folding@home

Leviathan87

so is anyone in to folding

if you dont know what folding is see below

Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

http://folding.stanford.edu

I fold my clothes.

lol, well seriously, I'm not sure what it is you are talking about.

Basically, its a small program you install on your computer, that simulates the folding of proteins. This data is then transmitted back to Standford U, in California, for medical research. Usually this sort of stuff is done on supercomputers, but the beauty of Folding@Home is that it can run on pretty much any computer. That way, the researchers don't have to pay for computer time on a supercomputer, they get the world to do it. There's a version that runs on a PS3, I used it myself plenty of times.