Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

If it has a good dub then dubbed, but if there is no dub or the dub is shit (4kids) then sub, but with most series i'll give it 2 or 3 episodes each language. (btw biased dub haters suck and those who dont give subs a chance are missing out). currently almost 50/50 with dubs and subs with a few more dubs for nostalgia reasons.

If it has a good dub then dubbed, but if there is no dub or the dub is shit (4kids) then sub, but with most series i'll give it 2 or 3 episodes each language. (btw biased dub haters suck and those who dont give subs a chance are missing out). currently almost 50/50 with dubs and subs with a few more dubs for nostalgia reasons.

I completely agree.

Dubs aren't all that bad. And there are some really good voices IMO like Steve Blum. The original audio seems to have a lot of female talent that double doing male and female voices. I don't really have a problem with either of them.

All the anime I've watched has been dubbed, and I must say I can only name a few that just had obvious poor voice acting. If anything I think the main problem would be translation issues, but generally I find the english voice acting to be really well done. I feel there's just something about watching anime in your native language that just helps portray emotion. I've honestly tried watching subs before, especially if there's an anime I can't wait for the dub then I'll try the sub, but I have a real hard time feeling the emotions of the characters when they're speaking a foreign language and subtitles just don't do justice. For example in Fullmetal Alchemist at the funeral scene, I watched it in both versions and in the sub I really didn't feel anything, but in the dub I actually felt sad while watching. But that's just me.

But for people who say dubs suck, I think they should be more specific. What about dubs makes them suck? Is it the translation issues? Because I know that's a common issue especially when dealing with cultural differences. But do they think the voice actors suck? Well I know there are some veteran english dub voice actors that are simply amazing, like Troy Baker and Steven Blum. If those guys really sucked would they be landing big rolls all the time?

Just something to think about

definitely depends on the anime. like someone said before Cowboy bepop and the ones that showed on Toonami or adult swim were pretty good. its just that sometimes the voices are kinda weird or not what we expect them to be. But the thing about Dubbed is that sometimes they "clean up" the anime so you'll miss parts that are in the dubbed versus the subbed. 

For myself i love the Japanese audio with subs, it feels more authentic and the emotion just isnt protrayed well by alot of english voice actors. HOWEVER, in order to get my partner hooked on anime i had to get the english dubs for alot of series (she's not a fan of reading and watching at the same time) so i still hope that alot of series are pushed into being "Dubbed" or we may run out of series to watch together.

I always go Dubs even if they are terrible. Although, I'm pretty lenient on my opinion of Dubs (and most are pretty solid nowadays). If I'm watching a sub, I have to concentrate on the screen all the time or I'll miss something from the dialog. It's too much work for me (yes, I'm lazy). However, I don't mind watching subs if that's the only thing available or it's a certain anime or movie that I have to watch before the dub comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

As many has already say it depends on the quality of the dub like FMA Brotherhood  they make a very good example so i watch on either option and so english is not my native language i prefer with subtitles to learn japanese vocabulary but in some cases is a matter of tastes for ejampleSpice & Wolf i like more the dub version Horo  is so much cute and saucy than the original version but aside for some exceptions in general i prefer subs versions

As many has already say it depends on the quality of the dub like FMA Brotherhood  they make a very good example so i watch on either option and so english is not my native language i prefer with subtitles to learn japanese vocabulary but in some cases is a matter of tastes for ejampleSpice & Wolf i like more the dub version Horo  is so much cute and saucy than the original version but aside for some exceptions in general i prefer subs versions

In the past I have been all about dub and don't care how bad it is (not having seen a bad dub yet I can't compare them to subbed) But I have started to watch subbed anime and I quite enjoy their style and sound, it makes the anime seem awesome but in saying that I still prefer dub.

• 4 weeks later...

The dubs which came out during the past decade have been pretty good.

I love getting Dual-Audio releases, I listen to both tracks every now and then just to compare which I think suits a character's voice, and who does a better job at portraying them.

Aside from that, I mainly watch dub (as long as it's decent) since it makes it easier for me to appreciate the artwork and animation.

In some ways subs are good and some not.

I actually like bleach dubbed better. I usually try to watch both subbed and dubbed.

I actually prefer FMA, Soul Eater, Vampire Knight, Bleach, blue exorcist, black butler.

But I prefere other amines in sub.

Like everyone's been saying, it all depends on the company.