Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

Definitely original audio w/ subtitles. The original voice actors tend to be chosen with great care, and these people in turn try to portray complex emotions to up production values.

Voice actors for foreign language dubs (English in this case) all seem to just want to get things over with and often have really one-dimensional tones. Absolutely kills the anime.

Yes, the first way I see it is usually the first way I want it. However, there are exceptions. I prefer the one with the better [voice] acting and emotional expression. It helps if the voices are really unique and characteristic, and I can already recognize the voices of my favorite voice actors on the spot, just from the sound of the voice, although sometimes I am very surprised by the range of voices possible from just one person. Take the English dubbing voice for Robin in Witch Hunter Robin ... I bet you would never have guessed some of the characters she's voiced.

Well, I usually like subs because they are more accurate and you can see what the original script intended to do. Also, for the majority, Japanese voice casting is spot on and the charcter really comes out through their words while English voice casting makes everyone sound obnoxious to me.

I only ever prefer dubs if the original cast doesn't cut it somehow. This is mostly when the anime takes place in a very western setting and the way they pronounce names and the use of the Japanese honorifics makes everything quite strange. (For me, the English dub of Monster was much better than the original Japanese one.)

Alright, if it's only available in subbed format I gladly watch it, if it's in both, I watch dub merely because I enjoy the artwork, once I've seen the series once or twice I usually watch it subbed from then on. I did that with Bleach (partially because the dub became piss poor real quick) and now I do it with Death Note.

It certainly depends on the anime, and as you've said, the quality of the dub. I can appreciate a good dub, and it becomes less distracting from the action if I don't have to read while watching. However, subs will often provide useful information about characters I wouldn't recognize (language characters not person characters), and can provide really crucial information at times. Ultimately, I find that subs provide a more in depth experience, but I prefer dubs for casual watching.

I dont see how some one could choose subbed over dubbed i do understand how some dubbed anime some of the VA are not that good but on less if you understand Japanese i dont see how someone could choose subbed over dubbed. but that is my opinion.

I do watch all on going anime in subbed because it is further than the dubbed.

~And i also do not like to get distracted from the animation~

I always try and get my anime in dual if its possible then i decide weather or not the dub or sub is better and then if i liked the anime and go for a re-watch i'll watch it on the other audio so i get to fully explore the anime on both dub and sub and also it just makes it feel more complete when i have it in dual.