Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

Really it just depends on which is available to me, and which I get used to first. Once I see the anime series one way, I would rather stick with it rather then switch to the other.

This is my thoughts on dubbed or subbed anime. Series that I can only get subbed, I watch subbed because there's too many great animes out there to miss just because there isn't a dub. Pandora Hearts comes to mind for me. Vampire Knight is another anime I watched subbed and after watching it subbed, I really couldn't stand some of the voice actors they chose for the dubbed series. Doesn't mean I didn't end up buying the series once it came out, just means I still enjoy my fansubbed releases. But on the other hand, I could watch Black Butler in either subbed or dubbed. Naruto and Bleach are two others I tend to like watching dubbed but will watch subbed just to see new episodes. Once I get used to the voices of the characters it's hard for me to switch unless I start from the beginning.

I like both subbed and Dubbed.

Dragonball/Z/GT, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Death Note, Claymore and Ranma are some of my preferred Dubs

Sailor Moon, Bleach are a couple of my preferred Subs

Most of my Subbed stuff are for animes that haven't been released in english, such as Strawberry Panic, 07 Ghost etc.

Just stating my opinion here (aren't we all?), but I personally prefer dubs. Why you ask?

1. I don't have to tear my eyes away from what's happening to read what someone just said.

2. I've grown to love a lot of the voice actors (and their voices) prominent in English dubs.

3. I just prefer watching something in my native language.

However, I will prefer the sub over the dub when the dub is absolutely awful (I'm looking at you 4kids...). But most of the anime I have seen that was not dubbed by 4kids has been thoroughly enjoyable for me. Although I greatly dislike the time it takes for dubs to be released.

Still, if given the choice, personally I would watch dubs.

Really it just depends on which is available to me, and which I get used to first. Once I see the anime series one way, I would rather stick with it rather then switch to the other.

This is my thoughts on dubbed or subbed anime. Series that I can only get subbed, I watch subbed because there's too many great animes out there to miss just because there isn't a dub. Pandora Hearts comes to mind for me. Vampire Knight is another anime I watched subbed and after watching it subbed, I really couldn't stand some of the voice actors they chose for the dubbed series. Doesn't mean I didn't end up buying the series once it came out, just means I still enjoy my fansubbed releases. But on the other hand, I could watch Black Butler in either subbed or dubbed. Naruto and Bleach are two others I tend to like watching dubbed but will watch subbed just to see new episodes. Once I get used to the voices of the characters it's hard for me to switch unless I start from the beginning.

In a nut shell these are my thoughts also, I just choose to not start watching the anime Freezing due to the fact that I learnt the dubbed version was coming out soon. This has happened on a few occasions were I have gone to watch a subbed anime only to learn a dubbed version is coming out so I put it off. One anime I did not do this for was Onegai Twins but I still enjoyed is subbed and have no regrets. Still I prefer dubbed but don't mind subbed one bit.

• Like 1

I think it's up to everyone how they watch a show, the original japanese version with English subs is alright for some, personally for me I would never want to read all the subtitles and watch a show in a language that I'm not fluent in, I prefer to watch it in English, I don't like all the Sub vs Dub arguements as there is valid points for both sides and then there is always a counter arguement. Like the whole Japanese Voices is the way it was meant to be seen, when I'm sure the original idea wasn't that half of the screen would have writing on destroying artwork.

Personally for me it isn't one way or the other, for some anime I prefer the English dubbing and visa-versa. Such as with Rurouni Kenshin, the English dubbing voices were horrible (or maybe because I'm use to the Japanese? Anyway I seem to prefer most of the anime with the Japanese version as the voices tend to show more emotion, etc..

How about you?

I'm much the same. I dont get hung up one way or the other. I've watched Gundam 00 both ways multiple times.

I will say that I do like dub when there is a lot of fast paced action or unusually detailed artwork as I can appriciate it better, but then again I re-watch stuff a lot and sometimes it gets to the point with subs that I'm not even reading anymore.

Personally I just prefer the dubs because I don't need to read the whole time. Most people will say that subs are better due to the Japanese voice acting being better and that I can understand, but it lacks the humor that you'll get from dubs. Also I really don't think dubs are as bad as some people say. There might be some that aren't so good but I have heard some awful Japanese voices when comparing them to English... so it does depend but I'm all for dubs.

Subs! While I think I'm out numbered here you have to understand that 9 out of 10 animes are translated badly to fit the timing of the mouths. They also remove many jokes, phrases and japanese cultural references that I find I thoroughly enjoy. Also because I am learning the language it helps me build my vocabulary in the language.