Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

I prefer subs myself, I think that most of the dubs make the characters sound too cheesy. I think the japanese audio conveys more feeling in the characters as they were meant to have. Can't be the original is my thought. I can do subs and still watch the show fairly well.

I don't mind subs at all but I prefer watching the english with subs based from the japanese script. If you miss something in the english script you can use the sub to help determine a more accurate meaning of the more poorly english scripted parts.

But then there are just some dubs that I can't stand so i'll watch the sub version.

Id have to say depends on the cast playing the voices. Sometimes you get a really dedicated cast that makes the subbed worth watching. I prefer dubbed just cause 15 years of reading subbed has got me rather annoyed with it now. I only usually watch subbed now if I can't wait for the dub or it's not available.

But I also have to say, if you watched the Japanese voices for so long trying to watch it in English sounds odd. Same goes for seeing English first and liking it and trying to go to Japanese.

I LOVE English dubs. Although I can understand quite a bit of the Japanese language, I just can't stand most of the voices. IE: Goku (DBZ+), I can't for the life of me understand why people love that high pitched inhumanly annoying Japanese voice over the deeper more realistic English voice. I understand they wanted to portray Goku as a boyish man-child but I don't care how fun-loving or immature you are, it's not going to make your voice sound like a pair of screeching vehicle brakes.

People bash on Eng Dubs all the time, specially Funimations but I love them. Edward (FMA), Spike (CowboyBB), Goku (Dragonball-z-gt), Vash (Trigun), Guts (Berserk). I think they are all great English voice actors. I don't even look at what Dubber they use.

But I'm no fan-boy of dubs either. listening to Naruto's English voice makes me think of Rosie O Donald (Ew) and that crud he spews out of his mouth every other sentence is as bad as "~Desu". Bleach is nearly as bad.

Seems like all the new animes are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to English dub quality huh. Aaannnd I'm rambling.. lol sorry, it just bothers me I guess.

For me it depends on the Anime. Some of the dubbing doesn't sound like it fits sometimes (the characters sound older or younger than their supposed to be), but in some they sound the right age. The Japanese versions are good in that area, while the English versions are kid of hit and miss in my opinion.

It quite definitely depends on what we're talking here. Often I will settle for an English subtitled, Japanese dubbed version. But if it is available, I prefer an English dubbed (has to be well done!!) version, because then I don't have to rely on reading subtitles for everything. I enjoy anime much more when I don't have to read it.

i really think it depends.

some animes' english dubbing is awesome! and, even way too much better than the original japnese ones sometimes. like, code geass for one, cuz in code geass there were robots, guns, modern weapons and something which really suits the english language. especially for suzaku, he's a soldier dressed like those in Saving Private Ryan, thus he should be speaking english, doesn't he XDD. and i thought Yuri Lowenthal did a GREAT job to make it perfect!

on the other hand, inuyasha's english ver. isn't that good i think. the story was set in old japan then how could you expect someone dressed in traditional japanese clothes like that to burst out english words? or,, maybe it's just bcuz yamaguchi-san (the japanese seiyuu who roled inuyasha) voiced inuyasah too perfect to be matched by anyone else, who knows... it's just that inuyasha totally sounds weird when he speaks english....

If an anime is primarily featuring characters who are Japanese in a Japanese setting, I undoubtedly watch it in Japanese. If it features mostly Americans or Europeans, I try to watch in English. In terms of animes that feature neither or are beyond the scope of such things, I watch whichever has the better voice actors. Normally, that's Japanese, sometimes it's English, other times they are equal and in that case I prefer English.

Depends on the anime. For the most part, I prefer dubbed though, because I don't have to read. There's anime like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece that I'll watch dubbed until dubs run out and I'll continue with the subs. Then there's anime like Shrine of the Morning Mist which has a horrible dub, and it sucked, so I regret watching it lol Then there are new ones that are barely airing, so I'll just stick to subbed.

I hate having to read, so the dub. The voices are fine, and they're the ones I know now.

When watching 100's of episodes, I'd rather just watch and listen and get absorbed into what I'm watching instead of have to make sure I read what they're saying and try to pay attention to what's happening as well. I do pretty bad and have to pause to read dialog during a lot of animes...

I always watch the English dub if it's available, even if it's not very good. It's much easier for me to identify with the characters and it makes their phrases and actions more memorable and I'm able to get immersed easier as it's less effort for me and more of an enjoyable experience instead of having to worry about trying to read each line and pay attention to what's going on. For subbed animes that have fast dialog, I have to pause frequently to actually read the dialog - and that, I don't like. It's much more natural for me for it to be in my own language.

With that said, I don't mind watching subbed anime if there is no dub available, as is with most. But, I always prefer the dub.

It very much depends on the quality of the English dub for me. I watched the first 10 or so episodes of Air Gear, a friend go into it but complained that he had to read (sigh) so I said I'd see about getting an English dubbed version. Watched the first episode. Total Facepalm. On the other hand, I didn't think the dubs for Full Metal Alchemist were that bad. Generally I would rather have an English dubbed version because it makes life easier when you watch it with other people, but I will watch Japanese dubbed if the English is really bad.

• 2 weeks later...

it really depends on the anime, i would prefer to watch them in subs but with some i find it a little hard to keep up with what they are saying some times, but if i watch something in dub first i have to keep watching it in dub. take high school of the dead for example. i first watched it in subs of cores, and now that they are dubbing it. i tried to watch the first ep but it bothered me to no end lol.

It depends . . .

I try to watch dub 1st if it exsits. When a dub comes out for a sub I already like, sometimes I don't like the new English voices. For example, I don't care for the English dubbing, and perfer the original Japanese like for Soul Eater or Bleach. Then there's some that I perfer dub like DBZ, Air Gear, YuYu Hakusho and Samurai Champloo. There's also some where I like both equally and It won't matter to me which I watch like Kenichi or Death Note.

I don't pay attention to the language... I understand Japanese, as well as English. If it's playing I'll watch it either way. But sometimes I just want to listen to some English to remind myself that I'm not in Okinawa anymore :\ So I can talk to people afterwards of course.

I will scour the internet looking for the English-Dub version of an anime before I will watch it in Japanese. But i prefer to watch the anime than take the time to read what they say.Of coarse most of the anime I've come across the words are usually moving to fast to try and read without pausing it.