Your thoughts on the new PSP Vita?

nemarious

Are you interested in the newly announced PSP Vita? Would you buy one?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the newly announced PSP Vita? Would you buy one?

• Yes, this announcement/console really interest me. I would buy one now, no matter the price.
    • I'm somewhat interested in the announcement/console but will wait for more information before deciding what to do.
    • My feelings towards to announcement/console or neither positive or negative.
    • I'm not that bothered about the announcement/console. It's likely that I will buy one at some point if a feature is changed/added.
    • I couldn't care less about this. I will not be buying one no matter what.

Sister thread about the Wii U:

http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=17743

Well, aside from the Wii U, the other major hardware announcement was the sequel to the PSP, the PSP Vita. For anyone that doesn't know, 'Vita' is life in Latin.

To be truthful, we all knew this was coming a long time before it was announced, but now we have some confirmed details about the way it works. They are as follows:

• It looks similar to the original PSP (not PSP-GO) but has a touchscreen on the front and touchpad on the back, as well as two improved analogue sticks.
  • Like the PSP go though, it doesn't use a disc format and stores its games and data on removable storage like SD cards.
  • Despite not using a disc format you will be able to play PSP games on it. Presumably this will be through some kind of free download or maybe thats just too optimistic.
  • Graphics are apparently similar to the PS3. Certainly the Uncharted footage looks as good.
  • Two versions will be available. One with just WiFi costing around €250 and one with WiFi and 3G costing around €300.

Several well known franchises will also make an appearance early on in the PSP Vita's lifetime with Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048, Little Big Planet and Mod Nation Racers as well as other games like the interesting sounding Ruin.

So, my question is the same as it was on my sister thread; what do you think?

Also, please take the time to answer the poll, I'm curious to compare the responses between the two threads.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be lying if i said i wasn't interested in the PS Vita, however, my only reason for buying it would be the ability to import my game data from and to my PS3. If it has that feature, then i'm sold outright. I'm going to wait a year anyway after the release - hopefully allowing any issues that have slipped under Sony's production radar to be addressed.

I'd be lying if i said i wasn't interested in the PS Vita, however, my only reason for buying it would be the ability to import my game data from and to my PS3. If it has that feature, then i'm sold outright.

I know for sure that you can do it with wipEout 2048. That particular game even has the ability to have online matches with PS3 users. If most developers utilized it for their games that were on both machines, it would certainly be a big selling point. I was going to include details about it in my first post but as its not like the 360 achievement system - where every game has to have 1000g available - I didn't bother.

[EDIT] I'm also aware that most of the custom content from PS3 Little Big Planet games should be compatible with the PS Vita Version.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested ^_^

The new features look really interesting, plus I had a lot of fun playing multiplayer games like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Valkyria Chronicles 2 with my best friends on the first PSP. So if the PSVita gets a good range of multiplayer games (and single player games of course), I'll be very happy with it.

Personally, I don't have a PS3, so

the PSVita might not work well with me.

However, I am in fact interested. The graphics look really great,

but the ability to transfer games to PS3 and PSVita seems similar to the Wii U aspect.

I am hoping to see a difference between the PS3 and the Vita at least...

Just making the Vita just to make PS3 games portable seems like a waste

there is no way sony is gonna make a controller with a touchpad when the vita is basically that

hell I can see a higher chance of them using the vita as a controller option (kind of like using your psp with the ps3) more than making a dualshock with a touch screen

thats just stupid... wtf were they thinking... that shit is gonna be so damn expensive... especially if you want to add a bunch of other controllers for multiplayer

I've been awaiting this for about a year now. I've had my original PSP since the Christmas after it released. It's my favorite media device. Pics, Music, games. And I've had a generally higher satisfaction rate from its A-ranked titles like MGS:PW And P3P than any other portable. The only disappointing factor is that many developers haven't even tried to make use of online multiplayer via Wifi (Infrastructure Mode).

So my biggest hope for this demonstrably powerful device is that developers look at it as an equal to consoles with more interactive options than available by controller. While Golden Abyss looks great, I can't help but feel like the opening line-up for the Vita is appallingly weak. Ruin brings nothin interesting to the table (IMO). Seriously? A top-down perspective on something boasting PS3 level graphics? Lame.

And considering that they finally added a damn second joystick you'd think somebody would try something ambitious like getting a full scale Call of Duty title or an equal to or greater than FPS experience going. With 3G (Granted that it's AT&T) You could have a portable hardcore online gaming experience on par with those long nights of Drinking Mountain Dew and yelling at campers noobtubing you. I want to rage quit in public.

Most of all in terms of games, I want a deeply detailed RPG. This will be difficult since I barely even get that experience from consoles. Hell, for now i'd settle for Final Fantasy:Type-0 being delayed for a Vita upgrade in terms of controls and graphical quality. And even that's just wishful thinking.

My PSP is my portable music device so that is my main focus of attention, with my only request that they heighten the volume level and balance out the difference between Music player volume levels and gameplay volume. (Example: I keeps the volume at 4 marks below MAX for music but take it down to 1/4th of MAX for games.)

*Sigh* That was a mouthful.