Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

Japanese, subbed. Are way better then dubs. I've watched so many, at some point you just get used to the language, and enjoy it a lot more then some lame voice over. A lot of series aren't really dubbed either.

Watching in Japanese is just a whole different sensation, more emotion, better everything if you ask me.

i love it either, the thing that i dont love about dubs is that most of the real script in manga / the original japanese voice are changed..

i watched naruto the first original 220 episodes and i noticed that most of the scripts from the original one are changed

i did not even head a single word of alcohol / sake.. and most of the blood are gone.

subs or dubs i consider it worth watching that's why i have both of the files.

Japanese, subbed. Are way better then dubs. I've watched so many, at some point you just get used to the language, and enjoy it a lot more then some lame voice over. A lot of series aren't really dubbed either.

Watching in Japanese is just a whole different sensation, more emotion, better everything if you ask me.

You can't honestly say every single sub is better than any dub, or that every single dub is better than any sub. It depends on the series, but I've heard a lot of horrible subbed shows. For instance, Yuyu Hakusho is so much better dubbed. Dragon Ball Z dub was not the best, but the characters at least seem to sound to fit the character way better than the subs as well.

I watch a lot of dubs, and I watch a lot of subs, mostly subs though because so much more is subbed that hasn't been dubbed. Each show that has both a dub and a sub, I check out the dub first to see if I like it, if not I switch and watch the subs. That said, I only buy dvd's if I like the dub track, I will not buy them to watch subtitled, for that I stick to fansubs.

I prefer dubs because if I use subs then I end up missing the interaction on the screen and rewinding back so I can watch it again and not miss anything. My friend though prefers subs, because she doesn't like the way the dubs translate to japanese (she quotes naruto's 'believe it' as an example). We've had a number of debates about it.

My friend though prefers subs, because she doesn't like the way the dubs translate to japanese (she quotes naruto's 'believe it' as an example). We've had a number of debates about it.

I'm like that, but the other way around. When watching a fan sub I am always worried they are mistranslating words in the show, because overall a fan sub is less professional than a studio dub.

But then their are Shonen shows like Naruto and others that feel like they need to change the dub up to make it sound more Americanized, and I hate that with a passion... but as long as I am watching something that's dubbed that's not shonen or meant for kids, I'm usually more confident in a dub than a sub.

This is a tough one since I prefer the original voice since the actors seem to put more effort into the character but the dub ones are easier for me to enjoy the anime and I don't have to read them. I wouldn't mind having both so when I am lazy I will usually watch the dubbed ones. But overall I want original, so which ever its suppose to be is always the best for me.

To me it depends on the voice of the character. For example the guy who does ichigo in bleach has a strong and confident voice, which matches ichigos persona. That's also true in the anime, both voices seam very alike. Now compare that to the Tenchi Muyo searies where Ryoko voice was hot, sexy, and independent, and at the last episode's it turned into an annoying blonde voice. Completely ruined the anime for me but i still watch it. I've been watching this anime since i was 7 years old. Yoou will see what i mean when you watch the Tenchi Muyo Series.

I love both too...!!!

But in many cases the dubbed voices fit's the character much better then the Japanese

voices do...!

Even dubbed in German the voices represent the characters much better then the Japanese.

I still love to watch Naruto Shippuuden and Bleach every week as subbed version...

, because the stories are so strong and I can't wait year's for the dubbed ones.

I think that the Japanese voices are the weakest part of their excellent animes...

I like them both but they're cons on both of them. Like how in the subbed version I looked down to read it and I miss something funny or important that happens. And the dubbed version may have terrible VAs thank goodness their are some with very talented ones like in Soul Eater and Ouran or even Naruto. But like what ari_88 said it's tiring hearing the same VA like Johnny Young Bosch.

I think that dubbed ,although easier to watch, can never truly be considered anime. Although it may have the same name and characters, it often lacks in the story that the subbed versions wouldn't leave out.

I sincerely disagree. maybe if you are talking about anime from the 80's or shonen then you are correct but almost all dubbing studios now have taken notice that anime viewers don't want the storyline touched at all.

I have seen many series dubbed and subbed, many times the only thing different from the sub to dub is that the words are rearranged to make more sense in English.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to only watch subs when it's of a manga I really like and it hasn't been dubbed yet (like FMA:B). If it's available in a dub, I watch it. Subtitles can get annoying sometimes. When I watched FMA:B (dub), I noticed things I had missed while reading the subtitles.

For myself, I am good with either, but if forced to pick one for myself I would have to say subbed wins out over dubbed (for my wife it is the opposite). I am fortunate enough to be a very rapid reader so reading subtitles while following the action of the screen is not a problem for me (my wife alas is not so fortunate, which is why she prefers the dubs herself), and I like hearing the original emotional contexts in the original language as much as possible, I find it adds to my enjoyment. This is especially true once I have gained some feel/understanding of the culture involved and can follow some of the culture specific humour and slang references. I will admit though if I was not able to read as easily and swiftly as well I would suspect I would tend to prefer dubs for reasons others have already mentioned, especially the detraction factor it can cause.

As to which is better in general, as others have sad there is no absolute rule of thumb one can use, I have encountered really crappy subs, really crappy dubs, either of which significantly degraded the ability to understand and/or enjoy the subject material. I've always been really happy when I can choose between the two options whenever available, that way I get the best of both worlds instead of the worst overall. So I would say this is one that is inherently a subjective standard and not one that can be decided in anything resembling an objective manner, between the way both can have good and bad examples combined with the inherent differences in abilities of each watcher I can't see how it could be any other way myself.

If there is a Dub i watch that , mainly because it means i dont have to focus on the subtitles and in turn i can view the anime as intended by focusing on the centre rather than the bottom. Also it means if i need to look at something other than the tv for a few seconds or even a minute or two , as long as i can hear what is being said i dont lose touch with the story etc etc.

And while i agree there are some bad dubs out there i think that most dubs, say about 85% are more than watchable.

the thing with me when it comes to anime is that technically speaking regardless of where you lie on the spectrum of sub vs dub, in the end all anime is dubbed! the emotions are drawn, the only thing that a voice actor does is, duh, use their voice to act. so as long as the voice acting is good, i will always prefer the eng dub to the jap dub, period.

also, its nice to be able to turn my head and still know whats going on with whatver anime i am watching ;)