Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

I honestly like them both a lot.

For dubs, I feel like usually the translators will do a better job of bringing across humor by making it easier for me to relate to, but often the voice actors are not very good compared to their subbed version, though this isn't always true.

Subs are decent too, and are the way that they were originally made. The main downside with subs for me is that I cannot recognize the subtle changes in Japanese voice actor's tones that I can hear in a dub, but since dubs don't always put those in anyway it's not always a real downside.

When starting a new anime, generally I'll watch the first couple eps in both versions, since it really is a case-by-case choice for me.

I refuse to watch anything lacking English dub. Usually I watch anime while I do school work or I work on personal artwork, so I don't feel like watching something I can't understand nor read the subtitles while i'm working.

I've been considering subbed fairy tail mainly because I only have 14(?) episodes that are horrible in terms of the audio lagging behind the video. It doesn't seem like the rest of the episodes are coming soon anyways.

I didn't vote in your thingamajigger cause the option I want isn't available.

I would say both. Since I speak fluent Japanese, having an English dub isn't important to me.

But it's fun to watch animes in English just to see the difference between them. Watching an anime in it's native language is half the enjoyment.

I prefer the dubs because I can understand them because I'm a dub english person XD

But I agree with your point of getting used to a series in a certain language. Example: I can only watch the Japanese version of Vampire Knight because I'm used to it, plus the dub is pretty awful (in my opinion).

I prefer dubbed because if the translation is nearly spot on, why wouldn't you watch it in your native language?! Constantly reading subtitles ruins the overall feel... for me anyway. You tend to overlook the expressions, body movements, etc.

The only thing that makes sense for me to watched subbed is anything dubbed by 4kids.

• 3 weeks later...

I always prefer English Audio.. I only wach the jap ones, when there is no dubbed version.x.D

About emotions and stuff, if its really well dubbed, its even better than the jap version..

Look at Code Geass, and Eureka Seven, those are the best dubbed animes I've seen so far.. i tried the jap versions of them, but i couldn't pass from episode 1..xD

I watch both versions if I can, then when I re-watch, I go with the one that I liked better, unless I feel like watching the other one. Some stuff works better one way or the other, and sometimes, a localization can be better. Personally, I multitask a lot, so watching dubbed lets me at least get some audial stimulation while doing my work at college, so I tend to watch anime more that way for now.

alot depends on who produced the orginal anime and which one did the english voices.

ive watched some japanese anime where the voices blended into a continuous blur (male and female characters ended up sounding so similar) and some where the voices were fitting to the characters and show. with the dual audio being available for most new dvd/bluray it lets you decide , some series benefitted from an english sound, others weren't as lucky , it all depends on who does them and which voice actors are used in the end

I exclusively watch dubs. For some reason I just can't stand subs. I just feel that the constant reading takes too much away from the experience of watching an anime and I can't get into it as much. Plus it's harder for me to appreciate the art if I'm constantly looking at the bottom of the screen reading the subtitles. Plus, sometimes Japanese voices are so irritating, having said that, there are some insanely annoying English voices as well.

I, myself prefer english audio , my son the japanese audio.

out of the 140 odd series i have on my HD at the moment about 8 are eng subbed as there isnt a english/dual audio version around, the rest are all dual audio.

But i will watch subbed if its interesting enough and look for dual later :)

slowly working through my sons HD of anime that arent dual audio yet :(

It really depends in my opinion, but usually for the well-known animes like Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi Suzuimya I always go english dubbed :] but with lesser known animes I tend to sometimes choose Japanese Dub, but it really depends on the voice actors, if i don't see any ones that I know of, then I watch it in Japanese :] the only exceptions that I will always watch it in English Dub is that if - Johnny Yong Bosch or Crispin Freeman are in it, or if its the gundam series, no matter what I always try and watch that in English dub if its available :]