Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

For me, when I start a new series, I first look up which genre it is and perhaps what it is about too in some cases, if the genres don't give enough information. For example, a harem series might just as well be a show about pirates or a zombie apocalypse. In those cases, my preference lingers toward the English dub. Generally speaking, if the show uses themes that suit the American culture better, like One Piece (pirates), I'll pick the English voice-over.

That's at least how I've done things up until now, though often, I tend to be a bit curious about the original or English dub, depending on which version I started out with. So, sometimes, it happens that I watch a certain series mixed, meaning that I watch a part in English and an other in Japanese or I just rewatch the show completely with the other dub.

Like I said, it all depends on the series I'm watching... and besides, if you're someone like me who's studying Japanese, watching a show with the original dub plus English subs is one of the ways to improve your Japanese skills. Anime tends to use a lot of popular expressions, greetings and the like after all, so it's a fine way to try and burn those into your memory.

じゃあね、たぶん

Edited by Luciful

It depends on the acting, the show, and the changes. Here are the most common anime licensors and studios

LICENSORS

4K Media / 4Kids

ADV Films
Animax Asia
AnimEigo
Aniplex of America
Bandai Entertainment
Bandai Visual USA
Central Park Media
Discotek Media
Disney
Funimation
Geneon Entertainment

Gkids

Harmony Gold
Manga Entertainment
Manga UK
Media Blasters

Nelvana

New Video

NIS America
Nozomi Entertainment

Pioneer Entertainment
Pony Canyon USA
Sentai Filmworks
Streamline Pictures

Sony Pictures
Sunrise

Super Techno Arts
Warner Bros
Viz Media

STUDIOS
Animaze / US Renditions
Bang Zoom Entertainment

Intersound, Inc.

NYAV Post
Ocean Group
Salami Studios
Studiopolis

Edited by Badman

I really enjoy Funimation dubs. I usually default to English but if it's not that great I've got no problem with the Japanese. As some other people have mentioned sometimes it's nice to have a dub when you just want to relax your brain while you watch and not have to read subs.

• Like 1

Has to be sub. Overall better feel to emotion scenes. The only exception to this is a certain few series where the dub was worth it.

Action scenes for most are preferred in dub. But once you get used to sub you won't even notice. This is all in my opinion but I'll stand by it. Sub wins overall.

I personally prefer English Dub due to the fact I don't speak Japanese obviously and it sounds natural to me. Don't get me wrong, I do prefer the English sub versions for certain animes as it all depends. For animes like Naruto or Naruto: Shippuden, I find that Naruto (the character) sounds gay af when you watch the English dub version, so I just watch the English sub version for that (and I always have). For animes like Dragonball Z, it would be the complete opposite, English dub is a must for DBZ as that's what I grew up on and Goku just doesn't sound right under English sub version.

Depends the anime. For example I prefer Yu-Gi-Oh! DM with Jap/Spanish(English in this case) Sub because I don't like the censure by 4Kids (4K Media). For other animes a like the two forms: Dub and Jap/Sub. If the anime don't have a censure in the dub or the sub version is not good, I watch the dub.

I would personally prefer Original with Subs. Because they get to my screen faster and feels more natural then most dubs (though, i havent watched a English dub since early One Piece era... Have things improved?).

My next factor would be reminiscing the old voice actors (for watching older series I watched when I was younger, Dragon Ball in English/Chinese dubs). They just have greater childhood impact that make me enjoy the series much much better. Heck, I didnt even realise Japanese Goku had a high pitch voice until I watched DB Super... Makes me want to watch the dubs version so much. 

• 4 weeks later...

I rather English Dub... For one I don't know Japanese. 2. I hate reading while watching.

3. I watched the advertisement for the last Dragon ball movie and the Japanese guy doing the power up sounds and things

sounded like a total bitch.. The English dub the fighters sounded like real men.

I also really do like the English voices and have fun trying to work out what voices have been in what anime shows I have seen.

While I probably do watch more dubbed anime, I do also like subbed. It just really depends on the anime. Like SoulEater to me in a million times better in Japanese than English just because I feel that the characters are better expressed and same thing for Lucky Star. Cowboy Bebop is the prefect example of excellent dubbing. I don't like its all that jiving in Japanese, not so fluid.

• 3 weeks later...

the reason i prefer dubs over subs usually has to do with the way the show is localized, generally the localization writers try to match the dubs with the characters and have their translations of things that generally make sense. sometimes i like to add in subs with the english dub to catch the differences between the localization and the semi exact translations

I guess it depends on the show itself. Like what category it is and if the characters match their voice actors, be it the dub or original. Also sometimes when you look up an anime and you are deciding which one to watch the dub or original you might recognize some of the Va's and go for that version instead.  Sometimes you might find out you already watched the dubbed episode/version and so might stick to the dub.

• 3 weeks later...

Normally i watch a show in sub, but i feel there are some show that you just have to watch in dub (*cough**cough*Cowboy Bepop*cough*). While an voice actor can give an interpretation to a performance of a character, i feel that the Japanese cast sound more organic than the English, since most of the time the English cast is just replicating the Japanese. however, I'll still watch an English dub from time to time, just to see how a actor interoperates a roll.