Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

• 5 weeks later...

Well, for me, it really depends on what's going on in the anime. If its set in a mostly European/Western part of the world or the characters and places have Western/English names then I would choose the dub any day of the week. I can't stand voice actors sloppily saying "Godu sebu da kuin" when they really mean "God save the Queen". I also like to watch random anime in other languages that I know, like Hellsing Ultimate in French :D

Though there have been some exceptions.

(Like Gankutsuo, though the horrible French was almost a breaking point.)

Likewise, if the anime is set in Japan the original voice actors are probably going to do a lot better when pronouncing names and showing emotion. Or the English dub sounds too strange (i.e a Samurai talking with an Australian accent /(._.)\ )

And then there's been those anime where neither dub nor sub works, in any language at all.

in some animes i prefer to watch in dub, like FMA which i prefer to watch in english dub, but!, anime like naruto shippuuden i prefer to watch in sub. but it also resides on the basis for whom is voicing the characters eg One Piece's eng dub is horrible imo just to childish if you know what i mean

I prefer Dub's. That way I can really watch and appreciate the art (if I wanted to read I'd read manga not watch anime)...

Plus, as an actor myself, I enjoy actually seeing and understanding the emotion the characters are getting across. Voice actors put a lot of effort into creating a voice that would suit the character and be marketable. It's a bit disrespectful to count out the Dubbed voices just because it wasn't made in their native land.

I also agree with BlackWater, some anime that are clearly not Japanese are simply weird to watch with subs. Like Hellsing for instance...

So I do prefer to watch Dubbed versions. I usually watch a few of my favourite episodes subbed as well so I can the original voice, but not being Japanese myself it just doesn't sound as fluid to me.

I hate the anime elitists that protest if you don't watch the subbed versions you're not a real fan!

Ok i am what you may call a slow reader lol so eather i have to pause, read, look whats going on. or just constantly read and miss whatever is happening, so yea i am going with dubbed. im not saying that one is better then the other because its just my prefrence, also i wish they would dub alot more because it gets really hard for me to get new anime that is dubbed

It there even a contest???? Subs all the way. FOR EVERY TYPE of FOREIGN MEDIA. I'm sorry but English should NOT be the dominating spoken language. And it just really ruins the mood/tone set up in the original version when you have weird English dubbing in there. It just doesn't do it for me. I'm majorly turned off by dubbing. SUBS all the way. NO CONTEST!

It there even a contest???? Subs all the way. FOR EVERY TYPE of FOREIGN MEDIA. I'm sorry but English should NOT be the dominating spoken language. And it just really ruins the mood/tone set up in the original version when you have weird English dubbing in there. It just doesn't do it for me. I'm majorly turned off by dubbing. SUBS all the way. NO CONTEST!

Like most of us said, a lot of us prefer to watch dub purely because we like to do other things at the same time rather than just watch the anime only. I'm not disagreeing with you in that the original language with subs gives you the sort of feel that the people who created the anime were going for. But for most us who like to multitask, we prefer dub. Also I prefer dub cause I dislike reading subs after subs, easier on my mind.

Subs for sure. Dont get me wrong, there are some great dubs out there (Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, GITS, YYH, Air Gear, FMP, Hellsing). However I feel that most dubs nowadays are subpar compared to its Japanese counterpart. A good decent amount of the dubs cant really retain that emotion emitted from the sub (One Piece). Which is why I'm willing to buy subbed-only BDs of the anime that I liked, even if it's a little more than usual.

Like most of us said, a lot of us prefer to watch dub purely because we like to do other things at the same time rather than just watch the anime only. I'm not disagreeing with you in that the original language with subs gives you the sort of feel that the people who created the anime were going for. But for most us who like to multitask, we prefer dub. Also I prefer dub cause I dislike reading subs after subs, easier on my mind.

Let me rephrase myself: It's NO CONTEST FOR ME. The post that I posted was 100% my preferences and opinions. It is by no means meant to undermine anyone else's preferences or opinion. Because if you liked dub you like dub. Nothing wrong with that. I'm simply answering the original question in which I prefer and I have to say that for me it is no contest because I like subs. I usually don't watch much anime to begin with because I like reading the manga much better. But when I do I usually like sitting down and fully enjoying it. And for me fully enjoying comes with watch the original voicing in the original language... therefore subs. However, I will point out that I have come across some rather well done dubs. I think my favorite dubs was the Slayers series. I actually watched this in dub first before the subs back when I was a newb. However, of course now I only watch the subs because I still like the Japanese voicing better. There are nuances there that can't fully come across with dubs.

Prefer dubs when available, though I watch subs frequently if that's all that is available. If you're reading you aren't watching, Mayizaki was quoted as saying that 'if you are watching a sub, you are missing 30% of the product', approx. the amount of screen space covered by the subs. Personally I think the whole arguement is pointless, who cares how someone elses watches their anime.

English Dub is easier to follow, but after a while the voices in english you find repeating on other episodes. Take for instance the actor that does Ichigo's voice in the english dubbed version of Bleach, it's the same freaking guy that does Izaya's voice in Durarara. Overtime you find more and more actors doing the same voices on various english dubbed shows.