Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

i prefer to have the anime in japanese and english subs for the mothing and timing is made for japanese not english words, i have found a few spots in som e anime where the words are still comeing and the month is closed shut a while. and also when its in japanes you sortof feel the rawness of the anime and feel the true meaning of what has been said, the power of words are amazing

I suprised to see english dubbing in the lead. I am a dub fan, from the classic horrible dubs of 10 years ago, to modern day good ones.

I speak english so I watch english. Its mostly that simple, but also I think that modern day english dubs are just done better than japanese ones. For one, the are localized, so you know, the jokes make sence. For 2, I hate japanese anime girls voices, they give me a headache. And three, I think most english dub actors are better than japanese ones. Well honestly, I cant really tell if a japanese voice actor is good or not. They could be terrible, but it all sounds the same to me.

frankly speaking if i did no japanese i wud prefer the original version.. but wen watching the subbed version i tend to concentrate too much on the subs to even watch the anime.. wich is kinda frustrating for me.. which is y i prefer the dubbed version.. though certain dubbed anime can be pretty bad compared to a original voiceover. anyway.. i stil prefer dubb to sub.. i can enjy the anime more that way.. :D

I would have to side with english dubbing being it is my native tongue down here in australia. I also find that when reading subtitles I tend to sometimes miss details in scenes, probably cause im a slow reader, so its just easier and im able to enjoy the anime. Though sometimes the english voices are qutie horrible especially when they are brittish.

it really doesn't bother me to watch a series subbed or dubbed ,I'm not distracted by having to read the subs and keep the ongoing screen action together as one..... there are times that a dubbed version is over all a bit more exciting than the original subbed versions ...eg: "Hellsing" .... the cursing and swearing is very much better and more natural than the Japanese version ... then again if you have watched "mirage of blaze" dubbed you'll swear your ears bleed from annoying voice-overs and general awkward dialogue ....

For me it is not really a question of Dub Vs Sub it is a question of who is doing the Dub's or the Sub's. I use to watch some of the Dub's done by the Dattebayo group and they made it a habit of translating anything(signs, text on the screen, ect) in Naruto into english which made it nice and easy to understand what was going on. They would also leave translation notes at the top of the screen for a second or two that would explain jokes or a play on words that viewers in other countries might not get. I picked up Shonen Jump's first box set of Naruto and the only thing they translated was what the characters were saying. Nothing further then that it was depressing and I have not picked up anything else for that series since then.

So the deciding factor for me I guess comes down to the quality of producers.

Some anime's are good with english dubbing and some aren't due to poor dubbing or just not fitting it right, I personally find that if i have seen an anime with english dubbing and some of it (a special movie etc) is not available in the english dub I find it odd and takes away from the whole experience, thats why I have started checking if all aspects of a series are available in english or if they are not, if they aren't I will generally watch it subbed.

• 2 months later...

my personal preference would be dubs, the only times i will watch subs is if the series is on-going or never had a dub. but there are series that have dubs which are certainly bad such as eflen lied were subs are preferred though i still forced myself to watch the dub due to the fact i was to lazy to read the subs xD.

Edited by hagi