Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

I generally go for Japanese. However, if the voice acting is really good and the script isn't too far from the original, then I don't really mind.

I really like the dubs for certain animes -

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Shin Chan - Vitello

Ultimate Muscle

If I do watch a dubbed anime, i tend to watch it with japanese subtitles as well.

There has been some instances where some Japanese animes have terrible voice acting or voices that does not suit the character to me - in that case, I generally watch another version, drop it, or read it.

Honestly, If people just Confine themselves to English dubbed anime only and refuse to watch a series until it's dubbed, you'll be missing out on some great shows or Movies.

Just my two cents..

I really agree with this. I used to be really put off of subs, I think because I was lazy. But now I don't really care. I'll watch anything, haha. If I had a choice, I'd watch the dubbed version though. Although apparently Durarara!! has been dubbed and I didn't even know, haha.

Most of the stuff I watch is subbed because the dub is ether not out there, or if it is, it is really bad, and edits and changes the story.

Plus the Japanese actors are usually better, and I like there voices, exspecially Tomokazu Sugita, Hiroaki Hirata and YÅ« Kobayashi's voice acting.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

I was a big fan of the dub. Couldnt stand the sub! First anime, as for many obviously was Dragonball Z. Grew up with the dub, then got into Naruto and beared with the dub (which I thought was ok, apart from BELIEVE IT!) Then once I caught up, I started on the sub and any other anime I have thus watched, its always the sub! I do switch from time to time just to compare.

I watch both, I am often surprised at how much I missed when I watch the dub after the sub..  I also really like being able to focus on the screen action instead of constantly looking at the words (then there are the subs that put something on the screen but not quite enough (or nowhere near enough) time to read it. And I end up having to repeat parts.  However I do enjoy both.

General rule:

If it is already dubbed, I watch the dubbed only.

If it is partially dubbed I watch Dub until Sub

If it is not dubbed, I obviously watch the dub... patience is [not] a virtue

If it is not subbed, I rage and moan and bitch... to nobody in particular.   (works 100% of the time 50% of the time)