Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

• 3 weeks later...

As long as the English dub is done well I prefer that as I think being able to understand what they are saying and the tone of their voices gives the characters more ...character. I can happily watch subbed stuff, but prefer to be able to take in the visuals without having to speed read.

Its a bit odd as I really can't stand dubbing on Live action films!

Well, considering on what language you speak, it depends on if you are able to understand waht the voices are saying if it is in a different language. I prefer English dub rather than Japanese Sub/Dub until I finish learning how to understand and speak Japanese. So really, it depends on the person. :)

For me, Japanese voices all sound the same for me. Just like Bleach, in Vampire Knight, Yuki's voice sounds too grown up for a 15 year old. I prefer the English Dub better. Bleach's voices are much better dubbed in English.

I perfer Japanese audio. I usually perfer to try the dubbing for animes first, but for some reason I can't stand the English voices for Bleach. I guess it depends on what you grow comfortable with. Also following the original audio will get the viewer up to date on the episodes. For most ongoing series, I try the Japanese voices first so I'm up to date. For completed series I usually try English dubbing first.

• 2 weeks later...

Dubs, reason? for the fact that i can feel the emotion and tension between characters like clanned after story i don't think i would of cried if i saw it in subbed i wouldn't of got it and i would of just read it, i mean i really hate where people just rip of dubs saying it isn't original voice or something dumb like that. i mean if you don't understand what there saying then why not read the manga instead?

I'd rather watch it in Dubbed but if the voice over is crappy then I have no problem whatsoever watching subbed. One example is Naruto Shippuden, God it was bad enough that Naruto was on Cartoon Network but I can't stand that Shippuden (which has blood and cursing) is aired on Disney XD. Ugh, Fairy Tail is another one, absolutely hate the voice over.

yeah, japanese dub is better for sure... but I tried watching many episodes in japanese and couldn't stand the fact, that I miss some important moments because of all the reading... english is not my main language so it's hard from time to time to get some tactical or political expressions in action based animes, plus the Subs are disappearing to fast sometimes... so I stick to eng dub^^

My sons introduced me to the series and the first lot we watched were in Japanese. We don't understand Japanese but we enjoyed watching it.

Then, I found this website and got the English dubs. I enjoyed them because I found it too difficult to keep up with the English sub-titles. But my said they liked the Japanese version because they figured that they could learn Japanese at the same time! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I like both subbed and dubbed. It all depends on which I get to first because I prefer to keep it the same throughout an anime. But I prefer dubbed, despite bad dubs, only because I want to pay more attention to the story rather than concentrate on reading subtitles before they go away. So until I can learn Japanese, I try to stick to dubbed.

Good to see other people enjoy the English dubs more. I just recently started watching anime and thought that the community considered anything besides Subs+Japanese audio was taboo.

Most sites seem to be under the mentality that if you watch dubs you aren't a true anime fan and you suck for not watching the 'original'. I'm glad this site isn't that way at all. It's quite the opposite here. The majority of us just like Anime because it's worth watching. It doesn't matter whether it's Japanese or English Dub as long as it sounds good and the story is appealing and that is the way a true fan should be.

You have to go with english dub even if its bad every single anime show i've tried to watch in japanese has been horrible every single voice sounds the same its like they got the same little japanese adolescent girl to do every voice and just change the tone a little. Japanese voices just give me a headache but even if it is awesome anime like Bleach, Naruto, or Samurai 7 I get a headache every time

I only answered Eng Dub b/c the choices don't allow Japanese w/subs. I don't understand Japanese so I need subs or dubs..... I'll take em anyway I can get 'em. Especially Macross!

The very first option says Japanese with and without subs. So you should have chosen it.

ENGLISH DUBBING ALL THE WAY!!! -I love the english dubbed version of Naruto of coarse, but I do have to admit that there's some horrible english dubs out there! LOL... like Angel Sanctuary's... it's horrible!!! The only absolute good voice was Crispin Freeman's... XD He's so awsome!!! ...he plays Itachi in Naruto!!! ^.^ love him. Bleach is better in english too... But! Regarding Code Geass and Death Note... I would have to say that they're equals. Though, I naturally like all english dubs rather than the original Japanese versions... so dub always is a win for me no matter what. ^.^

Japanese subbed in english... i think that when you dubbed a serie (no matter if the dubb is good or not), you loose some interest in the anime (for exemple the intonation of the character's voice when he is facing a danger, or when he is intrigated or surprised...). and after watching several animes your eyes become trained enough to be able to both read the subs and watch the image...

I first started watching anime in Chinese!! Hehe that was my only option back then. But now I always watch in original Japanese dub. I am not sure about the others, but the conversations and meanings in English dub can vary from the Japanese version. So I want to stick with watching what the story creator wanted to convey.

P.S. It has helped me understand Japanese.........a little...