, I do find advertising someone else's site on another forum a bit snarky ^^;

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well koby, i think this might help but who knows. I advertised your forum on my site. when people click on the forum link, it will send them here, i think i already talked to you about this awhile back ha ha. well i hope it helps :)

i don't want this place to go dead like all the others :(

sorry koby

ive been so busy i check it barely ever even bother to log in but lifes been a real rollercoaster

nothing really interests me here anymore =.=

i talk to everyone i know on im's and no one rps anymore so ....

my end result is ghosting the forum and occasionally posting some graphics

Well, you can blame cloud1414 for me being here, lol. I keep a check on the site of his I host, lol, found your link and decided to try and become an active member! Might be hard though because I'm notoriously lazy :P

If you are the owner of entity's arena then you have known me for a while, we are old affiliates. =P

Well, you can blame cloud1414 for me being here, lol. I keep a check on the site of his I host, lol, found your link and decided to try and become an active member! Might be hard though because I'm notoriously lazy :P

I second the notoriously laziness. Course, I have 2 sites, 1 forum, and 1 WoW Private Server that I keep an eye on and manage. June 2nd, I go back to college for the summer to get some needed classes out of the way. Since I use Windows Vista, I've been using a sticky notes gadget to keep tabs of things i need to do. I can have a maximum of 10 and I'm already using 9/10 (mostly cause of my laziness). lol

I know there aren't a whole lot of World of Warcraft sites/forums. Maybe try taking on that MMORPG might bring in a crowd. I may not get many visits on either of my sites, but I can add a link to my WoW Server site and my regular site (which I host my own forum). I have a lot of space and hardly use bandwidth, I'd be willing to host some downloadable files if you need to conserve space and/or bandwidth.

Man, I was unable to get on the internet for a couple of days, tried everything I could think of, repairing my connection, re-installing my wireless connection stuff, reset the router! And in the end... it was just a loose cable at the back of my router :\ Darn it!

Got the email updates, like the new shot box! :]

We strugled off and on... but it's never really picked back up from before all the hackings of the forum from before we had vB. I try and try but no matter how many visitors I get coming here or to the sites, few of them ever join, and even fewer ever become active members..

Looking at numbers it's ridiculous..

Websites Visitors per Day:

FM - 1200 - 3500

GO - 500 - 700

KHT - 300 - 500

Kametsu - 150 - 450

SI - 150 - 300

EDK - 150 - 400

and the forum is getting 2,000+ visitors per day... this stats are via my hosting webstatistics...

Yet only about 5 to 6 people join the forum per week, and only about 7 through 15 members sign on per day, and we are only having like 5 to 20 posts per day (most of which are me, and most of them are anime downloads)...

I try and try to get our current members to have stuff to talk about and to be more active, but none of them, including you (everyone who posted in this thread) have really even tried to help by being active yourselves.. :/

I been advertising quite a bit the other day for one of the sites.. and the hits that day went up by over 500... xD hopefully it stays that way, and hopefully people start joining the forum more..

What is it that you all want.. that will enable you to be more active? =P lol..

well I will help out as much as i can as i will be on every day and will try to get friends other members i know on other forums to etc I even creat new threads if it helps out well lets hope for sucess.

• 1 month later...

Well the one thing you need to also remember is that there is a problem out there with the economy, so some people are starting to save on their money.. so they are either cutting down or cutting back on costs due to electricity, food, and more so gas. Internet isn't a true need for many at this time.. so keep that in mind at least when it comes to the states if anything, Koby.

I have had some friends stop going online due to their bills are too high on the electricity so they are either cutting back on spending their time with the computer on or they are cutting the net out so they can afford to pay their bills. Some are even thinking about going back on dial up as it's the cheapest right now with this kind of economic spill going on right now or just waiting til they can get on the net elsewhere like a library or a friend/relative's house. =/