Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

The old argument of 'But dubs suck!' really doesn't apply anymore, for which I am grateful. Funi puts out great dubs, and even mediocre dubs like Madokas are far better than what we had in the past.

So I'm no justified purist, or anything like that o3o

If I was born earlier, when dubs were not nearly as good, maybe I would become one...

But I wasn't, hurrah!

So for me it just comes down to what is available~

I have no preference!

The old argument of 'But dubs suck!' really doesn't apply anymore, for which I am grateful. Funi puts out great dubs, and even mediocre dubs like Madokas are far better than what we had in the past.

So I'm no justified purist, or anything like that o3o

If I was born earlier, when dubs were not nearly as good, maybe I would become one...

But I wasn't, hurrah!

So for me it just comes down to what is available~

I have no preference!

you make a good point tielfigs, about being around before - dubs really were quit abysmal, that is why i would only watch with subs(which was before all my seizre and migraine issues) - if i had not been  able to read subs (there were not many dubs about 20 years ago) i would probably have never been such a big anime fan!

i watch both.first subbed and then over again dubbed.to be honest the duds sometimes bring out the a certain feel to a show, dont really know how to explain it but some shows are just more funny in dub for eg. school rumble.and its nice to watch the shows than to read them.but japanese voice actors put more energy into their acting

Edited by hack5

For a long time I watched subs (mostly german) , I dont know why maybe becouse I heard of crappy dubs but when I started with eng sub I switched fast to dubs since I think the english language is much more funny, emotional a.s.o then the german.

Also in my oppinion watching animes dub is much more entertaining then subs, simply because you hear the emotions in the voice

• 2 weeks later...

I actually prefer dubs these days just because I can wash dishes or do my taxes or cook food while I watch because so long as I can still here the television I can still ingest the story. Subs aren't bad I just don't always have time to focus all my attention on the TV or computer to read all those tiny little words that scroll across the screen. Not only that but, when character's are getting into arguments or multiple character's are talking all at once I have to go back and pause it to read all the subtitles. However, if a show comes along that I am just dying to watch I'll drop everything and divert my full attention to it or make time so I can and watch it in the subbed version.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought about posting a new thread but decided to use this one instead because it it close enough to what i want to talk about.

I want to hear opinions about the english SOA-dub now that the first episode is available, preliminary ones at least. Albeit not a fan of SOA (too many plotholes and the second arc is just shitty, laden with fanservice - MY OPINION!) i'm interested in thoughts about it apart from mine.

I'm not too fond of what i heard, my two biggest complaints being Kirito's weak sounding actor and, a common theme with many american dubs, overlocalisation. Hearing someone saying 'Bro' in an anime taking place in Japan (it's a virtual world, yes, but all the players are japanese) sounds wrong in my ears. This is a reason i sometimes prefer german dubs (my mother tongue) although the voice acting is far from stellar either, but they normaly try to bring across the japanese flair by preserving honorifics and common words (onii-chan, itadakimasu and so on). I also tend to think that the translations of american dubs sometimes are a bit too much on the liberal side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Japanese dubbing and English sub is the best imo. 

When the characters speak in Japanese they show more emotions that the designers and producers wanted to give them. I know and understand that actors try hard when they make the English versions, But I am sorry I can't feel the real emotions that are in the Japanese versions. I am ok with sometimes watching the English version, It's not bad at all. Just for example:
From Up on Poppy Hill:

English Dub:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vfzhfq5JA

Japanese Dub:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4LUgw8Z8Gg