Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

Personally, I never watch anime subbed unless I don't have an alternative. I'll even sometimes pass on the anime if I cannot find a dubbed version.

Dubbed versions are easier to watch making them more enjoyable (imo).

But more importantly, most of the anime I like does not take place in Japan which makes the Japanese voices sound out of character for me (I just cannot imagine Sir Integra Wingates Hellsing with a Japanese voice). :D

I would usually prefer the subs, (some good anime probably won't ever get dubbed anyway). Soul Eater however, had good voice acting and the voices were more bearable. I like Maaya Sakamoto's songs but I didn't like her voice for Crona. Shuffle! is also another exception. The voice acting wasn't the greatest but the jokes were better in english. Eg. Kaede's groupies are called 'Kitto, Kitto Kaede' in the original dub but in english they changed it into the 'Knights, of Kissy Kaede' the latter being somewhat more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, why does this topic seem so familiar? Well to elaborate my last answer on a similar topic, if the dub is well done, which happens oh so rarely unless it's done by Funimation and Media Blasters I'll watch it I don't really mind if the dub changes the experience a bit either eg. DBZ and D gray man, as long as it's done well and sticks to the story I consider this to be a plus, but of course 90% of the time I'll find myself watching Japanese, since like I said, Good english dubs are a rarity for me.

First, thank you for referring to it as Japenese dub! All anime is "dubbed", little pet peeve of mine when its the "sub vs dub" argument. That being said, if its dubbed in English (or is being dubbed and will come out soon) Ill almost always go with that over the Japanese, just cause hey, I speak English and its nice to be able to turn my head sometimes and still know whats going on in the show.

For me it really just depends on the anime... If the voice acting is terrible in english then I usually tend to watch it in japanese. I watched all of naruto shippuden in japanese so it was really weird to watch the english version of it. I'd prefer the english version of dbz over the japanese version though... it was the first anime that I watch way back when I was in elementary school, so I guess it kind of just stuck with me through out the years XD.

• 2 weeks later...

Though sub quality is much better, I prefer dubs. Purists go nuts on me, but I often feel like the liberties that the dubs take make more sense than what subbers usually do. Often when I read subtitles, it seems like the subbers are trying to authentically translate what is being said rather than make what is being said seem realistic. Sometimes this makes the flow of a show hard to relate to on a personal level or confusing. I find it hard to be engrossed when it seems like the characters are talking in such a strange and flowery way. I feel like when companies dub a series, they also end up tweaking the language to make a show make more sense to western audiences..or at least make the conversations seem more realistic.

For me it's pretty simple. If they have a dub, and it's easy to find online or whatever, then I'll watch the dub. If not, then I'll watch the subs. Oh, and also if the english voices suck, then I'll go to the subs.

I mean, I'm used to the whole looking down at the subs while watching thing, but I still rather not having to read while watching.

Yeah, for me it all depends on the quality of the english Dubbed. Some are really bad that I will go and watch the subbed, the good ones though I'll take dubbed cause I prefer to be able to watch and not have to pay to much attention to reading words while watching it. Plus sometimes the subs move way to fast for my poor eye to keep up with it!

I personally like japanese audio. As others said there is a emotional attachment to most series. It makes it more enjoyable to watch. But series like dragon ball i cant stand to watch in japanese. There just isnt a good amount of english voice acting out there. I must admit as time goes on english dubbing seems to be getting better. Maybe more companies will bring more quality dubbing to the anime scene in the future but for now my first way of watching a series is in japanese and then i might try a dub just to see what it feels like. Its such a debatable subject but i think everybody pretty much agrees on the same things.

wow, it is surprising to me that more people are voting for dubs over subs, most of the people I know get on my case because I watch dubs. The older generations of anime fans used to look at dubs as a joke, but dubbing in the US has really come along way.

Personally for me it isn't one way or the other, for some anime I prefer the English dubbing and visa-versa. Such as with Rurouni Kenshin, the English dubbing voices were horrible (or maybe because I'm use to the Japanese? Anyway I seem to prefer most of the anime with the Japanese version as the voices tend to show more emotion, etc..

Really it just depends on which is available to me, and which I get used to first. Once I see the anime series one way, I would rather stick with it rather then switch to the other.

How about you?

I prefer english dub, because I understand it better and can keep up with it, but the only way I like the Japanese with english subtiles, is when there is a great deal of action. The only anime Japanese with english subtiles that I liked was GO, when i watch it in english dub, the voice didn't match the charactor. The voice has to match the charactor whether in english or japanese. essie2001

wow, it is surprising to me that more people are voting for dubs over subs, most of the people I know get on my case because I watch dubs. The older generations of anime fans used to look at dubs as a joke, but dubbing in the US has really come along way.

Most Anime fans watch subtitled Anime only. It just so happens because of English Dub Kingdom that the majority of the visitors and members to this forum are dub fans. ^.^ Which is rather unique to find a community like that. Most dub fans are ran into the ground at other communities for admitting they like the dub, but not here at Kametsu where it's a haven for dub fans.

Depends on the anime. I have heard some terrible dubbings though.

For example, Shakugan no Shana season 1 dubbing was awesome. Then, Animax-Asia took over dubbing and ruined season 2 with their voice overs.

Personally, if I watch an anime dubbed first, it's hard to watch it again or continue it subbed. But that's just me.

I like both... Though, sometimes I like dubbing because I can focus on the artwork more than reading... And, sometimes I like subbing more because the Japanese voice actors are much more talented than the American voice actors and have a lot more enthusiasm. ^_^