Football Discussion Thread

Ronin

(Providing he doesn't get sent off)

Lol :) Yeah, that little bugger always get a yellow card at least :)

I think that you can't really compare Kaka to Shevchenko as he is right now, he suffered many injuries and hasn't been playing his best for the last 3-4 years. I remember when he was in top form, he could score from anywhere, now that Shevchenko could have done good in PL. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gattuso is a gladiator. I don't really follow the Scottish league but when he played for Rangers it must have really toughened him up. Any defensive midfielder coming from physically demanding leagues will do very well in Serie A. A good example is Patrick Vieira now on Inter, he's lost a bit of form. Though on Juventus he was dominating.

England look good so far in Euro. Wright-Phillips is really starting to bloom for the team (I love SWP, needs to get out of Chelsea I think). Italy is hanging in there (team I pull for :) ). I think we can beat Scotland.

Though Scotland, even in the CL are doing well. 2-1 Celtic over Milan and Rangers murdering Lyon 3-0.

EDIT: I love Sheva, but let's face it, if you have Pirlo and Kaka in top form when he was there, you are guaranteed goals. To go from a league where it's like playing chess, to a league where you play caveman is hard. Now that Shevchenko really needs to work to hold up against defenders he just kind of falls apart. Still a quality striker no less, just not the Milan striker he was.

I think that you can't really compare Kaka to Shevchenko as he is right now, he suffered many injuries and hasn't been playing his best for the last 3-4 years. I remember when he was in top form, he could score from anywhere, now that Shevchenko could have done good in PL. :)

I think Shevchenko would've been a great success in the Premiership had he come over directly from Dynamo Kiev as opposed to spending 5-6 years in Italy first.

Playing in Italy for so long has stunted some his more natural qualities.

Wright Phillips i always believed made a foolish move of going to Chelsea where he was never going to start in the first place. I am glad he is kicking ass now with Chelsea and England since he is a real talent and hopefully will move somewhere else since when Ballack gets back , Lampard will push out to the right midfield.

Viera, Gattuso and Keane were probably the best defensive players when they all were in there peak. Now the likes of Xavi Alonso, Macherano, Diarra(Real Madrid One i think) are standing out. I am probably forgetting some but they were the only ones coming to mind.

Sheva went because of his golfing buddy Abromavich wanted him to come down. Thats were the trouble started with Mourinho and the owner.

He gets lost in action in the EPL as where at Ac Milan he was a box striker who was one of the best finishers behind Trezeguet and Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Now he has to stay outisde the box and manuver his way into the box to find room which is hard to do.

He gets lost in action in the EPL as where at Ac Milan he was a box striker who was one of the best finishers behind Trezeguet and Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Now he has to stay outisde the box and manuver his way into the box to find room which is hard to do.

This is what I mean. Playing in Italy for so long has turned him into nothing more than a goal-getter. If you look back to his Dynamo Kiev days, the guy used to go all over the field.

Yeah well he is probably wishing he stayed since his retiring image is not going to be as good as it should.

I like the guy but i think it is just a shame. maybe if Drogba leaves at the end of the season , Shev could get more game time.

Drogba said something like if they don't win the champions league , turning 30 years old. It is his last chance to transfer for a decent fee .

Drogba was apparently close to a deal with Real Madrid, but they pulled out because they think he is too old.

Drogba was very close to Mourinho, as were quite a few of the players. A few of them were unhappy at the way he was treated, so it wouldn't surprise me see to abit of an exodus at Chelsea in the summer.

I think some teams in Italy would love Drogba, and Roma need a pure striker bad, someone who can hold up the ball and get it in the net. A lot of Roma's goals are one timers. There's nothing bad with that, but if it's not Totti, the player usually making the run on the ball is going to bullshit it. (Giuly is a prime example, great player, just can't put it in the net)

If Shevchenko can start getting in the habit to track back more and get out of the habit of cherry picking, he'll get better. Poaching is hard in the ELP unless you have size like Drogba and RVN. Even then RVN, was all over the place. Even though there seems to be more space, the ELP pretty much demands that you're constantly moving. Not that walking bullshit most strikers do in Serie A.

No way will Drogba go to Roma, in my opinion, his best option is Manchester United I think, and Ferguson would be a dumb ass if he doesn't send an offer, cause Drogba is what they need the most, not some idiots like Tevez, they have enough runners, Ronaldo, Roney, Giggs, what they need is a strong forward like Van Nistelroy, and Drogba is just that.

Viera, Gattuso and Keane were probably the best defensive players when they all were in there peak. Now the likes of Xavi Alonso, Macherano, Diarra(Real Madrid One i think) are standing out. I am probably forgetting some but they were the only ones coming to mind.

Gilberto Silva and Cesc Fabregas from Arsenal are one of the best DH couple IMO.

Yeah Drogba is a complete player so to speak, he can do almost everything decent for a striker, the only thing he needs to get out of is his diving. He did well at Marseille before he went to Chelsea so i am pretty sure he will do well.

Shevchenko needs to work harder but at the same time, the midfield really is working enough since Lampard was injured and Ballack has always been injury prone. So Wright Phillips is creating chances and Malouda is scoring goals.

The other point i wanted to make was about Robben, has anyone seen him at Real Madrid yet?. I haven't caught a game of him over there yet. He was if not still has the potential to be one of the classy left midfielders.

cause Drogba is what they need the most, not some idiots like Tevez, they have enough runners, Ronaldo, Roney, Giggs, what they need is a strong forward like Van Nistelroy, and Drogba is just that.

You know that deal wont happen since rival clubs dont trade with eachother. Tevez is physical and skillful. You can't replace RVN, it was just one of those things. If you piss off Fergie , you are gone (Same with Jaap Stam).

Huntelaar has said he is quitting Ajax so i think united and Chelsea are trying to get some agreement soon. Don't ask me why Chelsea are after him, possibly the drogba leaving scenario.

Gilberto Silva and Cesc Fabregas from Arsenal are one of the best DH couple IMO.

If i am not mistaken, denilson plays dm and Fabregas plays Central Mid, been alot more active up forward this season.

You know that deal wont happen since rival clubs dont trade with eachother. Tevez is physical and skillful.

Well yeah, but I'm just saying that they need a player like Drogba, and Tevez is just short IMO. My point is, they don't have a strong man up front, well Roney is hella strong, but he's short, a classical CF like Toni or someone similar.

If i am not mistaken, denilson plays dm and Fabregas plays Central Mid, been alot more active up forward this season.

The thing with Fabregas is that he is an all round player now, when he started playing he was DMH, still plays there sometimes.

And I think I saw Robben, he wasn't all that bad, still needs time to get used to the surroundings, but I think Real plays his type of football so it wont be too hard for him to fit in, IMO.

Well i am a United fan and i agree we need a bigger presence there. We are winning and once we get going and click together, things will be alright.

Arsenal on days are very nice to watch, on other games they give you headaches because of the not need extra pass in the box. They are taking more longer shots which are going in. I am waiting for Arsenal to take on 1 of the top 4 clubs in England to see how they fair up this season.

Every year injuries plague a team in the epl. Last year it was Arsenal with Van Persie and Henry + Gallas Out. The other season it was United with Rooney breaking his foot plus Saha and Scholes etc.

Chelsea just have injuries all the time. Terry,Lampard,Ballack aka Glass Legs,Carvalho etc all in and out out of the side.

I am not saying it is an excuse, but it does play a big part when you want to compete in all major competitions.

I'm pretty sure he expressed interest to play in Italy & Spain.

Speaking of Manchester, I still don't understand the Tevez buy. They should have went for Huntelaar.

EDIT: Haha, didn't catch posts above. Anyway, that rival trading is not completely true (Gallas <----> Cole), but I guess when Gallas said he would sit out the whole season if he didn't get out, you have no choice.

And one more thing, the complete striker is David Villa (Valencia). He is pretty much the perfect striker, too bad he isn't that great on the international level.

Owen is perfect on the international level. That guy is a mystery, I really don't understand how you can play so mediocre at club level and then turn into God when palying for England.

Yeah David Villa is complete too, the Gallas trade was sort of 'must trade' since not only did he want to sit out the season, he said he would score an own goal if was playing at Chelsea.

I don't even know whats with Owen, the kid is pretty damn special after all the injuries he has been through. Jewell is a Toon fan i think so maybe he could shed his opinion.

Shevchenko is a totaly different player for the Ukraine, I watched him against Scotland and he was every where on the park, He took everything on the park. I thought I was watching a different player.

A class defender certainly is Micah Richards, I am extremely impressed with his maturity. Altough he plays for England! Leeroy Lita is also a great young player, I am also a Reading Fan BTW.

The Scotland game tomoorow should be great. We just need 4 points from 2 games against Georgia away and Italy at Home and then we are through. To Euro 2008!

Owen is perfect on the international level. That guy is a mystery, I really don't understand how you can play so mediocre at club level and then turn into God when palying for England.

This guy's second name should be "bad luck", haven't seen him play a whole season, since he played in Liverpool. To be honest though I never liked him that much..

As a Newcastle fan, I'm getting pretty annoyed with the whole situation now. He seems to be using Newcastle as a means to get fit for England (Although he has scored goals for us). I just wish he would put us first for once.

Also I don't think Allardyce's tactics suit him very much. Apart from the odd goal he doesn't contribute much in terms of team play.