Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

I personally prefer Dubs, if there is a dub of the anime and is finished dubbing or it has been dubbed pretty far into the anime I will watch the dub. Also I prefer dub's for the long running animes like Naruto, Bleach etc.'

For short running animes that are not dubbed or aren't very far with the dubbed version I a very happy to stick with subs. And as koby stated most subs are better than dubs, with the amount of effort the japs put in its no surprise.

i prefer English cause most subs are fan done and may not be too accurate there are some official ones though but i prefer dub cause you can miss the subtitles if they go by too fast or there are too many people talking but sub only if its the only way or the English was never released in uncut format like a lot of good anime form the 90s were never released on home video

For me it's dubbed. Most of the people I know that watch anime refuse to watch them dubbed, but for me, I've been watching them dubbed for so long that I'm used to the voice actors, eg Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum etc.

Live action I can't stand dubbed, but anime, doesn't lessen the enjoyment in the slightest.

I prefer watching any anime English Dub. However, sometimes the acting sounds better in japanese. For example, the english voice actor for Ichigo is great when he's just talking, but his battle cries are just awful. Seriously, and they aren't getting any better. They sound so fake. The japanese actor does it better.

Sometimes english dub version seems out of place than with japanese dub. Depending on the series i'm watching, if i started watching the series with eng dub, then i get used to the sound of their voices throughout the series and the japanese voices would be out of place if i started using eng dub later on. If i watch japanese dub for the first few episodes, then i switch to eng dub, then it the eng dub seems horrible to me. Get what i'm saying?

I voted on this poll a while back and forgot to add a post so here goes.

I prefer english dubbing just because I would love to watch in Japanese dubbing but I want to be able to understand without subtitles, subtitles seem to spoil the anime for me a bit probably because I'm focusing on the subtitles instead of the anime itself. Luckily I'll be starting Japanese lessons soon so maybe in a year I'll be able to watch all my anime in Japanese =).

Sometimes Dub and sometimes Japanese but i like dub better cuz i dont like straining my eyes to see the text xD

This is why I like dub, you stray to much from the action to read what they are saying. With dub you can watch and keep up with the plot without the need to read the texts that sometimes only appear for a few seconds.

I personally prefer the Japanese voice actors, they seem to contain more expression and better environmental effects (echoes etc) if you watch the Japanese and English versions of Fullmetal Panic, the Japanese voice actor for Sagara is general quite snappy and blunt with a level of order in his voice, whereas the English dubbed version sounds sloppy with an ill-fitting voice and often sounds like its been recorded in someones bathtub.

Perhaps it has something to do with anime being less popular in native English speakers than it is in Japan and so recieves a tiny budget with which to do it, though any dub by Funimation seems pretty well done, even if voice actors are heavily recycled.

I also find that they miss some of the original dialog, which itself could be wrong in the subtitling, but even so, it still seems very dumbed down.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Your peripheral vision, though, is not as good as directly seeing it. With peripheral vision you only see part of it and even then, most normal people don't really notice anything that they should have been able to see had they actually been watching directly. If everyone relied on peripheral vision, there would be no need for such a high quality video like Blu_ray or a rip from a Blu-Ray source. The reason why people like that quality so well is because they like seeing the finer details, which cannot be achieved by focusing on reading while watching with peripheral vision.