Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

I'm partial to both but it usually depends on the quality of the subtitles. Sometimes it just doesn't look right. My old TV had the ability to alter how they were shown on screen but my new one doesn't. For the most part I watch English dubbed stuff now purely because it's the first track on the disc. If there's a series that doesn't seem to have an English dub then I'll watch it in Japanese.

I like english dubbed anime most,but if there is a good show that's only subbed i don't mind it.Also between bad voice acting(dubbed) and Japanesse subbed I prefer Subbed. I have watched death note,black lagoon ....dubbed becouse the voice acting was pretty good but for some others I switched on subbed.Some of the animes that I have watched subbed are Deadman Wonderland,Kaiji,Fairy tales and Ao no Exorcist and they were excellent.

i like listening to japanese audio because it's a beautiful language but i generally want to understand complex anime story-lines and i don't speak or understand japanese language so mostly english dubbing. last time i listened to japanese audio is when i bout and watched vexille because could find the english audio in the menu.

I prefer Japanese dub, unless the English dub somehow did a good job with the voices. The only time I really watch English Dub now is whenever I play an anime in the morning to watch and I can multitask while getting ready and not have to read the subtitles. But I like how the Japanese voices sound and their emotion is usually better than the English dub.

i usally like the Japanese with english subtitles but more recently i changed to more english dubbed due to the fact i like to be able to do things while im watching it. but when it comes to Bleach i watch it in Japanese with english subtitles because i like to keep up to date with it. but Naruto and Naruto Shippuden i have been going for the english cause i dont mind as much being behind but hey maybe one day that will change you just never know.

Haylie Myers

I watch both dubbed and subbed anime. I honestly say that for bleach, the English voice are better. In the Japanese version, Toshiro is voiced by a girl! And Toshiro is voiced by a man in the English dub. Orihime's voice is high and squeaky in Japanese while Orihime sounds like a delicate lady in the English dub. The only person which i prefer in Japanese is Hollow Ichigo because they use a different auto-tune thingy for him than the English one.

I prefer the Japanese over the English voice overs but in some cases the English voices overs are funnier xD. Like in Angel Beats ep 2. When they were hanging over the edge, in the Jap version when one of them fell it only said Idiot, but in the Eng, it said "Ahhhhh, you bi*&T"

*Forgot I was in Bleach sub forum* Prefer Jap in Bleach over Eng and sorry for off-topic :P

It all depends on which one you start with. I started bleach in english and it took me a whole month to get used to jap from episode 70 onwards

now I'm not very familiar with the english dub when I watch it, but I hate when people say one's better than the other

I agree with Rawrhil, i started on dub, and you learn the characters voices, so when you try the sub'd version it sound off. on the other side of the argument, i personally think that the Japanese voice acting on average has better emotion, but that depends on the show. naruto has awful English voice acting, but bleach has rather good voice acting. i watch dub out of convenience because i watch on a tiny screen.

Actually, both the voices sound good for this one. After the dubs ended i had to switch to subs, but I actually prefer dub though. i think the voices are perfect for it :) Subs are really good too, except for Captain Hitsuguya. Dub is way better sounding for that guy. Honestly, you could watch it in either one and you'd be fine.

For me, I'd prefer subs over dubs. There are only a couple of animes that I will watch with dubs. It really depends on the anime. Watching subs takes some getting used to, but after a while it's not too difficult to read the words and look at the screen at the same time. you still get the effect as if you were watching the show without the words at all.

English Dub all the way! Favorite anime is DBZ and I would always prefer the English version to the Japanese version any day. I don't know about any of you, but I speak English. If I knew Japanese, then of course I would watch the original Japanese dub. The only problem with English dub is that its sooooo slooooow (as in production of episodes). I just wish that the English dubs of some series would speed up (Naruto Shippuden) and try to catch up to the Japanese version or to at least to the manga (like Bleach).

No matter how much I run away from this topic, I always seem to find it everywhere. It's a famous question, I guess. Anyways, I, for one, like both and appreciate both. I don't bind myself with only one; if there's good english dubs available (Black Lagoon) then I tend to attract towards them but if the english dubs suck (Tears to Tiara), I watch the subbed ones. It's that simple. I also don't bind myself when I find something interesting and only subs are available for it, I definitely download the better fansubs and watch the anime. I think people who only devote themselves to english dubs are quite stupid. Reason? Well, for one, if you're like that then you're gonna miss a lot of anime shit, which are most likely not gonna be dubbed (Kara no Kyoukai) or may get dubbed but real late, plus there's also the case of second, third seasons not being dubbed like in Shakugan no Shana and Higurashi.

I usually like to hear the original dubbing with english subs. because to me you can feel more of the emotion from the original language, sometimes when they do english conversions it looses something, i like my chinese theater also that way.

• 3 weeks later...