Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

I am watching more and more subs and find that they are always better than I expect but I still prefer dub over subbed for the reasons that I don't have to read subtitles which can cause me to miss some action or events happening on the screen and sometimes the subs go past to quickly for me to read them properly. I enjoy subbed by I will always prefer dubbed.

I guess when starting off I always tend to listen to the dub first and as long as it's reasonable I'll watch that. If it's terrible I'll go sub. I think a lot of the time though people get used to what they watched the first time. I first watched Darker than Black subbed and when I heard it dubbed I thought it just sounded horrible but my friend thought it was ok.

After a series gets licensed to the US I prefer to watch the dubs, but I check the production credits very carefully to ensure that the English dub production crew is primarily composed of the old ADV and/or Funimation crew. These guys have been doing dubs for a long time and are composed of well experienced voice actors/actresses. I generally stay away from English dubs from Sentai Filmworks as most of their English dub releases are simply not up to par vs the two I mentioned earlier - some of Sentai's releases are just horrible in terms of English dub quality (I weep for you Tears to Tiara).

gotta say, i usually prefer the subs over the english dub only because of the voices.

i mean, the japanese sort of already have a fixed voice of a character when they create it vs us trying to match a voice to that said character so that how we interpret makes the voices, occasionally, vastly different.

however, if there's a dub i'll usually check it out along side the sub. as in one episode i'll watch in subtitles and in the next episode i'll watch the dub and after a couple episodes decide which sounds better. but yeah, reading a bunch of subtitles doesn't mean much to me - more like the atmosphere that the voices are supposed to be giving is of the utmost importance. besides, there are many anime in which too much information may be lost when switched over from the japanese dub to the english dub.

occasionally, if i really like a series and i go back to rewatch it, i'll play both the dub and sub side by side (using cccp & vlc) to compare between the two. usually subs win though.

• 2 weeks later...

As the OP states, it can be either way for me when watching Anime, it all depends on what is available at the time, I have watched many many dubbed series, but I've recently found, through websites like randomc, a lot of new series have me interested. Not wanting to wait years for their realise I've begun watching a lot of subbed anime. I find both are interesting and enjoyable, I watched dubbed when I want to go to bed and just listen whilst watching subbed during the day when I'm awake and keen to read.  

I'm generally a dub person, since I do enjoy not having to read the subtitles, and these days, most dubs are of a pretty high standard, especially when you've got excellent actors like Laura Bailey and Yuri Lowenthal working on a series. Usually, I can listen to a dub even if I watched it subbed first, too. Some series I can't, though, like Mawaru Penguindrum. Some of the dubbed characters voices are... not so good.