Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

I personally like Dub for most anime I watch. There are some exceptions of course.. but, I'd say about 95% of anime I watch is dubbed.  To me, when I watch a anime that's Japanese audio, I don't feel the emotion of it as much as I do with English. And the meaning of the intention is lost in translation for me. I know I can read the words like I would a manga, but it just doesn't have the same impact when it's animated and I read.. hard to explain really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm only eng speaking and the least little bit hard of hearing so i'd have to prefer "option -E"  (dual audio with Eng subtitles)   I am totally biased after all  though ><  Admittedly.  I think the jp women voice actors have sexier voices  ,but i base that on the fact that i just cant stand Monica Rial's squealing voice  and shes got a hand in almost all anime english voice acting.  I would rather hear sexy deeper english voices like Chelsea Mccurdy or Carli Mosier.  

On 19.9.2016 at 8:56 AM, LarryG10 said:

I'm only eng speaking and the least little bit hard of hearing so i'd have to prefer "option -E"  (dual audio with Eng subtitles)   I am totally biased after all  though ><  Admittedly.  I think the jp women voice actors have sexier voices  ,but i base that on the fact that i just cant stand Monica Rial's squealing voice  and shes got a hand in almost all anime english voice acting.  I would rather hear sexy deeper english voices like Chelsea Mccurdy or Carli Mosier.  

Problem with "option E" (for me atleast) which is english audio and subtitles at the same time is that the subtitles never match the audio. I have an dual audio release which has hardcoded english subs, and i could'nt stand watching it cus of the deviation from the audio and subtitles. When it comes to (live action)movies, i cant stand having subtitles in my language either tho, but i have no problem with using subtitles for hearing impaired in english, cus the subs says exactly the same as the audio does.

So for the dual audio release i had with hardcoded subs I had to watch it with japanese audio, even tho i prefer dubbed.I almost always prefer dubbed, but there are a few exceptions.

And yeah. Monica Rial is in every freaking anime, but she isn't so bad, it's just there is to much of her voice everywhere xD But I really love Colleen Clinkenbeard's voice :x

19 hours ago, Fishmonster said:

Problem with "option E" (for me atleast) which is english audio and subtitles at the same time is that the subtitles never match the audio. I have an dual audio release which has hardcoded english subs, and i could'nt stand watching it cus of the deviation from the audio and subtitles. When it comes to (live action)movies, i cant stand having subtitles in my language either tho, but i have no problem with using subtitles for hearing impaired in english, cus the subs says exactly the same as the audio does.

So for the dual audio release i had with hardcoded subs I had to watch it with japanese audio, even tho i prefer dubbed.I almost always prefer dubbed, but there are a few exceptions.

And yeah. Monica Rial is in every freaking anime, but she isn't so bad, it's just there is to much of her voice everywhere xD But I really love Colleen Clinkenbeard's voice :x

I stay away from hardcoded if i can. And yeah subtitles are "variably" somewhat off it seems >< ,but I hadn't thought 'word for word' subtitles existed in anime till I seen it recently on a episode of 'canaan' that I incorrectly converted to mp4 with hardcoded subs.  Subtitles are leaving alot to be desired thats for sure.  I always chalk it up as being hard to convey properly so they reword it .

I still think Monica Rial has the most irritating english voice in the biz though lol >_/   Being critical I just think she sounds like miss piggy from ''Jim Henson's" The Muppets " is all !!    I hope that never gets back to her ><   But its soo distracting for me :anger:    

I love  colleen  too and would have to add her to my 'sexy anime  voice ladies'  pedestal  ^^   

• Like 1

On 9/22/2016 at 0:58 AM, LarryG10 said:

I stay away from hardcoded if i can. And yeah subtitles are "variably" somewhat off it seems >< ,but I hadn't thought 'word for word' subtitles existed in anime till I seen it recently on a episode of 'canaan' that I incorrectly converted to mp4 with hardcoded subs.  Subtitles are leaving alot to be desired thats for sure.  I always chalk it up as being hard to convey properly so they reword it .

I still think Monica Rial has the most irritating english voice in the biz though lol >_/   Being critical I just think she sounds like miss piggy from ''Jim Henson's" The Muppets " is all !!    I hope that never gets back to her ><   But its soo distracting for me :anger:    

I love  colleen  too and would have to add her to my 'sexy anime  voice ladies'  pedestal  ^^   

depends on the show, but I think Monica Rial can do pretty well in the right setting. She was great as the title character in Yona of the Dawn, which was a much more natural sounding voice and less on the squeaks. 

5 minutes ago, Catar said:

depends on the show, but I think Monica Rial can do pretty well in the right setting. She was great as the title character in Yona of the Dawn, which was a much more natural sounding voice and less on the squeaks. 

She also has a good sultry voice that I heard on a  ' Okami-san and Her Seven Companions' commentary track,but she never uses it that I know of at all lol  ><  Yeah, I never really noticed it on Yona of the dawn,, But If I do notice on other stuff I just cringe and think ugh her again lol ><    Its just so really bad when her character is in ''freak out or fall apart mode''.  Then its on like donkey kong >_o      I'm just hateful a lil think lol

1 minute ago, LarryG10 said:

She also has a good sultry voice that I heard on a  ' Okami-san and Her Seven Companions' commentary track,but she never uses it that I know of at all lol  ><  Yeah, I never really noticed it on Yona of the dawn,, But If I do notice on other stuff I just cringe and think ugh her again lol ><    Its just so really bad when her character is in ''freak out or fall apart mode''.  Then its on like donkey kong >_o      I'm just hateful a lil think lol

oh. also fantastic on the Ghost Stories dub, where she was basically playing against her type. very well done.

• 3 weeks later...

Primarily I prefer hearing an anime in the original Japanese with subtitles. There are a few exceptions, mostly for nostalgia reasons. Like if I watched the series before I stopped watching English Dubs then I still like to watch the Dub sometimes.

Such as Series like: Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Cardcaptors, Escaflowne, Magic User's Club, Magic Knight Rayearth, Yu-gi-Oh, Pokemon, Unico, and Naussica,, etc..

I can watch those in the English dub all the time but if you shove the English version of Inuyasha in front of me I might scream. I have so many problems with that dub and the Japanese voices are simply stellar. So it depends on the series... but mostly I prefer the original Japanese. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It really depends on what version I hear first.

I heard the Japanese dub for Grimgar before Funimation began dubbing it; as such, I don't want to watch it with the English dub.

On the flip side, I watched Dragonball with the English dub first; I still prefer it in English over the Japanese dub.

• 2 months later...

I generally prefer subtitles nowadays. I'm from Hungary and they used to air some anime here, but A+ which was later renamed to Animax has been dead since like 2012 and no channel airs anime here apart from some re-runs. When I re-watched Kaleido Star because it's good and I didn't remember all of it (back then I didn't keep up with series properly from the beginning to the end, I just watched them whenever I saw them on TV), I watched with the Hungarian dub, though. (Interestingly, A+ even aired the Kaleido Star OVAs on TV here back when it still existed.) I usually watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles now (because I'm good at English and don't necessarily want to wait for a Hungarian translation, and sometimes the translation quality of those is not so good), and other shows in original language with English subtitles (I need the subtitles even for English shows) unless there aren't any English (or Hungarian) subtitles for the series, then I watch the Hungarian dubbed version if there is one.

Dub. Almost always dub.

The only show I remember watching subbed even though I had it dubbed was Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle...

Dub makes it easier to actually watch the show...

Thoughl..honestly, I usually always go with Eng audio + Full Dialogues subs..I Don't know why..

• Like 1